Disco (soul/funk) records you’re feelin

Comments

• player's association "love hangover" 12" is nice.
    also the Touch lp cut of "love hangover" is dope.

nice score on the dunn pearson...that track is easier to catch on the red greg disco picks 12".

• Tantra "hills of killimanjaro" is pretty dope...i have it on a uniwave 12" as a remix which is very nice. the track "mother africa" was a big levan/garage track.

Tantra's "Wishbone" is crazy hott too!.... Super minimal, and has a ridiculous bass line.

Also, Kongas "Dr Doo-Wah" is a joint. / Don Ray "My Desire" ,off the Garden Of Love classic, is a really nice sleez jam. And of course "Standing In The Rain" and "Body & Soul"...

• hey i just have to ask..are you kon from kon and amir? man i really love ya'll stuff.

• jeanette "lady day"-come let me love you.

This is a GREAT track, and only common to disco collectors/fans. Whenever I've played this out and the breakdown goes in, and the chant comes in:

"Aint nobody love you like I do, aint nobody do the things I do the way I do..."

That shit will get anyone to pay attention and start dancing.

By the way, for the second time, this thread is

• By the way, who likes "Let's Do It" by Convertion?

• Some personal favourites...

• Yeah it's a bloody good track, I've been hammering it here in Oslo for quite some time. The kind of track you put on when coming home from office friday afternoon

Anyways I'm loving this at the moment Bill - Space lady (larry mcgee)

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

I know that's from the Cooley High Soundtrack, but who the hell is Dewane Dixon? Is that the person credited with making the song, or the person that did the edit?

Because if that is Walter Gibbon's personal edit...

• I know that's from the Cooley High Soundtrack, but who the hell is Dewane Dixon? Is that the person credited with making the song, or the person that did the edit?

Dewane is the mixer of the edit, but it doesn't have other tracks spliced into it like many other
    Sunshine Sound acetates, so it's presumably close to Walter's approach when he blended it live.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    By the way, who likes "Let's Do It" by Convertion?

HAND S IN THE AIR

word... there's another dope convertion 12" as well.

• By the way, who likes "Let's Do It" by Convertion?

HAND S IN THE AIR

word... there's another dope convertion 12" as well.

Sweet thing? Tune!!

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

I know that's from the Cooley High Soundtrack, but who the hell is Dewane Dixon? Is that the person credited with making the song, or the person that did the edit?

Dewane is the mixer of the edit, but it doesn't have other tracks spliced into it like many other
    Sunshine Sound acetates, so it's presumably close to Walter's approach when he blended it live.

Nice.

BTW Walter Gibbons eventually cut an edit to save himself some work. So it is out there. I heard a rumor that the Ballroom edit was a bootleg of it, but I don't think that it is true. I gotta check my sources on that one...

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    Nobody's yet mentioned the Henri-Pierre Noel private-press Haitian disco LP. How can this be? The big track is a seriously heavy piano-driven deep disco with a killer breakdown. Hot tune, for sure.

Does anybody have extras of this one? Oh wait, I do. Check out my trades list in the trades forum.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Did anyone mention 'Casanova' by Coffee? I really like that song.

• good to see heads from Norway here!

thanks for the mp3..

Vet du om det finnes noen radioshow i Oslo for soul/funk/disco/breaks/raregroove etc etc?

Han derre reggae fyren som spiller p?? radio tellus (99.3) p?? mandager,
    sa jeg burde skaffe meg et show der..men det er jo litt kjipt ?? ha show alene da..

Scored this today for $7 sealed!

I took this image from an e-bay auction where it nearly sold for $400.

nice catch....$400 is ridiculous...fuck outta here
    people are dickriding the same records...thats the problem with the pricing.
    i copped a joint recently.. for about $30 ,that i know somebody paid $ 400 for off ebay...
    its all about what is "known"

WORD, its all about the "known" records. I hate when stuff like that turns popular..
    all that P&P stuff on eBay. eBayers killing each other for records. WTF?
    I like finding undiscovered records..its all cheap!
    And you guys are lucky living in the states so you can cop killer records like this so cheap.
    I live in fucking Norway! No records at all! I have to waste money on eBay or buy re-issues to get those tunes....fook!

• Options
    Montreal find, Raj? Not too many of those floating around anymore.

Had a 25 count of those at one point.

K.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Montreal find, Raj? Not too many of those floating around anymore.

Had a 25 count of those at one point.

K.

Philly find actually... got it from a guy who ran an independent radio station in the 80s.

WORD, its all about the "known" records. I hate when stuff like that turns popular..
    all that P&P stuff on eBay. eBayers killing each other for records. WTF?
    I like finding undiscovered records..its all cheap!
    And you guys are lucky living in the states so you can cop killer records like this so cheap.
    I live in fucking Norway! No records at all! I have to waste money on eBay or buy re-issues to get those tunes....fook!

well its tough when everyone is looking for records from the exact same time period - 77 - 83 on the same small labels.

i've found more dope records this year from 84-89 for a buck a pop than i would have even considered possible 3 years ago.

no records in norway?? dude norway OWNS the world in terms of deep cosmic spacey disco goodness at the moment. If you follow any recent developements in nu disco / house / balearic / cosmic you should be pretty happy to call norway home.

• yeah new music..but you cant find good soul/funk/disco lps and 12" in Norway. Only the killer norwegian grooves. http://www.maidenvoyage.no/

• Options

i've found more dope records this year from 84-89 for a buck a pop than i would have even considered possible 3 years ago.

I beg to differ.

K.

• i believe gibbons would blend the cooley joint with "erucu" and the rare earth "happy song" right? i have a Rated X boot of "happy song" and the lp cut of it.

my fave version of "erucu" is on this Motown Instrumentals lp that has a sick cover...a modular moog floating in space.

I beg to differ.

K.

i can't take dusty grooves all day.. gimme some pounding linn drum, latin rascals edits, dudes in parachute pants playing hexagagonal syntoms, brittish guys named rodney rapping etc etc.

that's the glory days of 12"s right there man. and frankly i find the music infinitly more unpredictable from this period.. youve got you post electro, proto house, psuedo hi nrg, post new wave white funk... and every 12" has got about 15 mixes on them.

shit is also infinitly more BANGING on a big system.

• that c henry woods troupe "stranger" track is pretty ill...i have this early 2000s edit of it on this british house label called Recreation or something. found it at a thrift store. there's this other dope disco tune called "the Stranger" too...i have it on a uniwave 12" but there's a ballroom edit of it.

how is that 12" mix of Touch of Class "I'm in Heaven"? i love that tune...only have it on lp. i also have a version of it by this jazz player whose name escapes me now...

• that c henry woods troupe "stranger" track is pretty ill...i have this early 2000s edit of it on this british house label called Recreation or something. found it at a thrift store. there's this other dope disco tune called "the Stranger" too...i have it on a uniwave 12" but there's a ballroom edit of it.

how is that 12" mix of Touch of Class "I'm in Heaven"? i love that tune...only have it on lp. i also have a version of it by this jazz player whose name escapes me now...

Easy Poprock, the 'Shining Star' track in uniwave is also great, the Touch of Class 12" is a favourite, there's a US and UK 12", but not sure how they differ (if at all) from the LP version as I've not heard it...

• RezRez 164 Posts
    Anyone else think Panache is boring?

yes

and yes again...and another (VERY) boring, no to hell with it, tell it like it is - very, very bad Disco twelve is Ahzz 'New York's Movin' on Land Of Hits - boy - Patrick & Peter weren't on their A&R game that day...should never have been pressed - excrutiatingly out of tune and a complete mess...makes $$100s regular tho - why??

Rez

• i was just looking thru some shit and i pulled some more favs.

1.atmosfear-xtra special 12"
    2.Charles Earland-Coming to You Live 12"
    3.Charles Earland-Mercy 12"
    4.Blue Feather- It's Love 12"
    5.Made in the U.S.A.-Gotta Get High 12"
    6.Aquarian Dream-You're a Star 12"
    7.The McCrarys-Love On a Summer Night 12"
    8.Charles Earland-Let the Music Play 12"

OH YEAH

this hits me in that special extra cheese on the side spot just like Caprice - 100% & Cheri's Murphies Law

• RezRez 164 Posts
    haha no, did I say that? Its just records i really love, but I dont have money to buy expensive OGs, Im only 17.. dont even have a job...

I knew someone would ask that question! Thought about it after posting..

I own some of those records and those I dont have in OGs, I have in re-issues. Better than nothing!

but I have mostly rare and obscure records thats not "known" or should I say "hyped up (on eBay)"?..

Ya have cool taste for a teenager - when I was 17 I was into Echo & The Bunnymen..

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

OH YEAH

this hits me in that special extra cheese on the side spot

Many good cuts on that LP.