My Humps Gets the Lump Lump

Comments

• and sounds like it was written in the conference room of a marketing company.

Spot on, in fact you have this man to blame:

Best known for discovering Christina Aguilera, his most recent coup has been taking BEP from "Falling Up" to "My Humps".

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    Hahahaha, okay okay wow, I go to fix myself a cup of tea and come back to this. I like Daft Punk too, I was just trying to think of a quick example and that was a bad one 'cause I play that shit too. What I'm trying to say is, in SF I go back and forth between spots that are more lowscale where I can play whatever and the crowd is into it versus these really upscale bougie spots, and you should see some of the shit played there is all I'm saying. Terrible example. I don't know, I cringe when I hear some of this shit, but titles are at a loss right now for me. My bad dudes.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    and sounds like it was written in the conference room of a marketing company.

Spot on, in fact you have this man to blame:

Best known for discovering Christina Aguilera, his most recent coup has been taking BEP from "Falling Up" to "My Humps".

who dat?

• Daftpunk is the shit.
    hey! Look, we agree on something...

same hur. they got some heat.

daft punk= the great soulstrut unifyer (sp?)

"humps" is better than "run it"

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Daftpunk is the shit. If I heard that, I'd order a drink. If I heard Humps I would leave. Immediately.

Yes.

No.

Okay, to attempt to redeem myself here, if you heard Cher "Life After Love" would you leave the clurb? Or what about that new Madonna song?

• Are people actually arguing that this song good?

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    Daftpunk is the shit. If I heard that, I'd order a drink. If I heard Humps I would leave. Immediately.

Yes.

No.

• I know you aren't asking me but ehre ismy take...hmm...if I heard the new Madona I would be OK w/ it. If I hear the Cher It'd be cool if it was just a tease like 30 seconds in the middle of some other mix or something as a joke.

• Okay, to attempt to redeem myself here, if you heard Cher "Life After Love" would you leave the clurb? Or what about that new Madonna song?

I am now officially afraid of the direction this thread is headed.

Hi, [email]N@![/email]

CONFESSION: The only place I've heard that Madonna song is in my gym's cycling class.

Okay, to attempt to redeem myself here, if you heard Cher "Life After Love" would you leave the clurb? Or what about that new Madonna song?

its a successful pop[/b] song with a decent pop[/b] beat.
    i don't see it as being much different from older madonna (with one really annoying rap verse).

this is not the end of the world as you know it

folks will let 20 other stupid pop songs pass by unscathed.

exactly

in my gym's cycling class.

• Okay, to attempt to redeem myself here, if you heard Cher "Life After Love" would you leave the clurb? Or what about that new Madonna song?

I am now officially afraid of the direction this thread is headed.

Hi, [email]N@![/email]

CONFESSION: The only place I've heard that Madonna song is in my gym's cycling class.

I was playing at some spot (not the marina) and one of the girls ask for "Hey do you have the new madonna? what about M.I.A.?"

Seems like I'm digging a hole here. You guys realize what I mean is, I started out saying I would barely play "My Humps" over some other cornball stuff, and brazenly without really thinking about it used Daft Punk as an example, albeit not a good one. So I'm trying to think of songs that are far worse than "My Lumps." The tracks I brought up are songs that I have heard played in a club where I either played earlier or was going to play later on, and was at the bar semi-retching to myself. I hope that's clear.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I used to play the shit out of Cher "Believe" (aka "Life After Love) back in the day when I was spinning house on the gay circut. It was the Peter Rauhofer mix though, kind of Euro does NY dark tech-house. That's a classic record.

I'm waiting for the day when all the hipsters' musical tastes shift towards what will be the sound of the moment - gay house. Then I got shit on lock. Wes will have NOTHING on me.

Still haven't heard the Madonna but it's Madonna. No matter how bad it is, it is what it is. Can't really hate on that. And I like some Madonna, and Madonna as an artist in whole.

Which is kind of how I look at BEP. It is what it is. Yes, it sucks, but if you stop trying to look at it from some sort of hip-hop POV you will see that it's just formulated pop drivel. It's stupid. And harmless.

Don't get me wrong. I can't stand the shit. But when I'm spinning for a bunch of square white girls and I play it (Lil' Jon Remix, thank you) they go crazy and all is well.

Which is kind of how I look at BEP. It is what it is. Yes, it sucks, but if you stop trying to look at it from some sort of hip-hop POV you will see that it's just formulated pop drivel. It's stupid. And harmless.

Don't get me wrong. I can't stand the shit. But when I'm spinning for a bunch of square white girls and I play it (Lil' Jon Remix, thank you) they go crazy and all is well.

To piggyback for a minute , YES. THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO SAY.[/b]

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Don't get me wrong, when any of youse come out to see me within the next month or so (SF, LA, CANADA ET.AL.) I'm not gonna be playing it.

• Oliver:

My Humps is not only insanely stupid as noted before, it also bites the fuck out of Milkshake and I Like the Way You Move, among other songs. It is the lowest common denominator of pop/hip-hop in 2005 and sounds like it was written in the conference room of a marketing company. When I hear it, I want to tear my radio out of the dashboard and throw it out the window.

Laffy Taffy is dumb, I agree, but I like lots of dumb music and movies. Smartness is not my criteria for liking art. D4L's production is raw as hell, not slick like BEP. These two songs sound COMPLETELY different. Like I said in my Turntable Lab review,

"'Laffy Taffy' is some weird shit. Besides the soldier-ish drum roll, it sounds like the track was made on a Commodore 64 with a busted spring. Seriously at what point did rappers from Atlanta start tailoring their records for Radio Clit? Glitch in the strip club = next level."

Thus, apples and oranges.

i disagree. are u saying Laffy Taffy is better just because it has more street credibility? if you agree that both songs are insanely stupid, then why does D4L score points because it sounds like a rejected beat from Hustle & Flow.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

i disagree. are u saying Laffy Taffy is better just because it has more street credibility? if you agree that both songs are insanely stupid, then why does D4L score points because it sounds like a rejected beat from Hustle & Flow.

Cause the streets is watching, holmes.

I cannot STAND this dude. I dunno. I just want to smash him in the face.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts

I cannot STAND this dude. I dunno. I just want to smash him in the face.

AYO!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

I cannot STAND this dude. I dunno. I just want to connect my Timberland boot in the face with a swift kick.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    Oliver:

My Humps is not only insanely stupid as noted before, it also bites the fuck out of Milkshake and I Like the Way You Move, among other songs. It is the lowest common denominator of pop/hip-hop in 2005 and sounds like it was written in the conference room of a marketing company. When I hear it, I want to tear my radio out of the dashboard and throw it out the window.

Laffy Taffy is dumb, I agree, but I like lots of dumb music and movies. Smartness is not my criteria for liking art. D4L's production is raw as hell, not slick like BEP. These two songs sound COMPLETELY different. Like I said in my Turntable Lab review,

"'Laffy Taffy' is some weird shit. Besides the soldier-ish drum roll, it sounds like the track was made on a Commodore 64 with a busted spring. Seriously at what point did rappers from Atlanta start tailoring their records for Radio Clit? Glitch in the strip club = next level."

Thus, apples and oranges.

I like the way Laffy Taffy sounds. I like the beat, the chorus and the verses. I am not just saying I like it better - I am saying they shouldn't even be compared. They sound nothing like each other.

• Which is kind of how I look at BEP. It is what it is. Yes, it sucks, but if you stop trying to look at it from some sort of hip-hop POV you will see that it's just formulated pop drivel. It's stupid. And harmless.

To piggyback for a minute , YES. THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO SAY.[/b]

I'm feeling how this thread became a little Strut microcosm:
    ill-considered statements, ridiculous over-analysis of pop garbage, ad hominem attacks, misunderstood posts, labored after-the-fact clarifications, inside jokes. Delicious!!!!

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts

I'm not sayin' I dig BEP or anything (actually, I have no opinion on their music other than that I think the group are the most blatant example of sell-out EVAR), but I find Fergie very TAP-pable (PAP-able?) in this photo.

SG

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I have no opinion on their music other than that I think the group are the most blatant example of sell-out EVAR

Would people please quit talking about how Black Eyed Peas "sold out"?

Their music was always trash--they just traded in the trappings of nativearrestedpharcydism for a different set of signifiers.

• I have no opinion on their music other than that I think the group are the most blatant example of sell-out EVAR

Their music was always trash--they just traded in the trappings of nativearrestedpharcydism for a different set of signifiers.

While their music has always been trash, it is known that they absolutely sold out. The actual facts are that Ron Fair (pictured above) approached them and said more or less "look, you guys can continue to sell a few hundred thousand units and tour year round for the rest of your careers. Or, we can get some professional songwriters, producers, and pop stars involved, retool your image, and make you superstars." This is not a made up account, this is how it went down. BEP were offered a choice, to either stay true to themselves (which doesn't make them good, btw) or literally "sell out".

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    I have no opinion on their music other than that I think the group are the most blatant example of sell-out EVAR

Now that I think about it, you're probably right.

I wonder what their next bandwagon jump will be.

SG

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

While their music has always been trash, it is known that they absolutely sold out. The actual facts are that Ron Fair (pictured above) approached them and said more or less "look, you guys can continue to sell a few hundred thousand units and tour year round for the rest of your careers. Or, we can get some professional songwriters, producers, and pop stars involved, retool your image, and make you superstars." This is not a made up account, this is how it went down. BEP were offered a choice, to either stay true to themselves (which doesn't make them good, btw) or literally "sell out".

Ehh, I'm not sure how "true to themselves" they ever were, although I'm familiar with what happened between them and Ron Fair; it just seems to me as if they traded in one extremely calculated approach to using an image to sell really bad music for another more successful one, i.e., they've been doing the same thing all along, and it just took Ron Fair to help them get it right.