So I just got myself an MPC 2000...

KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
...and this thing is doing my head in. I'm just having trouble working out how to edit the beginning and ending of the sample to make it really 'neat', if you know what i mean. I keep going into trim but i can't work out how exaclty i highlight and then cut out the the bit I don't want in the zome in field.I realise that what i just wrote there may not actually make any sense at all. I had a dude show me some stuff on it yesterday, but realy all I'm proficient at presently is recording a sample and naming it!HELP soulstrut superproducer massive!

Comments

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    dude,.... "open window"

thats all all have to say.

• HAZE1HAZE1 40 Posts
    yes open window and zoom in to get the first hit. Always sample a little before and a little after what ur looping so you can get it perfect. A good place to go for advice and help is www.mpc-forums.com goto the newbie bible in freq asked questions forum and that should help u out alot.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I think this may well be the button i have been forgeting to use. Thanks for that guys!

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    congrats on the new purchase, xl or og?

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Thanks - it's not an XL, its the OG.

Damn - open window was the thing I needed, but when dude showed me yesterday he was highlight bits and then copying them as smaller samples from there (ie taking one drum kick froma one-bar break and then assigning it to a pad by itself). This is what I need to learn how to do.

Can anyone explain this to me in simple 'I'm fucking dumb when it comes to anything that looks like a computer' language?

Muchly obliged.

• sleepsleep 54 Posts
    highlight then edit, section > new sound

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Apart from the culture thing, why use an MPC instead of a computer?

This isn't any kind of diss - I really wanna know cause I might buy one.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

Damn - open window was the thing I needed, but when dude showed me yesterday he was highlight bits and then copying them as smaller samples from there (ie taking one drum kick froma one-bar break and then assigning it to a pad by itself). This is what I need to learn how to do.

Can anyone explain this to me in simple 'I'm fucking dumb when it comes to anything that looks like a computer' language?

Muchly obliged.
    that's zone editing. in trim, just hit zone, highlight area, edit, new sample.boom

• MangomanMangoman 549 Posts

Muchly obliged.

Word your rockin the the Shuttle! This sounds like a job for the Sound Providers!

You should check their website and email them, dude's know!!!!!!! They have helped me out a lot of times matter of fact Jason Skills gave me lessons, though I never practiced, he broke it down so good infants would be able to make a track....

• TheGoochTheGooch 541 Posts

Muchly obliged.
    that's zone editing. in trim, just hit zone, highlight area, edit, new sample.boom

Zone editing not available on the 2000 just on XL models

I had it all in the 7 years of making music

Akai Mpc2k
    MPC60
    ASR 10 (which is the only piece of hardware I truly miss)

Have been on the Reason/Recycle combo for two years and I would never go back.

• welcome to the world of sore finger tips and a.d.h.d

read the manuel and look for the hidden meaning

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

Muchly obliged.

Akai Mpc2k
    MPC60

doggee, in that 7 years of making music you didnt notice you had zone editing on your mp? better go back and check before you start pulling ccards on here, vet.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    yes open window and zoom in to get the first hit. Always sample a little before and a little after what ur looping so you can get it perfect. A good place to go for advice and help is www.mpc-forums.com goto the newbie bible in freq asked questions forum and that should help u out alot.

WORD!! This place helped me 24/7 in my time of need...

Muchly obliged.

Akai Mpc2k
    MPC60

doggee, in that 7 years of making music you didnt notice you had zone editing on your mp? better go back and check before you start pulling ccards on here, vet.

nobody pullin cards Deeeelay. XL Zone mode allows you to select up to 16 zones straight up 2k does not

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    T*l, there is zone editing on the regular MPC, you can only do one zone at a time though...

In the trim window, hit F3 to get the the zone editing screen and once you have highlighted what you want to copy out then hit F5 (EDIT). A new screen apprears. You can use the wheel to scroll through your choices of what you want to do with the sound. You can Silence it, Reverse it, Insert another sound, Delete it or make it a new sound. Once you pick it to be a new sound, you'll get a chance to name it what you want.

t

T*l, there is zone editing on the regular MPC, you can only do one zone at a time though...

In the trim window, hit F3 to get the the zone editing screen and once you have highlighted what you want to copy out then hit F5 (EDIT). A new screen apprears. You can use the wheel to scroll through your choices of what you want to do with the sound. You can Silence it, Reverse it, Insert another sound, Delete it or make it a new sound. Once you pick it to be a new sound, you'll get a chance to name it what you want.

t

I hear you. The process is long. As well as the scrolling/jog wheel does not scroll through as quickly as the xl. Ah but its all good. I can rest easy now.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

t

I hear you. The process is long. As well as the scrolling/jog wheel does not scroll through as quickly as the xl. Ah but its all good. I can rest easy now.
    I really hate having to hold that shift key. I much prefer the older scroll wheel with the outside ring. The multiple zone thing is a nice addition, but i definitely like the older interface. it just feels more solid.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts

t

You know you can use the outter ring of the scroll wheel to increase the increments at which you scroll through a sound file right? Move it counterclockwise to increase the increments and clockwise to decrease.

t