If you could play any instrument REALLY WELL

Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
which would it be?? For those who play an instrument really well, I envy you.for me: piano, a big 12 foot steinway.

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    which would it be?? For those who play an instrument really well, I envy you.

for me: piano, a big 12 foot steinway.

Co-sign hommie! I need to start piano lessons.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Piano as well. I could then move on over to the Hammond B-3 and attempt to be semi-funky.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    i'd pick sampler.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Rhodes, Vibes or Kalimba...it still my mind how precise the playing is on 'Smiling Billy Suite'.

Anyone who's ever tried to play one of those things knows what I mean.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    drums. im semi good. but no where near REALLY good

• B3 or pedal steel, but preferably both, simultaneously.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    first drums and then sitar

• slavinslavin 577 Posts
    drums. im semi good. but no where near REALLY good

same here

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

Sitar is another good one, although I've wanted to play the tabla for years. Sitar requires a hell of a lot of determination and time, but that can be said for any instrument.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Koto. Those things sound ill and are hard to play. I jammed with a guy who played one and he really pushed it beyond the Japaneese tea house sound most would think is all it's good for.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    fender rhodes.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Mouth organ - like Little Stevie or Taj Mahal

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    For me saxophone (tenor), cos?? of its sound and portability.
    You can play it wherever you want.

• first drums and then sitar

Sitar is another good one, although I've wanted to play the tabla for years. Sitar requires a hell of a lot of determination and time, but that can be said for any instrument.
    agreed

True, but there are things like tabla that take some seriously advanced skill. It's one of those things you can't "sorta" play. IE you can sorta scratch and you don't have to be Q Bert. But with tablas you have to practice for a long time to even sound half ass. Same with sitar. If you get proper training they make you play that 2 string drone thing for a while before they even let you tounch a sitar. Same with real African drumming, you get to play the single bell for a year before they even give you a drum.

More cowbell baby!!!!!!!!!

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Rhodes, Vibes or Kalimba...it still my mind how precise the playing is on 'Smiling Billy Suite'.

Not being a dick here Drewn, but finger piano/kalimba is actually pretty easy to play, just rough on the fingers.Give it a try! It sounds/looks less complicated than it really is (less keys than a piano!) They have a build your own mbira kit you can find on the internet prolly that costs next to nothing, which have close to the same sound as a kalimba. What is impressive to me about Smilin Billy Suite(and perhaps we're on the same page) is the precision (what sounds like) improvisation.

My personal choice of instrument I'd like to be able to play would be standup bass. Shit is rugged, I still remember going to college visits and dude playing bass for the parents and students. Shit was dope. I'm not good with stringed instruments though

Peace
    T.N.

• drums, what else???

• Skin flute

Damn, really?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Bass.

Chuck Rainey is a diety.

I almost bought a 50's upright during a short period where I was flush with cash, but it was gone when I went back. That would have been cool to take lessons on.

Instruments I have owned in my lifetime, intending to learn but never getting anywhere:

guitar
    clarinet
    bass
    keyboard (80's casio drumpad handclap jawn)
    trumpet
    sax-a-mo-phone (my dad's, he has at least 4)

• soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts
    fender rhodes.

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    The Timpani or maybe the Ukelele

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Co-sign on the piano.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    guitar. the ladies dig

• djrdjr 511 Posts

I used to play bass guitar pretty badly & played a few shows in Iowa City, IA.

I wish I knew how to play drums, or at least organ.
    I have a Farfisa in the spare room that I used to mess with,
    but now it just sits there....

• Honestly.. If I could play the bongo's really well that would be dope

• drums

Saying this as a mediocre bassist.

If i had the room for it, I would buy the first piece of shit kit I saw and bang on it 24/7.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I've played guitar for going on 20 years, but I've always wanted to play piano well. It must be amazing to be able play like Herbie Hancock or Bill Evans.

On a related note, I've always thought that if one could play and sing like Nat King Cole you would have to keep the women off you with a rabid pit bull, especially nowadays when no one can really play or sing well.

Not being a dick here Drewn, but finger piano/kalimba is actually pretty easy to play, just rough on the fingers.Give it a try! It sounds/looks less complicated than it really is (less keys than a piano!) They have a build your own mbira kit you can find on the internet prolly that costs next to nothing, which have close to the same sound as a kalimba. What is impressive to me about Smilin Billy Suite(and perhaps we're on the same page) is the precision (what sounds like) improvisation.

My personal choice of instrument I'd like to be able to play would be standup bass. Shit is rugged, I still remember going to college visits and dude playing bass for the parents and students. Shit was dope. I'm not good with stringed instruments though

Peace
    T.N.

They have so few tines you can pretty much pluck things in any order and it sounds cool. I'm sure there are big ones that take a little more skill, but all the one I've seen have 10 tines or less.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    which would it be?? For those who play an instrument really well, I envy you.

for me: piano, a big 12 foot steinway.

for me: skin flute, my big 12 inch skin flute.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I was in a grocery store with my friend a few months ago. The Bee Gee's were playing on "the house system". She said, "do you wish you could sing like the Bee Gee's?"

I do wish that...

Also, I've played Guitar & bass for years, and I've always known fellow shredders of the stringed variety that can pick up keyboards like nuthin'. Not me. What gives?