How much time do you practice DJing?

2»

Comments

• I am trying to constantly elevate what I do, that means that you have to be excellent in all areas of DJing. Party rockin, skills, presence, skratchin, backspinnin, knowing your records, nice on the mic.

How do you become an excellent "backspinner"? Am i missing something with the dj lingo, or are you literally talking about spinning the record backwards??

????????

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    a little bit of scratch goes a long way. if you're at a club, cut a little bit on the kick drum to get into a mix and a little bit at the end of the mix (echo it out on the up and downs type shit). rock doubles on the intro or the break, not during the vocals. don't beat juggle (ie don't rock doubles to the point where you take it into half time). for god's sake don't play an instrumental and scratch a battle record sound over it at a party. too much skillz = showing off = public masturbation. scratching more than a little bit is annoying. i just want the music to be fun for the people who are in the room, and to sound tight and keep it interesting. make the transition hot, then let the damn song play. if you gotta do something to keep from getting bored, play with the EQs. better yet have a drink. sing along. it's not about level of difficulty, it is about music. i am positive that most people who go out clubbing feel the same way.

• I've been DJing since 8th grade...I think that was 1998. I got hooked by J-Rocc and Babu on the Soundbombing II CD and am still a devotee of that style. I like to get intricate with my turntable work, but instead of scratching a phrase to death, I trick mix, beat juggle and backspin. I'd like to practice 80 hours a week. I love DJing and I primarily do it for myself.

However, Im a college student and have little time to practice. This kills me everyday. I can't wait till I graduate and have some time to play with records. I also can't wait till my girl comes back from study abroad in London, but that's way off topic.

I play house parties and charity events. I want to start doing bars and clubs but school is stopping me from getting around to that right now. I've had a radio show for a while now on my university station and am going to get back to that next semester.

I'm weaknesses are my shallow crates and music knowledge. I'm trying to learn more everyday. That's why I started lurking around Soul Strut. I also don't know what the fuck to say on the mic. I'll say my name. Everytime I do the "make some noise if your having a good time tonight" blah blah blah, I feel like a herb. However, I have secret dreams of yelling my ass off like DJ Kool and Fatman Scoop.

My stengths are probably technical ability and creativity. I listen to a really broad range of music and try to mix my records and genres in as many different combinations as possible. You know, keep it as interesting as possible.

I have Serato and BPM on that. I also use alot of vinyl which I try to keep BPMed, but I've been falling behind with that recently.

• However, Im a college student and have little time to practice. This kills me everyday. I can't wait till I graduate and have some time to play with records. I also can't wait till my girl comes back from study abroad in London, but that's way off topic.

Dude, I hate to break it to you, but you will never has as much time to mess around with records than when you are in college. Get it in now, cause soon you gotta pay the bills.

• However, Im a college student and have little time to practice. This kills me everyday. I can't wait till I graduate and have some time to play with records. I also can't wait till my girl comes back from study abroad in London, but that's way off topic.

Dude, I hate to break it to you, but you will never has as much time to mess around with records than when you are in college. Get it in now, cause soon you gotta pay the bills.

I'm an art student at Carnegie Mellon. It's not State U. It's a constant grind here. I work Friday nights in studio till 9PM and then go out. Saturdays are the same. I'm on a homework break right now.

co-sizzle.

I'm an art student at Carnegie Mellon. It's not State U. It's a constant grind here. I work Friday nights in studio till 9PM and then go out. Saturdays are the same. I'm on a homework break right now.

dude I was an art student too. btu since you're an art student you will have a lot of time after you graduate.

• -

dude I was an art student too. but since you're an art student you will have a lot of time after you graduate.

See, I'm telling you. But I guess the plan will fall through when I pawn my turntables for food.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    hi.

been DJing out mostly since last year at a small bar, but mainly been a bedroom DJ since 97.

i used to practice 2-3 hrs a day just random blends and doubles, and scratches, but not as much anymore. now i usually just throw on some records and listen to a song or 2 before I start mixing...

before DJing out, I'm more for doing plain mixes at home

My weaknesses ?

too lazy to get out there and get more gigs, lack confidence and trust in myself, too stubborn to play danceable good music, oh and song selection is my ajor weakness too

no, i don't BPM my records.

• hi.

been DJing out mostly since last year at a small bar, but mainly been a bedroom DJ since 97.

i used to practice 2-3 hrs a day just random blends and doubles, and scratches, but not as much anymore. now i usually just throw on some records and listen to a song or 2 before I start mixing...

before DJing out, I'm more for doing plain mixes at home

My weaknesses ?

too lazy to get out there and get more gigs, lack confidence and trust in myself, too stubborn to play danceable good music, oh and song selection is my ajor weakness too

no, i don't BPM my records.

thats describes me pretty much down to a

am i remembering wrongly or are you in briz kenny- where you play?

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    no i'm not in briz anymore.

edit: i'm rippin that Mr. T for my avatar.

• I would say that my weaknesses were when I was younger that I didn't believe in myself enough, until one day I just didn't buy my own bullshit anymore and made the concious descision to be about it.[/b] My greatest strength is being determined to be my best, knowing that my ideas have power to become reality, and always seeking to improve myself.

Oh I get it, you sonned yourself and all real headz know the deal. The thing is, this is a fake name your using and fake names make fake statements. I have no time for Fasi business.

The reason why I highlighted a section of your statement because I was really impressed with what you said and I wanted others to pick out that particular point. I agree with you that the limits which a person experiences are mainly self imposed constraints, and once a person realizes that only then will they transcend that dormant way of thinking and then truly start tapping into their potential.

I am sorry my intent was not clearly and you took it as a cue to unleash your diatribe on people with fake names. As for my name "ChequeDaEdit" it???s a play on my DJ name (DJ Edit) and the fact I am a Canadian. Originally it was going to be CheckDaEdit as in Check out DJ Edit, but then I thought would it be fany if I spelled it "ChequeDaEdit" to add a Canadian twist to it. But apparently names like these make your blood boil, maybe next time I will pick a name that will not offend you. I hope TECUMSEH is a name featured on your birth certificate if it isn't you would be seriously contradicting yourself and we can't have that now.

Secondly you need to check your ego at the door. Last time I checked I have never heard you mentioned as a renowned world class DJ (but I could be wrong ), so all this laying into people for not agreeing with your ideals of what makes a top notch DJ is dripping WACK JUICE. If a dude can rock an arena and not scratch a note does that make him wack?

I agree with DJ_Shrimpy_D ???TECUMSEH: Post a live mix to prove how bout it or you are, or you are SOFT!!!???

FakeAssName aka DJ Edit

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    How long have you been DJing?

i've been djing in one form or another for about 12 years now.. started off doin the college radio type steeze.

What kind of DJ are you

I play mainly weirdo dance music. House, disco, oddball 80's shit, cosmic, balearic etc etc. Im a mixer and i never scratch more than the occasional stab or noise.

how much do you practice?
    Also, how and what do you practice?

i never practice. Never practiced guitar or an instrument either so why practice on the decks? Id rather spend the time working on mixes or listening to records instead.

But that said i probably spend at least 5 - 10 hours a week mixing records one way or another

What are your weaknesses and how did you overcome them if at all? Strengths?

weakness is probably that i dont play hip hop, current "club" music.

Strengths i have little to no shame and will gladly play cheesy, camp, gay, hi nrg, pop and at the same time get the crowd feeling even the weirdest shit. I also try and play a nice ratio of vocal / instro / new / old / obscure / obvious.

Do you BPM everything or go by feel?

never bpmd anything. My crate is totally unorganised and i just grab whatever comes into my mind i nthe heat of the moment.