DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
edited April 2005 in Music Talk

Comments

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Yes

Peace

h

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I listened to this album for the first time yesterday and again this morning in the rain hitting the flea market/porch sale circuit. The whole disc is pure fire, drums are bangin' and the tripped out lyrics go really well with the canvas Edan lays down. A true gem for your modern day psych-hop listening plaesure.

• awallawall 673 Posts

duh

• seriously...
    the music is incredible and the vocals are awful. no further comments needed.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

Yup. Pure

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    I cosign this statement

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    the vocals are awful

even if you dont like his style, which I do, his vocals are not awful.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

the music is incredible and the vocals are awful.

That's closer to how I feel.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Hi,

For my money, Edan is one of the few dudes who can actually kick a rhyme. If I had to come out with a list of "Top 5 Emcees of the last 5 years", dude would probably be on top.

Peace

h

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    seriously...
    just one...

you're a hater. let the man get his proppers on here.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    the vocals are awful

even if you dont like his style, which I do, his vocals are not awful.

I reckon the breaks and samples are right on and so are the rhymes/vocals.

I dont think they do the dude justice the way they record his vocals tho, like he's rappin into a pair of headphones plugged into the mic jack and its turned way up until its distorting in your fuckin face.

BUT, its still a slammin album!!

• hater i am not, critic i am. i have 2 beefs with the vocals. one, the way he speaks is difficult to listen to. its hard to explain but the way he stresses certain syllables is just plain strange (i.e. p-'s oo's wh-'s as if he's stretching his mouth as wide as it can go if you follow me). second, the way he keeps reciting hip hop history doesnt sit well with me. yes, i know he likes certain artists, but he is not more appealing for that reason and my purchase of his album wouldn't be justified for that reason. this wasnt meant as an insult. consider it a critique and solely my opinion. so, edan and your associates, if you're reading this i think the music is great and i still love you for who you are.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    seriously...
    just one...

you're a hater. let the man get his proppers on here.
    shit man. the man has got fuckin more propers than anyone else ever on this site. did we really need another post about this album? theres been like 10. plus it's not even that good. the beats=boring

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    second, the way he keeps reciting hip hop history doesnt sit well with me.

Reciting is a good word. Like it's gospel. Beats are dope though.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    big ol cosign

• autezautez 404 Posts
    feelin' it along with the new quasimoto with the skits cut out

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I got this record yesterday on the basis of the widespread kudos I've read on this board. In general I like it, but I'm not sure I'd lavish it with the same kind of praise. To me it sounds like a really good psych mix that someone on SoulStrut would do, but with some rapping that doesn't really mesh 100% with the musical backing.

Productionwise I like the dirty raw vinyl aspect, but it's far from powerful most of the time, rather just fuzzy and noisy, as one would expect from sampling from vintage psych records without too much contemporary-quality audio sweetening.

Vocalwise I think the MCs are decent including Edan, but again, they don't really seem to go with the music.

Admittedly these are my first impressions based on 1.5 listenings. But so far I'd give it an A for concept but a C for execution. Am I alone here?

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    Admittedly these are my first impressions based on 1.5 listenings. But so far I'd give it an A for concept but a C for execution. Am I alone here?

WORD...didn't blow my shit away...but I didn't hate it either...need to digest this shit a little further...like a new food for me...interesting taste...don't necessarily love it like fried chicken and pizza...but don't hate it like that wierd pickled shit that you sometimes get in Japanese food...

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts

Little late on this. Just heard it.

Really creative & different.

Feeling it 100%.

• Feeling it 100%.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

since the first post, where everyone was calling it "album of the year", in the second week of january, i've not heard a better rap/hip hop album. i think if he were black, more white guys would give him props, but there's the whole guilt thing that only gives attention/credence to those like eminem and paul barman, unjustly. even that atari song is fresh. j*rms, what about when i was hanging out of your 3rd story window, trying to blast those wasps from the outside, and that spray went straight back into my face! twice!

• SexyBNyceSexyBNyce 371 Posts
    L$B jams of the year. I dig the liberal use of the echoplex.

substituded telivision scandals with elephants and pandas

can't fade that shit.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    since the first post, where everyone was calling it "album of the year", in the second week of january, i've not heard a better rap/hip hop album.

I like what I've heard from this record. Its definitely not album of the year.

i think if he were black, more white guys would give him props, but there's the whole guilt thing that only gives attention/credence to those like eminem and paul barman, unjustly.

I don't give any attention or creedence to Eminem or Barman. It ain't about race cuz, this record has a very specialized appeal and isn't going to crossover bigtime.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    i agree, but i feel like a lot of folks dismiss it due to the fact that his "voice" is still white. my fav shit is "hit the devil in his fucking face, with his own arm"...

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

I like this record, but Primitive Plus is still getting more spins.