Non-JB produced Lyn/Marva/Vicki?

bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
the only stuff i know about by any of these ladies that was not produced by James Brown are 2 singles by Marva Whitney, one on T-neck and the other on Excello. Did Lyn or Vicki have much/any recorded output after parting ways with hardest working man in show business?

Comments

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Hm, there was a big write-up on Marva in WaxPo maybe? There were other singles after the two you mentioned I think... Forte label?

Never heard of any later Lyn or Vicki material... but there could be stuff from the past 15-20 years, when the Brits were rediscovering them (I know some of the other members of the JB camp had new albums during this time to cash in...)

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Hm, there was a big write-up on Marva in WaxPo maybe? There were other singles after the two you mentioned I think... Forte label?

Never heard of any later Lyn or Vicki material... but there could be stuff from the past 15-20 years, when the Brits were rediscovering them (I know some of the other members of the JB camp had new albums during this time to cash in...)

w/ Patra doing a remake of Think??? It's not really any good though.

• Non-JB:

Vicki Anderson[/b]
    "You And Me Together/ You And Me Together (Rap)" (Dash 5066) 1980

Marva Whitney[/b]
    "This Is My Quest/ Giving Up On Love" (T-Neck TN-922)
    "Daddy Don???t Know About Sugar Bear/ We Need More (But Somebody Gotta Sacrifice)" (Forte 1114/ 1115)
    "Daddy Don???t Know About Sugar Bear/ We Need More (But Somebody Gotta Sacrifice)" (Excello 2321)
    "Don???t Let Our Love Fade Away/ Live And Let Live??? (Excello 2328) 1972
    "(Hey, You And You And You And You) I???ve Lived The Life/ Nothing I???d Rather Be Than Your Weakness" (Forte 11151) 1974
    "Nothing I???d Rather Be/ I???ve Lived The Life" (Forte 6045-28) 1975
    "(Get Ready For) The Changes/ All Alone I???ve Loved You" (Forte 1117) 1977

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    there was a big write-up on Marva in WaxPo maybe?

Do you recall what ish?

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    there was a big write-up on Marva in WaxPo maybe?

Do you recall what ish?

#3. The article is written by Mr. Carfagna himself.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    Non-JB:

Vicki Anderson[/b]

Marva Whitney[/b]
    "This Is My Quest/ Giving Up On Love" (T-Neck TN-922)
    "Daddy Don???t Know About Sugar Bear/ We Need More (But Somebody Gotta Sacrifice)" (Forte 1114/ 1115)
    "Daddy Don???t Know About Sugar Bear/ We Need More (But Somebody Gotta Sacrifice)" (Excello 2321)
    "Don???t Let Our Love Fade Away/ Live And Let Live??? (Excello 2328) 1972
    "(Hey, You And You And You And You) I???ve Lived The Life/ Nothing I???d Rather Be Than Your Weakness" (Forte 11151) 1974
    "Nothing I???d Rather Be/ I???ve Lived The Life" (Forte 6045-28) 1975
    "(Get Ready For) The Changes/ All Alone I???ve Loved You" (Forte 1117) 1977

wow, thanks for that dante.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Hey, I once saw a Lyn Collins "Wheels of Life" promo 45 from her first People record that was on the King label. Dante, what's the deal with that. Are there more of these King (mis)issues by other artists?

• I didn't write the Wax Poetics article on Whitney, but probably should have.

The reason for the King issue of the Lyn Collins is due to the fact that James was leaving King and negotiating his People label for distribution by Polydor at the time. This is why "Wheels Of Life" is on King, Polydor and People.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I know it is not worth much considering the availability of the song but is it common? I have only seen one copy but I live on the west coast. I always like weird pieces like this.

• the only stuff i know about by any of these ladies that was not produced by James Brown are 2 singles by Marva Whitney, one on T-neck and the other on Excello. Did Lyn or Vicki have much/any recorded output after parting ways with hardest working man in show business?

I know it isn't completely related, but i went to SD street scene about 3 or 4 years ago and Bobby Byrd and Mrs. Byrd(aka Vicki Anderson) joined James on stage. It was pretty surreal to here Bobby doing all the punchlines and heys like it was 71 again. Everyone seemed real happy. I guess Bobby and Vicki live down in SD. Anyoen actually speak to Bobby. He is someone i would geek out over meeting.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

I didn't write the Wax Poetics article on Whitney, but probably should have.

Whoops, sorry. I can see that you did the discography and not the actual article.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Vicki Anderson[/b]

This is on 12" also.

• Options
    Non-JB:

Marva Whitney[/b]

K in Canada.

• djrdjr 511 Posts
    Non-JB:

Marva Whitney[/b]

K in Canada.

nice. what's the price for this vs. the excello issue?

• Options
    I paid 6.99 at Kop's about 7 years ago. I have no idea what it sells for.

K in Canada.

• I know it is not worth much considering the availability of the song but is it common? I have only seen one copy but I live on the west coast. I always like weird pieces like this.

I can tell you that the Music City find from a couple years ago turned up a couple hundred unplayed copies of the King version of Wheels Of Life.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    I know it is not worth much considering the availability of the song but is it common? I have only seen one copy but I live on the west coast. I always like weird pieces like this.

I can tell you that the Music City find from a couple years ago turned up a couple hundred unplayed copies of the King version of Wheels Of Life.

is that the same batch that had tons of unplayed jb-produced king 45s from dee felice, marva, vicki, bill doggett etc?

• I know it is not worth much considering the availability of the song but is it common? I have only seen one copy but I live on the west coast. I always like weird pieces like this.

is that the same batch that had tons of unplayed jb-produced king 45s from dee felice, marva, vicki, bill doggett etc?

Yup, Ray Dobard the owner of Music City was James Brown's promo man on the west coast for a spell from what I was told. He was sitting on thousands of James Brown and related 45s for decades.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

Yup, Ray Dobard the owner of Music City was James Brown's promo man on the west coast for a spell from what I was told. He was sitting on thousands of James Brown and related 45s for decades.

I have toked from that bowl several times. Nice high. The Devons was a great buzz. All those Hank Ballard funky jams.

• JayGeeJayGee 313 Posts
    I have a minter of the Excello 45 if anyone needs it.