Rep your favourite cartoons.........

13»

Comments

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    i always get depressed for my generation when these sort of threads and i have to watch you guys are mentioning all these cringe worthy toy tie in shows. i loved a lot of that shit as a kid, but i wonder how many of you name dropping things like gi joe or ninja turtles can honestly watch them as grown folks and aren't just waxing nostalgic. i spent some time with the first few seasons of x-men, which i was obsessed with as a kid, and it was unwatchable at points. the dialouge sounds like it was churrned out by fucking hostages at gun point. and that even had the advantage of quality stories that were (loosely) culled from the comics. i don't really know what i'm ranting about. but i also think family guy is awful, if you haven't heard. here are cartoons i do like:

this (aeon flux) just came out on dvd and i need it. worth it for the liquid television shorts alone. there's also a live action movie out that i'm pretending doesn't exist.

i cannot wait for this (tom goes to the mayor) to return to tv. i usually don't fuck with a lot of the adult swim weird for the sake of weird shows (how can you guys watch 20 oz mouse or perfect hair without hemmoraging?) but i think the minimalist style of this really lends itself to the character's awkwardness.

as far as older shit goes, probably my two favorite cartoons of all time are this pair of chuck jones shorts based on these two books:

highly stylized and very 60's, they're like watching a reid miles cover in motion. 'bear that wasn't' recently came out on a loony tunes classic collection and (for some reason) 'dot and the line' is a bonus on some wack doris day dvd, but both are worth seeking out.

oh and i seek bakshi's mighty mouse.

you guys remember when cartoon network played old and good cartoons and not 24 hour reject nickolodean knock offs, anime and family guy? those were the days. now they even play non cartoons, i saw the live action batman movie on there the other night.