Non-Canadian Strutters - How do you rate Kardinal?

BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
I'm just wondering how much press/hype Kardinal gets bellow the border. I feel like he's one of Canada's best hip hop artists, but I'm not sure how many cats outside of Canada really know about him.Thoughts??

Comments

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    He's dope.

Keep your eyes peeled for this (that fool had better given me my co-prod. credits! )

/plug]

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    He had a track back in the days i liked that looped a bob marley song,apart from that i really didn't pay much attention to what he put out.

• Yeah I'm already looking forward to it. Hasn't dropped yet has it??

Were you doing some production work on the whole album? Or just a track? Either way that's real dope.

I'm just pulling out some 12" I have, and man... kemotherapy off the flip of the Tear Da Wallz Down 12" is killing me right now. Kemo always had the fresh beats for the rascalz. The a-side is... uh... too clubby or something for me. Beat is kinda garbage. I find every once and a while he comes out with a club track that has a completely doodoo beat. Like tear de wallz down, or belly dancer...

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Were you doing some production work on the whole album? Or just a track? Either way that's real dope.

Nah that's Exile's thing. I just helped out on the single above.

• He had a track back in the days i liked that looped a bob marley song,apart from that i really didn't pay much attention to what he put out.

Yeah here's that song... and a few more highlights from his earlier years...

Kardinal Offishall - Naughty Dread
    http://s37.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2QZNKME9ALY4A1RZW37DHVJLKM

Kardinal Offishall - Husslin
    http://s37.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0CO3C8XVOU89W2H4SZAQNZ0CHB

Kardinal Offishall - Your Ghetto When
    http://s37.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=24SVNA6IGX9211Q4S2TKB3F963

Kardinal Offishall - Ol' Time Killin
    http://s37.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=01QVHIS61QQ9F33LH6XY5W704V

All of these songs are worth checking out.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    i think he's dope... his problem was the song he pushed to be his breakthru track, bellydancer, SUCKED!

bakardi slang was a pretty big track here and i still enjoy it... he did a version of the Forward Riddim (grime track) that was fucking sick as hell...

• Obviously it's worth checking the Kill Bloodclott Bill mixtape that him and the Black Jays dropped a while back. There are a few tracks that just don't hit right, but overall the whole tape is a good listen.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

bakardi slang was a pretty big track here and i still enjoy it...

Problem w/ 'Bakardi Slang' was it was strictly JA patois - I remember speaking to people of Trini, Guyanese, etc. background and the reaction was pretty much unanimous: he don't speak for me - it ought to be 'Yakardi Slang'...

My gut reaction is that the hype around Circle/FOS is largely self-promoted; a lot of the product released by that camp is lackluster and frankly anticlimactic...

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    i think he's dope... his problem was the song he pushed to be his breakthru track, bellydancer, SUCKED!

That's what happens when you chase the hot flava of the moment and subscribe to the belief that anything that the Neptunes touched @ that point in time was guaranteed platinum...

• I think he's crazy. But now that I know he's Canadian I've lost some respect.
    haha just kidding. I'm a pretty big fan.

• My gut reaction is that the hype around Circle/FOS is largely self-promoted; a lot of the product released by that camp is lackluster and frankly anticlimactic...

I could probably agree to the first part, but definitely not about the second part.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

I could probably agree to the first part, but definitely not about the second part.

To each his/her own - I was asked to review the new album by Jason - I respectfully declined 'cause I couldn't really stir up much enthusiasm if any for it... Roger and Jake come through on their beats (although I kinda feel that Estelle was pretty much underused on Jake's beat), but everything else seemed just there...

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts
    Someone bring back the old Kardi "Clap Clap RELOAD" dayz... Sad to say. But I think being Canadian held him back and that he would have been large if he was from somewhere in NYC. I don't know Mr. Offishall, but when I talked to him at a small private birthday thing (Worst movie I ever saw) for Mastermind back in the day, he seemed like the real deal. Nothin' but respect for the guy.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Kardinal O is nice. Don't know his entire catalogue, but what I've heard has been good. I even liked that track he did with Pete Rock on "Soul Survivor II" ("We Good").

• i dig 'em. the clipse remix line he did was dope. also his own "sick" 12" was hot too.

• I Liked a couple of hi searleir stuff but since then i cant say i like that much from him

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    couldn't this be rephrased as how do you feel about ANY candian rappers??

• i dig 'em. the clipse remix line he did was dope. also his own "sick" 12" was hot too.

Oh yeah I forgot about that Clipse remix. Sick was the b-side of the Belly Dancer 12".

• I even liked that track he did with Pete Rock on "Soul Survivor II" ("We Good").

You even liked it? That was the best thing on the album, aside from the CL Smooth tracks.

Anyway, I tend to check for his music, but definitely wouldn't consider myself a fan.

• I personally think he is dope. I really liked his verse on that Glen Lewis single that came out last year. His verse was really nice on that.

• I have "And What" I love that song.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

Problem w/ 'Bakardi Slang' was it was strictly JA patois - I remember speaking to people of Trini, Guyanese, etc. background and the reaction was pretty much unanimous: he don't speak for me - it ought to be 'Yakardi Slang'...

who cares? yo, his name is Kardinall Official, not Marcus Garvey... i care about what his songs sound like, not who he "speaks for"...

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

who cares? yo, his name is Kardinall Official, not Marcus Garvey... i care about what his songs sound like, not who he "speaks for"...

Point being was that the vernacular he was promoting w/ that track was supposedly representative of Toronto - made it appear as if the entire Afro-Caribbean community in the city was/is comprised of 100 % Jamaican - seen?

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    He's ok, not one of my favorites though. I like Saukrates and Thrust more.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

Thrust's early stuff

A feat in soul decision song

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts

Thrust's early stuff

A feat in soul decision song

Yeah I love that old Thrust, but I don't know what he was trying to do later on. That album he had on Blueprint was There were maybe two songs on that one that were decent. Shame

• I personally think he is dope. I really liked his verse on that Glen Lewis single that came out last year. His verse was really nice on that.

Yeah I got into that radio single, and I think it was mostly because of Kardi.