New Canibus album??? what y'all think?

verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
Nottz has some nice beats on it, but it's coming off pretty to me.what do you guys think?

Comments

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Yes it could of been a lot better.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Who's Canibus?

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    production production production.

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    i was surprised at the crap nottz gave him, like the dear academy joint, that song is god-awful.guess it's back to the drawing board for him, again.

but still, being the loyal back packer i am, he's still my favorite mc, and has been for the last 7 years!

• Canibus is a dope MC. Personally the only problem I find is the production on his albums always seems to be lacking.

Throw someone like Premier, Pete Rock, Dilla or the Beatminers behind him and you'd have one dope album.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I can't believe this many folks are actually checking for an MC who's never proven he can write a song despite having decent battle skills. Head to head, I don't doubt Canibus could whoop, say, LL's ass but in terms of presence? LL's nose hair has more charisma than Canibus. He and Ras Kass are two of the most overhyped MCs ever.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    I never cared for Canibus

• I can't believe this many folks are actually checking for an MC who's never proven he can write a song despite having decent battle skills. Head to head, I don't doubt Canibus could whoop, say, LL's ass but in terms of presence? LL's nose hair has more charisma than Canibus. He and Ras Kass are two of the most overhyped MCs ever.

I can see where you're coming from with Canibus but Ras Kass??

WOW!??!

Is there any MC's/groups you like??

I don't know if it's just me but you seem to hate on everything

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

hahaha! o-dub has the internets goin' nuts!!

Arkive,

The list of MCs I've given negative criticsm towards in the last 48 hours is about, oh, HALF A DOZEN. That's not actually "everything." Don't get it twisted. I'm not Faux Rillz or anything

Ras Kass dropped a hot 12" coming right out the gate but his ideas were often bigger than his ability to actually execute them. "Soul on Ice" was a decent album but everything he's put out since has been a disappointment and his product hasn't justfied the reputation he has.

If we were having this conversation circa 1996, I'd agree and say, "yeah, Ras Kass is dope!" but in 2005? Dude needs to show and prove he's still worth the hype.

I can't believe this many folks are actually checking for an MC who's never proven he can write a song despite having decent battle skills. Head to head, I don't doubt Canibus could whoop, say, LL's ass but in terms of presence? LL's nose hair has more charisma than Canibus. He and Ras Kass are two of the most overhyped MCs ever.

WOW!??!

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    Arkive,

The list of MCs I've given negative criticsm towards in the last 48 hours is about, oh, HALF A DOZEN. That's not actually "everything." Don't get it twisted. I'm not Faux Rillz or anything

Ras Kass dropped a hot 12" coming right out the gate but his ideas were often bigger than his ability to actually execute them. "Soul on Ice" was a decent album but everything he's put out since has been a disappointment and his product hasn't justfied the reputation he has.

If we were having this conversation circa 1996, I'd agree and say, "yeah, Ras Kass is dope!" but in 2005? Dude needs to show and prove he's still worth the hype.

WOW!??!

Co Sign. I thinks Ras Kas had a few solid records out the gate but that's about it. I don't even think about Ras anymore.

• I can't believe this many folks are actually checking for an MC who's never proven he can write a song despite having decent battle skills. Head to head, I don't doubt Canibus could whoop, say, LL's ass but in terms of presence? LL's nose hair has more charisma than Canibus. He and Ras Kass are two of the most overhyped MCs ever.

I gotta agree with this. Canibus' first album came out about 8 years ago and it sucked. And basically everything else he has released has sucked. yes he can battle, but why are people still checking for his albums? Straight up, dude does not translate well on record and it does not seem like that is going to change.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    because u are always hoping that some production will actually compliment him like his freestyles on the radio back in the day (like that canibus vs dmx mixtape) but of course it never happens. one day if u have nothing better to do, download the album "mic curriculum" and ignore the production, u will be amazed. its like einstein on the microphone, and its not battle rap, its a university course. but i personally feel the dude is cursed and doesnt have an ear for music at all when choosing beats.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    the dude is cursed and doesnt have an ear for music at all when choosing beats.

just like fabolous.

• Was there ever a good Canibus track?

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    Was there ever a good Canibus track?

his best stuff has always been live. although his 'freestyles' always seemed written, the charisma was there. it doesn't translate well on wax.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I am not really a canibus fan. At all. That said, I produced this song on his last album, and it was nice to get paid for it. Here, ill post it.

http://s10.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1QTQHMLYW3BTL3EC6WQFGWST67

I really dont think theres anything that advanced about his lyrics. One thing that was kind of impressive is that he basicly came in and freestyled for an hour. We cut it down to this and that was the song. He doesnt really write songs at all. I mean, its cool that you can freestyle, but thats about all dude can do. Anyway, hope you guys like it.

Canibus is like the new Kool Keith, at the moment he has 3 albums out(all 3 dropped at the same time),i had to search hard to find your track Bsides.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Canibus is like the new Kool Keith, at the moment he has 3 albums out(all 3 dropped at the same time),i had to search hard to find your track Bsides.

I posted it. But yeah, I didnt really expect anyone to ever hear it hahaha.

• Arkive,

WOW!??!

Co Sign. I thinks Ras Kas had a few solid records out the gate but that's about it. I don't even think about Ras anymore.

I agree, i guess canibus and ras kass couldn't make a song as powerful as 99 problems

• i can't believe there are people still checking for canibus albums. someone told me that he released 3 albums this year. word?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

New Kool Keith?
    Get outta here with that.
    Keith iz hall of fame.

Canibus will NEVER turn the corner. NEVER. Stop hoping that all those lyrics translate into anything more than that. He's the Steve Kerr of the game.
    You cats waiting for Shazam to blow him up will be waiting for a long fuckin' time.

Sorry if i touched a nerve,hugh madsen?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

This dude is--and always has been--garbage.

His fanbase consists of people who are impressed by the use of big words, but who don't have sufficiently large vocabularies to know when somebody is using them incorrectly.

This dude is--and always has been--garbage.

His fanbase consists of people who are impressed by the use of big words, but who don't have sufficiently large vocabularies to know when somebody is using them incorrectly.

"I do not think that word means what you think it means."

Sorry if i'm blowing up your spot but i was listening to the album and Canibus mentioned your name in another track,how many tracks do you have on it.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Sorry if i'm blowing up your spot but i was listening to the album and Canibus mentioned your name in another track

"Brendan"???

Sorry if i'm blowing up your spot but i was listening to the album and Canibus mentioned your name in another track

"Brendan"???

Nah he said " bsides on the track " get it right mane.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    I am not really a canibus fan. At all. That said, I produced this song on his last album, and it was nice to get paid for it. Here, ill post it.

http://s10.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1QTQHMLYW3BTL3EC6WQFGWST67

I really dont think theres anything that advanced about his lyrics. One thing that was kind of impressive is that he basicly came in and freestyled for an hour. We cut it down to this and that was the song. He doesnt really write songs at all. I mean, its cool that you can freestyle, but thats about all dude can do. Anyway, hope you guys like it.

the hook on this is god-awful. but congrats on gettin some cheez for your hard work Bsizzle.

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    Don't get it twisted. I'm not Faux Rillz or anything

LOCATION.

To me, Canibus had all the hype in the world (even more than Ras Kass) and just couldn't pull it off. Ras Kass, to me at least, had a much better LP with Soul On Ice than Canibus ever did.

Canibus = another exceptional battle emcee who can't do an album.