THE HIP-HOP LIFESTLYE (and medical insurance)

white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
So this J-Dilla post has got me thinking, once again, about musicans and medical insurance and other pricey life necessities. Do you think Jay Dee has insurance? If so, how? Does Stones Throw have some sort of H.M.O. plan? Do any smaller indepedent labels? And what about all you indie producers (when I say "indie," I mean you dudes making beats in your home and then selling them)? I know for instance that my dad is now self employed but my mom works a receptionist job just so the two of them can have insurance benefits. Sure my dad makes enough to support both of them, but she needs to keep her job just in case something serious happens. I remember listening to a segment on N.P.R. awhile back about a non-profit that provides old-school jazz musicians with medical benefits. Is there any such organization in the hip-hop world? Anyone care to enlighten me on this personal yet crucial topic?

Comments

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Dilla has got papers from back when. I'm sure he's covered (thank God).

Damn I'm glad I live in Canada. And can you believe they're still trying to privatize that shit?

• You can get catastrophic health insurance coverage for under $100 a month.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    i am self employed and i pay 156 a month for health insurance.

• flunkflunk 230 Posts
    Insurance is for suckers.......they play the good odds and yank the net at will. Never insured anything, never will. It goes, it's gone........health included.

imho

• Insurance is for suckers.......they play the good odds and yank the net at will. Never insured anything, never will. It goes, it's gone........health included.

Have you ever had to go to the hospital before?

• flunkflunk 230 Posts
    yeah, a number of times including op's. I go public and shit's kosher. Just saying, I'm not going to pay someone out of fear. It's a scam......

• flunkflunk 230 Posts
    Hang on, your system is different maybe......Do you have to be insured to be treated?

• yeah, a number of times including op's. I go public and shit's kosher. Just saying, I'm not going to pay someone out of fear. It's a scam......

The shit still isn't free tho... ?

• yeah, a number of times including op's. I go public and shit's kosher. Just saying, I'm not going to pay someone out of fear. It's a scam......

No, you just have to pay. They'll treat you regards but if you run up millions in debt that shit is on you to pay back.

• Insurance is for suckers.......they play the good odds and yank the net at will. Never insured anything, never will. It goes, it's gone........health included.

imho

Why don't I read you a bill I received today from the hospital. I just had ankle surgery. This is one bill,of many. The hospital stay and surgury space (not doctor fee). $32,246[/b] With insurance I only owe $1,259[/b] of that amount.

I get stomach medicine for acid reflux. Bottle of 30 name brand $160. With insurance. $20. I've gotten my money's worth this year, thank fuck.

For suckers? I don't think so. Fuck insurance industry though. I'm all for socialized medicine. I was uninsured for years & years. Not a good place to be.

• flunkflunk 230 Posts
    yeah, a number of times including op's. I go public and shit's kosher. Just saying, I'm not going to pay someone out of fear. It's a scam......

that's what taxes are for.........rhinoplasty and the like comes out the pocket

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Dilla has got papers from back when. I'm sure he's covered (thank God).

Damn I'm glad I live in Canada. And can you believe they're still trying to privatize that shit?

A) don't be so sure he has paper (he may, he may not)

B)Don't be sure he's covered...you would be surprised what insurance won't cover (or will only cover a certain percentage then it's over)

In the US, you can get great medical care if you are

a)rich
    b)so poor that medicaid will pay for everything (and now they are making the poor pay too)

the middle and lower-middle class gets royally SCREWED if you have long-term health issues (which will face all of us either personally or loved ones, likely both).

• flunkflunk 230 Posts

No, you just have to pay. They'll treat you regards but if you run up millions in debt that shit is on you to pay back.

if it's gonna run into the millions, your lifes obviously in mortal danger.......give a fuck about the money, get better, file for bankruptcy.....

The only people that I know of that get free hospital coverage aside from Medicare/Medicaid/whatever are those that go to hospitals that get federal funding and are therefore required to treat people that have low incomes... which when I was at the hospital looked to be about $7,000 a year or under.

• flunkflunk 230 Posts

The only people that I know of that get free hospital coverage aside from Medicare/Medicaid/whatever are those that go to hospitals that get federal funding and are therefore required to treat people that have low incomes... which when I was at the hospital looked to be about $7,000 a year or under.

You have a different system to us then (australia), you want a nice single room overlooking the pond, get insured, you want to get fixed, no frills......you just show up. Obviously there's a queue, but they have to treat you......

if it's gonna run into the millions, your lifes obviously in mortal danger.......give a fuck about the money, get better, file for bankruptcy.....

They just passed a law that makes filing for bankruptcy a WHOLE lot harder, now they can even take away your house...and what pushes most people to this point?
    Medical bills.

US system is broken down and running on fumes.

And I am posting from my second gig as patient intake at Children's Hospital in DC. 85% at least is medicaid, and 60% of those parents are employed (ie. they STILL can't make ends meet healthcare-wise). Their kids are covered but I bet most of the parents are ass-out when it comes to coverage.

I recently found out that my wife may have to have surgery and a treatment that could put her in the hospital for a month, and the first thing they told her is that most insurance won't cover it. And before you tell me that it must not be life-threatening then, the doctor assured her that it is something that must be attended to or it could have grave consequences. But that doesn't matter to the insurance company.

We still haven't heard anything else, and are persuing other coverage and options, but this shit is no joke.
    You can easily run millions into debt just trying to keep somebody in reasonable health and there are limited avenues for a large majority of Americans.

• flunkflunk 230 Posts

They just passed a law that makes filing for bankruptcy a WHOLE lot harder, now they can even take away your house...and what pushes most people to this point?
    Medical bills.

And I am posting from my second gig as patient intake at Children's Hospital in DC. 85% at least is medicaid, and 60% of those parents are employed (ie. they STILL can't make ends meet healthcare-wise). Their kids are covered but I bet most of the parents are ass-out when it comes to coverage.

I recently found out that my wife may have to have surgery and a treatment that could put her in the hospital for a month, and the first thing they told her is that most insurance won't cover it. And before you tell me that it must not be life-threatening then, the doctor assured her that it is something that must be attended to or it could have grave consequences. But that doesn't matter to the insurance company.

We still haven't heard anything else, and are persuing other coverage and options, but this shit is no joke.
    You can easily run millions into debt just trying to keep somebody in reasonable health and there are limited avenues for a large majority of Americans.

fair point......and shit, I hope it all pans out for you

Medical bills.

fair point......and shit, I hope it all pans out for you

Yeah, me too...what sucks is that here we have the ability to work, save some money, try to play by the rules of the system, and it all can get screwed up by illness. And then the people you elect to PROTECT yer interests as a taxpayer screw you because the Credit Card companies and Banks tell them that too many people are "abusing" the bankruptcy laws and they can't turn a proper profit off us anymore.

I concur with your views on insurance for the most part, ESPECIALLY health insurance...and I would be in favor of a system MORE like yers and Canada. Shit, this is a PRIVATE hospital (meaning operated by a non-profit busuiness, not the city of DC) and the average wait time today in the ER was at least 3.5 hours. I saw some as long as 5 hours today. And the politicians wonder why poor and middle class people are so fucking pissed off and cynical. I love seeing wealthy folks come in here and have to wait. They literally cannot believe how an urban ER operates (no pun).

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I love seeing wealthy folks come in here and have to wait. They literally cannot believe how an urban ER operates (no pun).

Indeed, the ER is not fun. Even HMO-run suburban ER's take hours at a time.

In this world nothing is certain but death and taxes.
    -Benjamin Franklin

I love seeing wealthy folks come in here and have to wait. They literally cannot believe how an urban ER operates (no pun).

Indeed, the ER is not fun. Even HMO-run suburban ER's take hours at a time.

In this world nothing is certain but death and taxes.
    -Benjamin Franklin

Let me re-phrase...I don't love seeing ANYONE come in here (no matter how unnecessary)...I do think that a lot of folks have no idea how an ER is run, and when they find out, it's always enlightening.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Nah I was agreeing with you, Birdman. Not trying to play up the first part of the quote... pretty quiet at the ER tonight?

• Yo birdman you work in an ER?? That's some crazy shit man. I have mad respect for people that work day to day in high stress jobs like that. I know that the stress kinda becomes normal after a while, and I'm sure you have to learn to deal with it, but, damn! I don't think I'd last a week.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I pay for health insurance. I have prescriptions i need on a monthly basis. Thyroid disease that will lead to diabetes if not treated correctly. Diabetes would be a nightmare without insurance. While im not a fan of the insurance industry, and I think our healthcare system in the U.S. is seriously flawed, It does disturb me to know so many people without any type of coverage.

Yo birdman you work in an ER?? That's some crazy shit man. I have mad respect for people that work day to day in high stress jobs like that. I know that the stress kinda becomes normal after a while, and I'm sure you have to learn to deal with it, but, damn! I don't think I'd last a week.

I have worked in the Urgent Care side of the ER at Children's now for almost 6 years, most of that on weekend nights. It was kinda weird at first(I started in the main ER and that can be a lot more crazy, both in terms of patients/parents and co-workers), but ultimately what I do(patient intake/collecting insurance info,demographics) is basically customer service/clerical. Our side of the ER is lower key, more like the clinic. It's not like I am stiching folks up or saving lives. It is a great 2nd job though, althou your BS tolerance has to be pretty high. People get pretty impatient and they like to put all the blame for the hospital's inadequacy on the clerks.

• Yo birdman you work in an ER?? That's some crazy shit man. I have mad respect for people that work day to day in high stress jobs like that. I know that the stress kinda becomes normal after a while, and I'm sure you have to learn to deal with it, but, damn! I don't think I'd last a week.

I have worked in the Urgent Care side of the ER at Children's now for almost 6 years, most of that on weekend nights. It was kinda weird at first(I started in the main ER and that can be a lot more crazy, both in terms of patients/parents and co-workers), but ultimately what I do(patient intake/collecting insurance info,demographics) is basically customer service/clerical. Our side of the ER is lower key, more like the clinic. It's not like I am stiching folks up or saving lives. It is a great 2nd job though, althou your BS tolerance has to be pretty high. People get pretty impatient and they like to put all the blame for the hospital's inadequacy on the clerks.

Ok. I see. But even in that type of ER, and just doing patient intake, there's just mad stress and emotions flying around. I'm a good dude, and I like helping people, and I'm pretty patient... but I dunno... I figure you'd get a lot of parents being upset with the wait times or whatever. Parents mad about their children's health is

On the flip though, it's gotta be nice to see people being helped out. There's always those few genuinely nice people that appreciate what you're doing and make it worth it.

• "Get well soon balloons, dude I gotta be sick
    but most rappers don't even got medical benefits
    swearin' they sick, but prayin' they don't really get sick
    so I made a choice to get a job with Personal Choice
    So if this rap don't pan out, I won't be ass out
    back out on the street rappin' for handouts
    or lettin' them bullets blast out
    so no matter what rapper's real with they raps
    you can't get realer than that"

Phill Most The Soulman,"No Rap No Crap"
    The Lo-Fi Theory lp
    ??2004 (and 2006?) World Of Beats Recordings LLC

The Lo-Fi Theory EP coming in early 2006 on Puma Strut / World Of Beats
    COP THAT SCHITT!

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts

??????

• ??????

COMING SOON!!!! I already posted a snippet of this on Soulstrut like a year and a half ago... it's finally getting a proper release. Bootlegs of the unreleased versions are floating around too but you gotta cop the real thing

• dayday 9,612 Posts

??????

COMING SOON!!!! I already posted a snippet of this on Soulstrut like a year and a half ago... it's finally getting a proper release. Bootlegs of the unreleased versions are floating around too but you gotta cop the real thing

Whoa.

I like how you chose a Hip Hop Health Plan thread to drop that in.

I will indeed cop. Puma Strut has been putting out some decent shit lately.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    well i believe the us medical system is crap as well, even though i plan on practicing here in cali for the rest of my life, currently in my second year of med school. What sucks is that most of you people are uniformed u think that a bill for 32 g's for ankle surgery is ludicrous but its really not. First of all i will have to pay an exorbitant amount of insurance not to be sued up the yin yang if god forbid something goes wrong, love americas legal system everyone and their mommas looking to discredit a guy who devoted 11 years just basic without even specializing to become a md... yes hmos suck major ass they dont give a shit about you and its all saving money...unfortunately if you want the best treatment money should not be an issue after all its your health and unless your buddhist u only get one shot...with that being said and done, my medical school costs will be upwards 200 gs by the time im done, barely making 35 gs for three years in residency...theres always two sides to every story, so before all you guys go bitching about medical costs and what not, think about what we put are lives through just so we can help yah, coincidentally im going the radiology route so i dont have to deal with this bullshit, latez

Do they teach English in Medical School?