Snap, Crackle Pop (RR)

E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
I was recording stacks of new Joints I wanted to digitalize the last few days......and these fucking clicks and crackles are driving me INSANE.. I don't know how you ppl go about it but normally I stay away from Plugins to do this, cuz I don't want the entire track to be processed.. So,... I do what I gotta do,... I'm freaky/nerdy enough to redraw every click or disturbing sound..I normally cop mint records only but this time it must have slipped me cuz I'm doing LOADS of restoration here. Seriously, I have nothing against some ambiance crackling or a Click now and then, but when I digitalize my ish, I need to get rid of them peaks so I can match the highest peak to 0db... Just so most tracks dont come out to uneven in volume...Last few hrs I've been doing this....What y'all think about it?-Fuck it, I eat rice crispies while spinning my VG/VG-'s and I've never noticed a thing ? -Waves Restoration all the way hommie ?-I'm a , I only cop mint wax ?-I holla at homie who got a machine to wash my raers ?Let me know cuz I'll kill someone in here if this means I'm redrawing waveforms for an other 2 hrs....

Comments

• wow, that's some time consuming shit.

• ...Urge to kill riiiisinnggg...

Bah, I guess everyone's off to get drunk and eat a turkey,... Enjoy fellas

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    wow, that's some time consuming shit.

I usually set aside an entire evening (5-6 hours) removing clicks/pops per 1 80 minute audio CD (digitizing 2 38 minute LPs onto 1 CD usually).

RayGun plug in for manual click/pop removal>Waves Restoration Bundle plug-ins for smaller crackle and noise reduction>Waves UltraMaximizer for boosting the overall volume of the music

SG

• Ahhh!

Thx to MCDee for the hint

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I just got Sound Soup Pro a few days ago and though I have only been messing with it for a few days its very fast and very good at removing noise and crackles. Here is an example of its effect on a not so clean record after just a few minutes of tweeking.

Before processing

After processing

Manually redrawing waveforms to remove clicks and can very quickly induce brain damage as well as quickly burning you out on your favorite tune. Sound Soap Pro is a bit expensive but not as expensive as a cedar system or the waves restoration plug-ins.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    only cop mint wax

• only cop mint wax
    who whould have guessed

• only cop mint wax

take the time to clean a record & set your levels properly before recording old wax.
    I personally don't remove crackles and pops because I like to know the condition of the piece I'm listening to, but if it's too crackly it doesn't get digitized.