1 More Hit...

Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
Whoo, have any of you seen the trailer for this ? It's a documentary about J-swift and his problems following the demise of the "The Pharcyde".Seems as if when they found him he was homeless and addicted to crack, so they convinced hime to make a reality tv show, which from the trailer looks as if it was a little short on reality...

Comments

• that link doesn't load.

Error 404

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    I think you put htlm instead of html...that should fix any problems folks may have with the link. That looks really interesting.

• ah!

• That looks really fucked.

• that link doesn't load.

Error 404

Oops my mistake, sorry fixed it now

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    ugh. shit.

exploit the addict by... giving him more drugs!!

brilliant.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    That trailer is fucked up. His fights with the girl for crack. Shit i think it slightly trivializes crack use though. I thought it was way more fucked up than that. Take another hit, take another hit... thats great television what has this society become...Encompasses all thats bad in it

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    That looks really fucked.

It'll be interesting to see how willing the filmmakers are to turn the cameras around on themselves, cause they def look like they're exploiting him in that trailor.

• I'm not certain but I think it's someone else making the documentary as they are making the tv series, thus exposing the fucked up corruption of the whole thing...
    All in all it seems a pretty shitty deal for J-Swift, almost as if he's being doubley exploited.

• I got the impression that this documentary was comprised of bits and pieces from a failed reality movie/TV show. I was surprised how coherent he seemed. I've always held a picture of crack addicts being incomprehensible bumbling fools. If I'd seen J Swift on the streets I wouldn't have pegged him as an addict.

I'm not certain but I think it's someone else making the documentary as they are making the tv series, thus exposing the fucked up corruption of the whole thing...
    All in all it seems a pretty shitty deal for J-Swift, almost as if he's being doubley exploited.

Ahh, that makes more sense. Now I really want to see this.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I got the impression that this documentary was comprised of bits and pieces from a failed reality movie/TV show. I was surprised how coherent he seemed. I've always held a picture of crack addicts being incomprehensible bumbling fools. If I'd seen J Swift on the streets I wouldn't have pegged him as an addict.

I know this isnt entirely true, but most people that you see on the streets are addicts.

• If I'd seen J Swift on the streets I wouldn't have pegged him as an addict.

The thing is, a lot addicts that hit rock bottom (no pun intended) and don't get back up have other problems as well. These, often times, are the more visual addicts. The bugged out crazy ones. Half the time they are already crazy and the crack just exaggerates it. Many addicts are otherwise intelligent people who are good at hiding their addiction. They hold down jobs, tach, raise children, and teach in schools , meanwhile, hitting the rock cocaine. We would all be surprised by some people we know like this.

I know because I lived on the streets, did and sold rock and dope. Most people didn't know it. I looked so young and clean, people just thought I was a school kid. We'd smoke crack on staircases, and go on crazy adventures in the hood (SFM). The night life in the mission's alleys was like the zombies and gangsters paradise. My college friends wouldn't go there in the day. I thought I was different because I'd maintain, stay clean, meet girls, get money. I was an intellectual crack smoker. A painter and a poet. I thought. I had a double life. A street life, and college friends. My college hommies had no idea i was a crack head. If you knew me you wouldn't believe it. A lot of my clients and local hoods didn't believe it either. Thought i was just one of those young, highschool punks, makin' money. I was a few years outa highschool by then.

I guess I was different. Stronger than most. Kicked all that shit with nothing but some valliums and a lot of Mary Jane. Ha ha suckas.

• BTW I hope the best for J Swift. IMO his production took the album to the next level.

• Many addicts are otherwise intelligent people who are good at hiding their addiction. They hold down jobs, tach, raise children, and teach in schools , meanwhile, hitting the rock cocaine. We would all be surprised by some people we know like this.

I had a neighbor who did rock and heroin and held down a regular job. His roommate was also on that shit and worked at a hospital. Before that, I didn't know about functional addicts. I always pictured crack heads as the sterotypical Pookie (new Jack City)types on the street. Someone I know also slanged and an award winning high school basketball coach (who I knew) and a judge were dude's clients.

night of the living functional baseheads

• I started a conversation about this elsewhere and look who chimes in...
    As someone that spent 8 months making that album with J. Swift I am saddened to see this.

But the "Music Business" didn't make him that way, as one interviewee suggested. He was clearly a brilliant and talented kid when I worked with him, and the only obstacle between J. Swift and mondo success as a hip hop producer, was himself.

If you're not familiar with "The Bizarre Ride to the Pharcyde," it is considered one of the quintissential West Coast rap albums in the hey day of rap music. I was fortunate to have worked on it.

I hope he can get it together.

Eric Sarafin

Mixer/Engineer