the ill Dee Dee Bridgewater stuff

2»

Comments

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    OK, so I checked out "How High The Moon" on the that "Dear Ella" set.

This isn't the droid I'm looking for. For one, it's instrumental. I think the one on the Charley label sampler is the one. Where does *that* tune come from then?

• ill free jazz steez

pagin nate bizzo...cough cough, ahem...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    she also sings here..........

not so obvious cause she is listed "Denise" bridgewater

Dee Dee could be a nickname/stagename for Denise. Her husband also plays on this album.

I just copped................ She not that prominant on this.
    'Children of the Future' is ill.

My critique is focused on her contribution, not the album as a whole. She's pretty much just yodelling in the background, which isnt what I expected/craved.

From http://www.deedeebridgewater.com/live_in_paris.htm

Track 9: How High The Moon

Been checking the download sites for this but they all stop at track 8... Chaps, I think it's time to breakout the graemlin and get gumshoeing.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Hookup check the Norman Connors jawn "Love From The Sun" shit is ill, son.

• I like this one

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

I just copped................ <s> She not that prominant on this.</s>

My critique is focused on her contribution, not the album as a whole. She's pretty much just yodelling in the background, which isnt what I expected/craved.
    Yeah, I was more or less clownin'. BTW, I agree that she is forcing the yodeling issue a little too much

I just copped................ <s> She not that prominant on this.</s>

Yeah, I was more or less clownin'. BTW, I agree that she is forcing the yodeling issue a little too much

I listened to it last night, and she doesn't just yodell. I was wrong.

Recently came across a gig on slsk with Ray Brown - bass, Larry Fuller - Piano, and Dee Dee on vox. Drummer not listed - Jeff Hamilton? Worth it for the Fuller alone. Never heard of him before. Jazz standards, but done sublimely as you would expect. It sounds like it's Ray's gig with Dee Dee guesting.

Not been able to google an official copy of the gig (I assume it's a bootleg) but if you are interested the files are listed like this:

ray brown & larry fuller, dee dee bridgewater - live in leverkusen - 04 - milestones.mp3

Recently came across a gig on slsk with Ray Brown - bass, Larry Fuller - Piano, and Dee Dee on vox. Drummer not listed - Jeff Hamilton? Worth it for the Fuller alone. Never heard of him before. Jazz standards, but done sublimely as you would expect. It sounds like it's Ray's gig with Dee Dee guesting.

Not been able to google an official copy of the gig (I assume it's a bootleg) but if you are interested the files are listed like this:

ray brown & larry fuller, dee dee bridgewater - live in leverkusen - 04 - milestones.mp3

What year?

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    No mention of "Sweet Rain" yet?

im wit it

• redgregredgreg 96 Posts
    No mention of "Sweet Rain" yet?

im wit it

Was there ever a long version of this on 12" ?

She's come full circle since this joint......

early bald steez

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Where's sticky fingaz and fredro starr at?

What year?

30th November 1997.

I'm still looking for that live "How High The Moon" if Birdman could hit me on the pm/mp3 and still slsking for the 1980 S/T set on Electra (I have the 1976 S/T one on Atlantic).

It's the one with the tracklisting:

1. Lonely Disco Dancer
    2. When Love Comes Knockin'
    3. One In A Million (Guy)
    4. Gunshots In The Night
    5. When You're In Love
    6. That's The Way Love Should Feel
    7. Give In To Love
    8. Jody (Whoever You Are)

Don't think it's that raer but just out for completeness... You know teh deal.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

What year?

30th November 1997.

I'm still looking for that live "How High The Moon" if Birdman could hit me on the pm/mp3 and still slsking for the 1980 S/T set on Electra (I have the 1976 S/T one on Atlantic).

1. Lonely Disco Dancer
    4. Gunshots In The Night
    5. When You're In Love
    7. Give In To Love

I will look for it tonight!

Many thanks. I had that Charley Sampler CD too - It's got Cadillac Assembly Line on it IIRC. Got stolen with everything else back in 1992...

They even took the fusion that time.

• Deejay_OMDeejay_OM 695 Posts
    Afro Blue

Norman Connors- Love from the Sun
    " " - Dark of Light
    Stanley Clarke- Children of Forever

these all are some of her top quality stuff I think...

What year?

30th November 1997.

1. Lonely Disco Dancer
    4. Gunshots In The Night
    5. When You're In Love
    7. Give In To Love

its not that good.

She's also on the Wiz Broadway Sountrack singing Believe In Yourself

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Damn seeing this old thread made me regret having to sell "Freedom of Speech"..oh well I still have my "Black Love" at least...

5.When You're In Love