NC Record Stores? (Donde Esta Related)

loginlogin 52 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
Heading out to Chapel Hill for Turkey day so I needs to find da spots. Not really looking for breaks and beats but more on that club type shit. So really I am just looking for your standard record store (also if there is any store that might carry electro/house music would be dope too). So North Cal people step up for me please. Gonna be around Durham, Raliegh, Chapel Hill. Thanks Struters

Comments

• 4-4 records on hillsborough st. in raleigh is a very good hip hop record store (they also have plenty of house, drum & bass, dancehall, etc.), and the owners are all really good dudes... you can find some cheap used gems in there, too... their # is 919-754-1483, call them and they will tell you how to get there

• loginlogin 52 Posts
    Thanks a lot duder

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Madd Waxx in Durham

Don't know of any other locals that specialize in rap/club/house/etc

4/4 is the move but its kind of small...

• Madd Waxx in Durham

Don't know of any other locals that specialize in rap/club/house/etc

4/4 is the move but its kind of small...

Madd Waxx is closed homie. They sell alarm systems now. If you're in Chapel Hill, try CD Alley on Franklin Street. It's mostly new rock vinyl but they do carry club singles

• Yeah, 4/4 is the best for club stuff, but I'd call before you go out there; sometimes their hours are erratic.

Record Exchange a few blocks down MIGHT have a few promo 12"s in stock but don't get your hopes up unless you really like Nelly and Ashanti.

I'm pretty sure Madd Waxx in Durham bit the dust; they were closed during normal biz hours for months awhile back so I stopped going.

CD Alley in Chapel Hill has some hiphop twelves, but they're more on the backpacker side of things. Still, being not just a hiphop store, they often have some pretty eclectic vinyl (despite their store name). Like weird gray market disco reissues and pretty much all the Soul Jazz label on wax. Don't be a fat dude going in there, though; place is cramped like a mf.

(i.e. what MisterC said)

• There was a spot a bit south of the main area of Chapel hill that had Records and Books... I can't remember the name of it. It was also a cafe/coffee shop... Maybe it was something like the Skylight? damn.

Anyway they had some assortment of records, more used stuff that new. There was a spot across the street from it too (house converted to a store) and the cat in there had some joints, but in NC terms he was asking too much for his records, however you can get over on him. I picked up a CMW - Music To Driveby LP there tfor $2 because he didn't know better.

CD Alley in Chapel Hill has some hiphop twelves, but they're more on the backpacker side of things. Still, being not just a hiphop store, they often have some pretty eclectic vinyl (despite their store name). Like weird gray market disco reissues and pretty much all the Soul Jazz label on wax. Don't be a fat dude going in there, though; place is cramped like a mf.

On that note, after visiting 4/4 walk a block down to Schoolkids which has a bunch of stuff like that too... they have a decent sized selection of new rap/electronic/rock vinyl and reissues...

• Is Record Exchange in Charlotte still open? And Manifest on South, is it still crackin'? I worked there when it opened, definitely scored some heat at that spot. There's some cutty ass spots throughout NC too, like out in Concord.... don't wanna say too much I guess. Been years since I been in NC! Sorry I'm not contributing to the thread at all, just reminiscing. pz

gb

• Anyway they had some assortment of records, more used stuff that new. There was a spot across the street from it too (house converted to a store) and the cat in there had some joints, but in NC terms he was asking too much for his records, however you can get over on him. I picked up a CMW - Music To Driveby LP there tfor $2 because he didn't know better.

He's closed too

• Is Record Exchange in Charlotte still open? And Manifest on South, is it still crackin'? I worked there when it opened, definitely scored some heat at that spot. There's some cutty ass spots throughout NC too, like out in Concord.... don't wanna say too much I guess. Been years since I been in NC! Sorry I'm not contributing to the thread at all, just reminiscing. pz

gb

Both are still open, and Concord's been known for a while too.

• And don't forget all 3 Nice Price locations in Ral/Dur/Chapel Hill. Not great for new stuff, but if you're looking for used records, they're the most consistent spots around. Who knows, you might even pick up some joints MisterC sold 'em.

• And don't forget all 3 Nice Price locations in Ral/Dur/Chapel Hill. Not great for new stuff, but if you're looking for used records, they're the most consistent spots around. Who knows, you might even pick up some joints MisterC sold 'em.

Just look for food expiration dates on the labels

There was a spot a bit south of the main area of Chapel hill that had Records and Books... I can't remember the name of it. It was also a cafe/coffee shop... Maybe it was something like the Skylight? damn.

Anyway they had some assortment of records, more used stuff that new.

Never was a great spot but I can't imagine it'd even be worth hitting now... probably no club stuff whatsoever, either

There was a spot across the street from it too (house converted to a store) and the cat in there had some joints, but in NC terms he was asking too much for his records, however you can get over on him. I picked up a CMW - Music To Driveby LP there tfor $2 because he didn't know better.

Gone... good riddance!

Neither the Concord 45 spot nor the Clock Shoppe have been for many years now... hang on to your memories...

• that sucks... concord used to be the cut... it's been many years though since i been out that way... colorado keeps me happy nowadays on the record tip.

• loginlogin 52 Posts
    Thanks guys...

To be honest I am hoping that there is a store with a small section of Booty music that no one is buying so I can scoop some joints I can't get here in Philly. I think I read some where that Technics from B-More spins down in NC a bit so I am hoping I can grab some of his releases and maybe some other B-more stuff. Then go dig through the House section and find records on Twilight 76 and database that no one but me wants. Is there also a NC regional booty dance music? I would like to score some of that too.

So maybe I should put this in on the wants/trades section?

Thanks guys

No, no regional booty bass in NC. The same old FL hits are celebrated and thats about it.

Didn't know Technics comes down here... I'd like to check it out... you can find new Bmore records at 4/4 but there isn't anything OOP or obscure... only the newest ones that you can get at TTL...

• loginlogin 52 Posts
    No, no regional booty bass in NC. The same old FL hits are celebrated and thats about it.

Didn't know Technics comes down here... I'd like to check it out... you can find new Bmore records at 4/4 but there isn't anything OOP or obscure... only the newest ones that you can get at TTL...

• I am hoping that there is a store with a small section of Booty music that no one is buying

WE ARE BUYING IT

sorry
    thanks
    ok paece