Jamaica recommendations?

leisurebanditleisurebandit 1,006 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
Going to JA next week. flying to Montego Bay, going to Negril.
[unfortunately] i will only be on that side of the island, i think.
I remember reading previous discussion saying that vinyl digging is tough in JA, but i'm just wondering if anyone can recommend anything in particular (RR or NRR)
peace and thanks in advance!

Comments

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    Try and get to a cricket test match, South Africa are in the middle of a series against the West Indies. I don't know where the next one is, but they last for 5 days. Cricket is my absolute shit.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Pick up anything on Leal for me. Thanks.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    "Gunshot means forward." Remember that and you should be aaaight.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Unfortunatley I've heard that the Montego Bay side of the island is pretty dry for good vinyl.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    If your on one of those all-inclusive packages, your activities will be set out for you,just kick back enjoy the white sand beach and the blue waters.
    No records in Ja truthfully, good records are hard to come by outhere.

• Options
    Unfortunatley I've heard that the Montego Bay side of the island is pretty dry for good vinyl.

Which is sad because that area was riddled with stores back in the 70's. How do I know this? MY store stamped 45 sleeve collection and conversation with many older Jamaicans.

K.

P.S. It's also where much of the funky shit came from.

• Options

• If your on one of those all-inclusive packages, your activities will be set out for you,

well it is an al-inclusive dealie, but not a typical one. I have to play jazz for a couple hours a day tops and the rest of the time is mine to do whatever.
    So it sounds pretty discouraging on the RR front but i'll still ask around i guess. thanks for the replies!

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

Yes - stuff like that. Thanks for the visual, SF. Now, LB knows what to look for. Hey: I'll give you $10 ($10!) for the LP. $15 if it's NM.

Think about it.