Its mad dry out (lotion related)

Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
man, my skin is fucked up. after the flight last week and dry wind in NY, I can barely open my eyes. My girl is taking me on a lotion buying excursion after work. Any body got some good lotion rituals/products to recommend? I remember the loofa thread a while back and I gotta get one of those. Im looking for some masculine, soulstrut-approved lotion, not penis cream.

Comments

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Let me get this straight, your skin is so dry that you are having trouble opening your eyes?

Damn man, between this and your living space,

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    almond oil

grape seed oil

vitamin e

all are fragrance free, found at health food stores.

do not get anything with alcohol in it as that dries you even more.

also kiehl's has some very good lotions - but they are expensive shit.

i'd go with one of the three mentioned above. with the oils, put it on right after you get out of the shower and give it time to absorb before you dress/leave the house. otherwise, put it on before bed and make sure it's rubbed in well and not too greasy.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    Sorbolene creams are nice...ya can try those perhaps

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    As someone with EXTREMELY dry skin myself, lemme first say don't wash in the shower with anything other than Dove Unscented... it actually moisturizes where everything else just dries out further

And lotion-wise, the only thing I fuck with is Lubriderm Sensitive Skin... real wet but it absorbs fast...

This is the key to success for me after years of experience... I don't mess with the expensive crap at the health food store because its only ever been a waste of money for me... and a dermatologist recommended these products to me... I'll add that I have extremely sensitive skin and eczema as well

I don't mess with the expensive crap at the health food store because its only ever been a waste of money for me... and a dermatologist recommended these products to me... I'll add that I have extremely sensitive skin and eczema as well

not sure if you're referring to my earlier post - but everything i listed is cheaper that any lotion and doesn't have any other wierd ingredients like perfume, alcohol, preservatives and dyes.

it really depends on the ailment and the person.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    not sure if you're referring to my earlier post - but everything i listed is cheaper that any lotion and doesn't have any other wierd ingredients like perfume, alcohol, preservatives and dyes.

None of that crap in the two items I mentioned either- thats why I can use them

I'd like to try those oils actually- but I don't like to put stuff on when I go to bed and wouldn't often be able to hang out naked absorbing stuff after showering

I get a little bent when it comes to those expensive Whole Foods treatments cuz I worked there for years and tried a lot of that stuff out and was left with all the same skin problems and a much slimmer wallet...

Have you ever used tea tree oil? I hear a lot of great things about it...

Agreed- I meant to stress that this was what I came up with for ME after years of experimentation... and my condition is fairly unique

None of that crap in the two items I mentioned either- thats why I can use them

I'd like to try those oils actually- but I don't like to put stuff on when I go to bed and wouldn't often be able to hang out naked absorbing stuff after showering

I get a little bent when it comes to those expensive Whole Foods treatments cuz I worked there for years and tried a lot of that stuff out and was left with all the same skin problems and a much slimmer wallet...

Have you ever used tea tree oil? I hear a lot of great things about it...

Agreed- I meant to stress that this was what I came up with for ME after years of experimentation... and my condition is fairly unique

for sure - some of the lotions and potions at health food store are just as much a bullshit chemical soup as anything you'd get at the drug store. That's why I think the vitamin e and the oils are best cause they're straightforward.

Tea tree oil is a little strong for me - I don't like the smell and it kind of burned on my skin. I used to use it on cuts - but didn't really see that much of a difference. I know some folks who do swear by it though.

Just out of curiosity, if you don't mind my asking - what did you get for the exczema?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    I have an interesting proposition that actually combines natural and manufactured
    Karite butter

Karite is a plant from african regions

Its an incredible product that gets used in all those age defying creams and shits. World market exploitation aside (damn big corps like olay) it can be found in cheaper/purer versions in african product stores (however an oversees gift is still the best)

The thing with this shit is that it lasts super long when put pure it has regenarating purpose (great for slight cuts and brusises) but imean i put in on spots and it stays there for like a day moist.

So yeah its probably expensive/complicated for daily use. But its incredible for fullday protection (going snowwalking steez)

good luck finding it but i think you can find corporatised versions of it

• yo, you need a healthy skin regimin:

exfoliating washcloth
    moisturizing body soap
    and some of this:

make sure and put it on right after you shower, so it will lock in the moisture.

Any other questions, just watch or read American Psycho