Horace Silver

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited November 2005 in Record Collecting
the acquisition of more Horace Silver sides is always a cause for celebration for me...the past weekend a got two more and it is all I listen to at home...damn I love this guy's writing and playing...my favorite jazz pianist/composer. You can not be in a bad mood when you listen to him. Plaese for someone to send the Horace Silver Trio 10" it Memphis plaese. Thank you.

Comments

• anyone know why Horace Split from the Jazz Messengers? Just the thought of hearing something like "Bonita" or the "Natives are getting restless" with Art...man. Also, at least until folks like Cobham started playing with him, all of the drummers on his records drum in Art's style, so it obviously couldnt be a matter of differing styles or tastes. Oh well, I guess it is a good thing as we have twice/three times as many recordings as we would have if they spent the 60s and 70s together

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    hell yes, brilliant artist. And Song for my Father still ranks as one of my top jazz chunes

• My first and still my favorite
    Attached files

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Art liked to switch line ups on a regular basis didn't he? The Jazz Messengers was Art's version of a jazz college for talented players and then they'd go out into the world. Blakey gaves breaks to a lot of very talented people.

• Art liked to switch line ups on a regular basis didn't he? The Jazz Messengers was Art's version of a jazz college for talented players and then they'd go out into the world. Blakey gaves breaks to a lot of very talented people.

yeah, I thought about that, but I didnt know the Messengers were like that from the get go, but you're probably right.

• Curtis Fuller once told me that the OG Messengers started in Pittsburgh with him on trombone, Eddie Jefferson, Blakey on piano and Erroll Garner on drums, or some crazy shit like that!!

i don't know why Silver split from Blakey, but my guess would be they each wanted their own leadership. if i remember correctly the 1st Messengers lps were just the collective name of the band, not "Art Blakey and the jazz Messengers."

Just looked this up - in 1955 Blakey, Silver, Kenny Dorham and Hank Mobley formed a band called Horace Silver and the Jazz Messengers. Horace left after a year and it became Art Blakey's outfit. So Horace was the original leader and Blakey stepped in to fill his shoes when he left. Still can't find out why he moved on though...

• I have like 15 Silver albums, I agree he's probably one of the top 5 Jazz composers in the history of the music. The man was a straight up musical genius like Mingus (but nothing like Mingus somehow). I'd have to say my favorite Silver album is:

"The African Queen" and "Pretty Eyes" are unstopable.

I don't have enough Horace Silver - what an incredible output.

• def. agree with you. this is my absolute favorite horace silver record. i love the track "Shirl," but i also like his album The Stylings of Silver too.

• Just looked this up - in 1955 Blakey, Silver, Kenny Dorham and Hank Mobley formed a band called Horace Silver and the Jazz Messengers. Horace left after a year and it became Art Blakey's outfit. So Horace was the original leader and Blakey stepped in to fill his shoes when he left. Still can't find out why he moved on though...

Blakey was using the name "Jazz Messengers" in the late forties for a big band he led. I think the Jazz Messengers moniker was his from the get go. Silver was a hard bop pioneer and one of the first to branch out of the blues and gospel and introduce some of the first soul and funk elements in his compositions. Dude was very bad ass!

• I love Horace's music - when he sticks to instrumentals.

I hear you on that. I don't mind the vocals on senor blues though.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I love Horace's music - when he sticks to instrumentals.

Not even with Andy & Salome Bey?

Not even with Andy & Salome Bey?

To be honest, those psychobabble lyrics that used to appear in the gatefolds of his albums scared me away!!!

Seriously, though, what I've actually heard here & there, as far as Horace Silver vocals, hasn't really impressed me. If the singers don't sink it, then the preachy "self-help" lyrics will. I'd sooner stick with "Filthy McNasty" and "Song For My Father."

• roistoroisto 879 Posts

One of my favorites by Horace.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts

One of my favorites by Horace.
    Picked this up this weekend and it has been on steady rotate

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    "peace" is seriously one of my favourite songs of all time. His range of emotion in his playing is very versatile, covers all the bases.

• You can not be in a bad mood when you listen to his "old american funky blues"

• i love this album! it's all about "filthy macnasty"... i'm actually a fan of most of the late 60's early 70's blue note titles, but horace silvers' albums from that period never really appeal to me. "total response" is the best out the bunch, but still a bit bland, in my opinion. his earlier work is immensely better.

• his earlier work is immensely better
    co-sign

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    his earlier work is immensely better
    co-sign

I celebrate his entire catalog. Period.