Question for the truly Heavy

Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
Bit of a complicated question, so don't read if you're in a hurry:So I saw that sealed Thrust on here earlier today and I was initially amazed that people would be willing to spend all that cash on a record which objectively probably doesn't have any better music than a ten dollar record. (maybe it does) But then I was thinking -- I'm kind of a middleweight with the records, you know like 4k or so, and I still feel like there's tons of new places to look. If I had 5 hundo to drop, I'd buy 10 fifty dollar records. I mean there's still glaring gaps in my collection. I don't even have "It's Just Begun" or Power of Zeus. And I was thinking, what the hell do I need power of Zeus for? But I still want it, badly. Only becasue I feel like my collection won't be complete without it. And I'm still at that stage where there are innumerable 50-80 dollar records that I would be thrilled to have. My question is for the truly heavy is, is the reason you would be willing to pay that kind of money on a single record due to the fact that you're attaining completeness on your collection? That there are only so few real gems left, that without them, you collection is incomplete? I know there are untold amounts of records out there, and I'm sure people will still be digging up new crazy shit in 30 years. But the bulk of all records are crap, so are these Thrust type records the only real things left for you?? That you've exhausted all the known genres and figured out what you like and what you need? Cause when I think about it, in three or four years I'll probably have added on a couple thou, and gotten rid of a bunch of toy shit in the process, so I could see dropping that for thrust. I used to want that Mickey Mantle too. (bad anaology, I know, but record people are music lovers and collectors, am I wrong?)Anyway, late night stony question, take it or leave it.

Comments

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Son, don't risk it.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Son, don't risk it.

Or perhaps it's "Sun, don't risk it."

• records make people do funny things.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Son, don't risk it.

That would have been better.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Son, don't risk it.

HAND PAINTED
    SUN RA
    DON'T RISK IT

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    records make people do funny things.

Well, I figured the original poster was Sun Fortune so...

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    If you want it (and can afford it), buy it.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    THIS IS THE WAY WE BALL
    AND WE LIKE OUR MUSIC SLOW

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    records make people do funny things.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    So I saw that sealed Thrust on here earlier today and I was initially amazed that people would be willing to spend all that cash on a record which objectively probably doesn't have any better music than a ten dollar record. (maybe it does)

It does. It's a real "face melter". Buy the reissue.

Oh yeah, people spend that kinda money cause they have small dicks.

Not surprisingly, a survey of happiness in 40 countries found that money can buy happiness[/b], at least to some extent: People tend to be happier when they are living in better economic conditions (Schyns, 1998). In addition, happiness was correlated with the number of opportunities for cultural enrichment only in rich countries, which may suggest that basic needs (such as adequate shelter and nutrition) take precedence and, until they are satisfied, other events or opportunities cannot substitute for them in producing happiness (Kosslyn/Rosenberg 400).

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Not surprisingly, a survey of happiness in 40 countries found that money can buy happiness[/b], at least to some extent: People tend to be happier when they are living in better economic conditions (Schyns, 1998). In addition, happiness was correlated with the number of opportunities for cultural enrichment only in rich countries, which may suggest that basic needs (such as adequate shelter and nutrition) take precedence and, until they are satisfied, other events or opportunities cannot substitute for them in producing happiness (Kosslyn/Rosenberg 400).

But, without the indigent, we would have no ethnic folkways - upon which my happiness relies. What a moral & philosophical can of worms...

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    But, without the indigent, we would have no ethnic folkways - upon which my happiness relies. What a moral & philosophical can of worms...

No its easy, they have no money in order for them to make us happy. If everybody were happy and makin babies, in the current state of things, we would deplete our resources and all drown together. Its a shitty way to think, but I dont see a way around it.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

No its easy, they have no money in order for them to make us happy. If everybody were happy and makin babies, in the current state of things, we would deplete our resources and all drown together. Its a shitty way to think, but I dont see a way around it. [/b]

with all due respect...that's the stupidest thing I have read on here in a while.

That's an elitist, simplistic, stupid, destructive way to think, not just shitty.

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    Its merely an argument, not the way I feel nor would want things to be. If its so stupid, propose an alternative to that scenario. We live in a heirarchy, thats a fact. Denying it is even more ignorant. No disrepect.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    If you want it (and can afford it), buy it.

That's what I'm saying. I can't wait till I'm older. I will be cleaning up ebay with no remorse.

Word. Nate B knows the deal.

And wait till I get a job. I will be cleaning up on ebay with no remorse.

• My question is for the truly heavy is, is the reason you would be willing to pay that kind of money on a single record due to the fact that you're attaining completeness on your collection? That there are only so few real gems left, that without them, you collection is incomplete?

I think this description only applies to a minority of the guys going after those big pieces.

I think you might be surprised at some of the basic gaps in a lot of these dude's collection. Of course, there are plenty of dudes that are only interested in collecting RAER and don't view the absence of EWF or BT Express albums as "gaps" at all...

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    Spendin money like that goes with getting tired of the same old shit too. Power of Zeus and Its Just Begun (you shouldn't be paying any more than 20$ on this) are not hard to find, McNeal and Niles is super hard to find, especially sealed. The money comes with the rarity my man. Also you start spending money like that when you get real bored of the same old records... and you're looking to put a little SPYCE in your life.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Spendin money like that goes with getting tired of the same old shit too. Power of Zeus and Its Just Begun (you shouldn't be paying any more than 20$ on this) are not hard to find, McNeal and Niles is super hard to find, especially sealed. The money comes with the rarity my man. Also you start spending money like that when you get real bored of the same old records... and you're looking to put a little SPYCE in your life.

Thrust completely ownz Power of Zues in soooo many ways. Get the reissue.

• Options
    SPYCE

Not

K.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts

Cosign... it also has to do with how often something is up for sale. You can get a $20 record like It's Just Begun pretty much any time, but for big time raers, you can't just get it when you're ready. Sometimes you gotta jump on the opportunity when it's available even if there's a $20 record missing in your collection. You can always go back to that. A collection would be pretty bland if you only worked from the bottom up.

DJ Ferrari

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Check this out though, sometimes you buying one raer on ebay for a shitload will make others come out of the woodwork.

I once spent like 140 quid on a record that was never on there. The reason I bought it for that much was cause a: It was the reserve and b: It was the one record responsible for me getting into collecting and digging in the first place.

Anyway, so I get this record and then all of a sudden all these other ones start appearing (cause they were thinking 'SHHHEEEIIIIT, I can make 140 on this').

It now goes weekly for 40 - not as raer as I thought - should have researched it more really.