Aron's going out of business!!!

MicOneMicOne 23 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
Wow, I'm not so shocked about this since reading the other threads. This store has been one of the biggies since it opened in the early 70's and they are CLOSING by the 1st. of the year. An inside source just told me that they had a meeting yesterday to let everyone know they are bringing in no new product and liquidating over the next few weeks. Amoeba's in LA had put a huge crimp in their biz and so have all the trends in the music business.

Comments

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Nice one Bsides. Now can we have a "you know what? Fuck iTunes" thread?!

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I stopped by the shop yesterday and saw a sign saying "Closed at 2:00 Employee Meeting"

Thought it was odd. this really sucks I liked that store a whole lot, found heat quite a bit in there, not to mention women

• If they were smart, they would have seen this coming and gone into the videotape rental business.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Aaron's was butt, dawg.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    If they were smart, they would have seen this coming and gone into the videotape rental business.

VHS or Beta?

• Aaron's was butt, dawg.

Aron's has been butt recently...that's too bad. We need a TSL West over here!

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    If they were smart, they would have seen this coming and gone into the videotape rental business.

VHS or Beta?

Laserdisc F00

• beta has more of a future because its a superior product.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    beta has more of a future because its a superior product.

Same with New Coke

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    I say good riddance. They didn't seem like they valued their customers. Their used LP pricing didn't match the condition of the LPs. Too much stuff never made it to the floor. I haven't been there in a couple of month but may have to drop in if they are liquidating.

What's the word on the spot that Chris from Groove Merchant was talking about opening up for a month out here?

• even though aron's has been trash for the last couple years (even more than that, but i've pulled some heat as recently as that), it's still a shame to see them go out of business. they've been in business since '68, if i'm not mistaken. and all the memories from that spot... good times. oh well.

• I say good riddance.

place hasn't been about shit since the late 80's early 90's and the staff their can eat steaming pile of dung for all i care. hurry up and make a taco bell outta that shit already.

• I say good riddance.

place hasn't been about shit since the late 80's early 90's and the staff their can eat steaming pile of dung for all i care. hurry up and make a taco bell outta that shit already.

so you're saying you have no feelings either way about this?

• I say good riddance.

so you're saying you have no feelings either way about this?

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    Wow, I'm not so shocked about this since reading the other threads. This store has been one of the biggies since it opened in the early 70's and they are CLOSING by the 1st. of the year. An inside source just told me that they had a meeting yesterday to let everyone know they are bringing in no new product and liquidating over the next few weeks. Amoeba's in LA had put a huge crimp in their biz and so have all the trends in the music business.

I don't care what record store it is, its always sad for me to see/hear a store closing. I pulled many joints from Aron's over the years and even tho recently its been to me - I still liked Aron's overall......

For the homies (aka Aron's)...

• It's actually really sad.

Last time I bought from there they flooded the bins with a large private issue folk collection. I got some great stuff. Everything was 99 cents and $1.99. This was about 4 months ago. The guy at the counter bugged out when he saw me buy like 70 records and was like " this is some pretty good stuff ". He gripped.

Manny Aron was a legend in the LA record scene in the 70's. They would fill the bins with hundreds of records every night and when they would open in the morning all the heads would be in a line. This would happen every day of the week! all records were 33 cents, 66 cents and 99 cents. Leon would go every day in the 70's. Come out with stacks. You could make a living of that place alone back in those days.

The parking lot sales in the 80's and early 90's were epic too. Private issue was disposable. 23 cents was the price. You will still find records around LA today with that famous 23 cent parking lot sale price tag on it. Roy Porter... shit like that.

I started going there when it was on Melrose about 82 or 83 but I was buying Discharge records.

In recent years it has gotten so so bad. We all know how Amoeba took half the employes, 2/3rds of the business and 90% of the trade in's.

Now the people who work there no nothing about rare records.

I am not one to really go to record stores but Adam showed me and told me about all of the great stuff he had gotten there in the past year or two when he was working down the block at E. That CJ collection was epic modern soul come up. They just flooded the bins with that shit for weeks. $2.99 Glenn Jones and shit like that.

I guess Manny Aron sold the business or retired to Oregon or something several years ago.

You guys can hate on the shithole that the place has become in recent years but seriosuly that is a store of lore.

R.I.P. for real.

ap

• I am not one to really go to record stores but Adam showed me and told me about all of the great stuff he had gotten there in the past year or two when he was working down the block at E. That CJ collection was epic modern soul come up. They just flooded the bins with that shit for weeks. $2.99 Glenn Jones and shit like that.

R.I.P. for real.

ap

Yeah, I got some pretty cool 80's soul pieces outta there the couple of times I went within the last year or so. All of it was really reasonably priced too. Anthony, what is the CJ collection?

• dude ask adam not me. hes the one who built his modern soul collection with that shit.... i get no arons butt.

• It's actually really sad.

Last time I bought from there they flooded the bins with a large private issue folk collection. I got some great stuff. Everything was 99 cents and $1.99. This was about 4 months ago. The guy at the counter bugged out when he saw me buy like 70 records and was like " this is some pretty good stuff ". He gripped.

Manny Aron was a legend in the LA record scene in the 70's. They would fill the bins with hundreds of records every night and when they would open in the morning all the heads would be in a line. This would happen every day of the week! all records were 33 cents, 66 cents and 99 cents. Leon would go every day in the 70's. Come out with stacks. You could make a living of that place alone back in those days.

The parking lot sales in the 80's and early 90's were epic too. Private issue was disposable. 23 cents was the price. You will still find records around LA today with that famous 23 cent parking lot sale price tag on it. Roy Porter... shit like that.

I started going there when it was on Melrose about 82 or 83 but I was buying Discharge records.

In recent years it has gotten so so bad. We all know how Amoeba took half the employes, 2/3rds of the business and 90% of the trade in's.

Now the people who work there no nothing about rare records.

I am not one to really go to record stores but Adam showed me and told me about all of the great stuff he had gotten there in the past year or two when he was working down the block at E. That CJ collection was epic modern soul come up. They just flooded the bins with that shit for weeks. $2.99 Glenn Jones and shit like that.

I guess Manny Aron sold the business or retired to Oregon or something several years ago.

You guys can hate on the shithole that the place has become in recent years but seriosuly that is a store of lore.

R.I.P. for real.

ap

damn ap thanks for the history lesson. wish i could have been there back then.

which leon do you mean ? the only leon seller i know is like 30 or something.

• oh not that leon... i am talking about another guy you would not know who was before your time.

• I love that store. Proabaly a third of my records come from there. Their misc. section used to be off the hook. Its really a shame, but time marches on...

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Dude, that sucks for real.

Even though the store went to shit, It was MY store for such a long time, I hate to see it go. Ameoba sucks cause you cant listen to anything.

But really, its no suprise looking at how that place was run.

R.I.P.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Yeah, I got some pretty cool 80's soul pieces outta there the couple of times I went within the last year or so. All of it was really reasonably priced too. Anthony, what is the CJ collection?

The CJ collection was this amazing collection of early 80's modern soul records that some guy sold to several stores throughout LA. It got its name cause each record had a small orange sticker in the top corner with the initials "CJ" on it.

One day after work I stopped in and saw a couple modern titles I knew (Lew Kirton, etc.) surrounded by a bunch of soul stuff I wasn't famliar with. I must've spent the next 2 hours grabbing anything with the CJ sticker and taking it to the listening station. After a while I decided I had overstayed my listening station visit so I called AP and asked him, little doud to big doud, to help me.

Everything in the collection was between.99 and 4.99. I spent over $150 in the store that day, came back the next and dropped an additional $75 or so. In the next few weeks I saw more "CJ" albums at Atomic, Record City and Amoeba. Shit was absolutely bonkers

Anthony is not lying about that being the start of my modern osul collection. I found a ton of stuff that day that I took home and loved, it made me want to learn more about 80's soul and heped spawn an avatar empire

• Yeah, I got some pretty cool 80's soul pieces outta there the couple of times I went within the last year or so. All of it was really reasonably priced too. Anthony, what is the CJ collection?

The CJ collection was this amazing collection of early 80's modern soul records that some guy sold to several stores throughout LA. It got its name cause each record had a small orange sticker in the top corner with the initials "CJ" on it.
    One day after work I stopped in and saw a couple modern titles I knew (Lew Kirton, etc.) surrounded by a bunch of soul stuff I wasn't famliar with. I must've spent the next 2 hours grabbing anything with the CJ sticker and taking it to the listening station. After a while I decided I had overstayed my listening station visit so I called AP and asked him, little doud to big doud, to help me.

Everything in the collection was between.99 and 4.99. I spent over $150 in the store that day, came back the next and dropped an additional $75 or so. In the next few weeks I saw more "CJ" albums at Atomic, Record City and Amoeba. Shit was absolutely bonkers

Anthony is not lying about that being the start of my modern osul collection. I found a ton of stuff that day that I took home and loved, it made me want to learn more about 80's soul and heped spawn an avatar empire

Word, sounds good.

• Post a pic of the sticker. Or you took them all off.

Also that is fucked up that Arons is closing. Now the train/bus ride isn't gonna be worth it as much as it used to be. So is everything gonna get reduced pricing or what?

• I'll have to check it out before it's gone. i live in W Hollywood so I never make that way. It's too far.

I hate driving and parking in Hollywood, so I only hit a few spots there, Aron's not being one of them. Oh well, hopefully they'll have a clearance.

• I know I ranted about Arons a few months ago but it still sucks to see any record store go out of business as well as seing some of its employees being out of a job.

Aron's started it all for me and is the place where I bought my first record (magic mikes theme). I did a good amount of my record homework at Arons and have met a couple friends from there as well.

With that said...Anyone go to the liquidation blowout today???

INSANITY!!!! They wanted to go out with a bang and did they ever. Raer all across the board. Private press soul, 80's soul and funk, private label jazz....it goes on and on! Bought over 100 records today

RIP ARONS

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts

INSANITY!!!! They wanted to go out with a bang and did they ever. Raer all across the board. Private press soul, 80's soul and funk, private label jazz....it goes on and on! Bought over 100 records today

RIP ARONS

I wish I were in LA now!

SG

• Is this a trend? My nearest (20 miles away) used record spot just closed down this week... what does the future hold for used record shops. How long is it before it isn't possible to go and browse the racks at a second hand vinyl store? Is it going to be record fairs and online dealers ONLY in about 5 years?

• dayday 9,612 Posts