Weekday Finds 11/21 - 11/24

jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
Found this:Jake knew it (bastard...) and i was wondering if yall knew anything about this record? value, rarity, etc... its pretty dope all the way through. weird effects on instruments and a cool vibe. i live in a russian neighborhood is there things i should start looking around for or asking about? russian people can be scary but it wouldnt hurt to ask them for records...dont know much about the international scene so this is much help. thanks!oh and here are three snippets for yall to hear:track 1 track 2 track 3

Comments

• girgir 329 Posts
    change up the groove - roy ayers
    cosmic groove - luis gasca
    dancing in your head - ornette coleman
    tanagram - tangerine dream
    david ossman's how time flys - firesign theatre

• haha

I used a couple of passages off that Russian lp for my new eastern europe rock mixtape, will be posting it soon...

Mine's got a diff. cover tho. Same lady.

Tried to sell it online with snippets, no bids.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    In the mail today, courtesy of a certain SS moderhater who shall remain nameless :

Good look, M*rk.
    Now BAN me, please.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    i live in a russian neighborhood is there things i should start looking around for or asking about? russian people can be scary but it wouldnt hurt to ask them for records...

dont know much about the international scene so this is much help. thanks!

You'll often find something on your random eastern european rock/pop records, as the recordings tend to have a real nice and dirty sound + some crazy instrumentation and playing. It's a bit hit and miss, though, and you have to wade through a lot of crapp to get to the truly interesting ones.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    still working out of a daze from this weekends rec show.. found plenty of nice pieces though.

the bookends are my favs, that minnesoda is a must for fans of b-boy break heavy funk/rock. they do a sweet cover of cold blood's 'shop talk' and y'all probably know about that 'light of worlds' already.

• Caught this for $12 on my Friday Pizza Dig:
    Funkadelic: Standing on the Verge of Getting it On LP Westbound

New (crappy so far) store in Durham yielded these for a buck apiece Saturday morning:
    Funk Inc.: Priced to Sell LP Prestige
    Sly And the Family Stone: A Whole New Thing LP Epic (white cover)

The flea on Sunday wasn't exactly jumpin' but I was glad to catch that Sweet album I'd been after for awhile, all the following records were very clean, and I got a free DVD of KINGDOM OF THE SPIDERS:

RALEIGH FLEA MARKET DEALER 1 ($14)
    Percy Faith: Clair LP Columbia (dupe for trade)
    Suzi Quatro: Quatro LP Bell
    Billy Strange: Secret Agent File LP GNP/Crescendo
    Supremes & Temptations: Together LP Motown (dupe for trade)
    Throbbing Gristle: Funeral In Berlin LP Zensor Germany
    ZZ Top: First Album LP London
    ZZ Top: Rio Grande Mud LP London

RALEIGH FLEA MARKET DEALER 2 ($20)
    The Faces: Ooh La La LP (w/ poster) WB (dupe for trade)
    Isley Brothers: The Isleys Live 2LP T-Neck
    Jefferson Airplane: After Bathing At Baxter???s LP RCA
    Jefferson Airplane: Volunteers LP RCA
    Queen: Jazz LP (w/ poster) Elektra
    The Road: s/t LP Kama Sutra
    Rolling Stones: Got LIVE If You Want It LP London
    The Sweet: s/t LP Bell
    The Turtles: Battle of the Bands LP White Whale (dupe for trade)

RALEIGH FLEA MARKET DEALER 3 ($2)
    Pat Benatar: In The Heat of the Night LP Chrysalis (upgrading warped copy)
    Chambers Brothers: The Time Has Come LP Columbia (dupe for Cowbwoy)

Then dude Jmperlmu hooked me up with this stuff last night for well under eBay prices:
    Marlena Shaw: Spice of Life ('77 issue) LP (Chess)
    Shades of Brown: s/t LP (Cadet)

Also got a free copy of the new 2-Disc BIRD WITH CRYSTAL PLUMAGE DVD set with a full frequent buyers card to the local used disc shop.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    still working out of a daze from this weekends rec show.. found plenty of nice pieces though.

the bookends are my favs, that minnesoda is a must for fans of b-boy break heavy funk/rock. they do a sweet cover of cold blood's 'shop talk' and y'all probably know about that 'light of worlds' already.

You plan on putting any of those up on a GL auction?

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    Few things coming my way lately:

picked up a pair of Syreeta albums, although I'll probably just keep the latter:

1:

2:

Also this Mark Montgomery LP 'Bass Odyssey' on Chisa, know for the distortion-led groove of Fuselage Part 2. (Double)

3:

Picked up this Grupo Irakere album on the Cuban label Areito, too. It's not their most wanted, but check out the crazyness of Aguanile! I haven't decided whether or not it's too crazy for me yet.

4:

At my local spot waiting for me yesterday was this great looking copy of Baby Huey - always welcome.

5:

And finally, I picked up this album by the house band of the Tss. Mardi Gras, Island[/b], sailing from Miami to Nassau - the "fun boat" as they call it on the back liner notes. Check out their hilarious version of Lowdown - while the opening slap bass note is hilariously loud, I do like the sassy little synth noises at around 0:45. They also do an abominable cover of 'Shake Your Booty'.

6:

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

Picked up this Grupo Irakere album on the Cuban label Areito, too. It's not their most wanted, but check out the crazyness of Aguanile!
    too crazy[/b]

i love that tune.

but that has to be one of the worst versions i've heard. the synth is awful.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Love that Monk Montgomery. Definitely feeling the cover, "yeah, I'm sitting here by the Rocky Mountains playing my bass, what you want?"

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

You plan on putting any of those up on a GL auction?

ha! nah man, those are my babies (for now at least) but pm holler, we can work it out.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Love that Monk Montgomery. Definitely feeling the cover, "yeah, I'm sitting here by the Rocky Mountains playing my bass, what you want?"

One of my favorite "early" digs.

• still working out of a daze from this weekends rec show.. found plenty of nice pieces though.

that light of the worlds is actually pretty nice. if you ever come off that stop and go let me know i still need that puppy.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    That Candi Staton may be my favorite record I own. Top 5 "most played," at least.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Jack McDuff - Getting Our Thing Together
    Norman Connors - Slewfoot
    Teruo Nakamura - Manhattan Special
    Eddie Harris - That Is Why You Are Overweight
    Barney Kessel - Hair Is Beautiful
    Gil Evans - S/T on Ampex
    Mongo Santamaria - Up From The Roots

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Harumi on veve forecast (thanks Jeff)
    Gwydion- the faerie shaman " "
    Phil Upchurch- s/t on cadet (thanks Dave)
    Mike Longo- the awakening " "
    Buddy Terry- lean on him
    Jay Berliner- bananas are not created equal
    Harold Alexander- are you ready? on flying dutchman

rough rider lunchbox upgrade, Justin or Jeff need my spare?

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    nice records man. that harumi is a favorite of mine

• JayGeeJayGee 313 Posts
    That Irakere album has a great funk cut. Found another LP by them with the same cut, rest is cheese.

Anyways here's mine:

3rd Bass "Cactus" Lp
    Superlover Cee "Girls I Got Em Locked" 12
    Stan Getz "Interpretations 3" LP
    France Joli "Girl of the 80s" 12
    (starts out nice, but then goes kinda wrong)
    Shabaam Shadeeq "Are You Ready"
    (hmmmm....)
    Bily the Kidd "Say It Twice" 12
    (I kinda like it...i'm sure you dont!)
    Clara Ward Lp
    (danish prod gospel)

blablabla

some from the weekend, mad slowa:

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    some from the weekend, mad slowa:

something looks familiar

peace guz...

heh
    I only had the 12" single for "gettin' down" for the longest time. Great chune!

• That Candi Staton may be my favorite record I own. Top 5 "most played," at least.

old man sweetheart! whattasong. when she sings "an old man would be so grateful, you could just sit and talk" it always nearly chokes me up!?!?!

• Found this:

Jake knew it (bastard...) and i was wondering if yall knew anything about this record? value, rarity, etc... its pretty dope all the way through. weird effects on instruments and a cool vibe.

i live in a russian neighborhood is there things i should start looking around for or asking about? russian people can be scary but it wouldnt hurt to ask them for records...

dont know much about the international scene so this is much help. thanks!

oh and here are three snippets for yall to hear:

track 1

track 2

track 3

Her name is Alla Pugachova and she was a big star in Russia so the record isn't rare or expensive. Hayes over at Vinyl Vulture gave me info on this one a while back when I was puzzled. Tracklist and alternate cover here. I love 'Witch-doctor's Tambourine'. Such a great track.

• this pic has been sitting around for a couple weeks, but better late than never.

the front row i snagged from an online set sale at good prices- Pinnacle, Bishop, and Larry Willis were each $10 or under. Larry Young is mono.

Oh and the other thing- definitely my find of the year. Top of the line vintage vibe at a great price. I've been trolling the local listings for these for years, and its interesting how digging them up parallels digging for records- you end up driving out way into the sticks to find yourself in some stranger's dusty basement...

other recent acquisitions, not pictured:

Eddie Gale- Ghetto Music
    Jayne Cortez- Celebrations and Solitudes
    Ike Turner- Black Man's Soul
    (from Morocco Mole):
    Khan Jamal- Infinity
    Gerry Olds Trio- Here Goes

• this pic has been sitting around for a couple weeks, but better late than never.

the front row i snagged from an online set sale at good prices- Pinnacle, Bishop, and Larry Willis were each $10 or under. Larry Young is mono.

Oh and the other thing- definitely my find of the year. Top of the line vintage vibe at a great price. I've been trolling the local listings for these for years, and its interesting how digging them up parallels digging for records- you end up driving out way into the sticks to find yourself in some stranger's dusty basement...

other recent acquisitions, not pictured:

Eddie Gale- Ghetto Music
    Jayne Cortez- Celebrations and Solitudes
    Ike Turner- Black Man's Soul
    (from Morocco Mole):
    Khan Jamal- Infinity
    Gerry Olds Trio- Here Goes

Nice score, I've been checking for one of these for a while myself. I used to play when I had access to the Vibraphone at school but my broke-ass could never afford one/fit one in my tiny apartment. Now that I got the room it might be time to cop one.

• Uma Rosa Com Bossa
    Julinho Bossa Nova
    Os Intocaveis
    Soap Opera A Proxima Atracao
    Bariba Boys
    Conjunto Bembossa
    Samba Exportacao
    Samba Irrestivel
    Brazilian Sound

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    Uma Rosa Com Bossa
    Julinho Bossa Nova
    Os Intocaveis
    Soap Opera A Proxima Atracao
    Bariba Boys
    Conjunto Bembossa
    Samba Exportacao
    Samba Irrestivel
    Brazilian Sound

Hey sabadabada,

I'm just curious: does Os Intoc??veis have the blue/white or red cover?

If it has the blue/white one it's the OG; the red one is a reissue.

Anyway, I really dig their versions of Jorge Ben songs.

Peace

• its blie white with a drawing of peoples feet dancing

another good one by, I think, the same people.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    damn, i hate you leisure! whered you score that Cunimondo and Ann Peebles?