Audio Cleaning Question

sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
I have a mono/stereo ripping question? I use audio cleaner to rip the files I turn into MP3s for my site. The default setting for this is to record in stereo, and then I usually compress the track into mono using the mono/stereo adjuster in the effects functions because it seems to suppress some of the background noise and crackle. Someone said that it would be better to just use one track, since its a mono recording anyway, and then split that track, because by combining both tracks Im really just compressing the noise from both channels and to use one track (the cleaner if it can be determined) would be more effective at cutting the noise. Does anyone familiar with this program know how this can be accomplished.

Comments

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    dont know what program your talkin about, but who ever you talked to is right. if you are digitizing a mono recording, see if you can record in mono, or just pick a side. when you take both and collapse it to mono, you are doubling the loudness of the recording, as well as the noise.

• it makes sense, i just need somebody who knows the program how i can do it, or maybe its something with the cables and a splitter, but then I would have to decide which channel to record ahead of time.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Don't know your program, but in Goldwave you go to Effects > Stereo > and then "Mono Left" or "Mono Right" and it's done. Look for something similar in your software.

• Don't know your program, but in Goldwave you go to Effects > Stereo > and then "Mono Left" or "Mono Right" and it's done. Look for something similar in your software.

FUCK YEAH GOLDWAVE!!! I didn't think anyone else still used that!! I do some sample trimming with it, and also just quick recording shit rather than opening up Nuendo. I used to compose whole tracks in there though... WITH NO UNDO!!!

• Waves Plugins are pretty ill for restaurating.
    Realheadz may know they are rediculously expensive and therefore you might wanna join the "test before buy..............................maybe test a little bit longer........." crew