I dont listen to reggae really CONFESSION BOOTH

Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
edited November 2005 in Music Talk
I know Im not the only one. Consolidate here. I bought the Dr Alimantado when I was first starting and thought it was allright. Maybe Im not listening to the right schitt, but it doesnt do all that much for me. And yes, I smoke refer.No disrespect, I also love free jazz.

Comments

• I looooove me some Jamaican music, especially old ska and rocksteady, as well as reggae and dub. My wife on the other hand HATES it (which is rare, she usually likes what I listen to...). I mainly listen to it at work and in the car....

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I'll admit to this confession... Especially new roots type stuff, some of it's great but I'm sorry to say I find a lot of it a bit cheesy. I do like Lee Perry, King Tubby and the like, but so does everybody.

• my favorite part of jamaican music is when they blow that foghorn when mixing tracks. Errrrrrrrrrrr.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts

Maybe Im not listening to the right schitt, but it doesnt do all that much for me.

as long as we are confessing things...........I dont like jazz all that much. Oh there are some jazz recordings I like, some I LOVE. But I am not an overall fan of the genre.

• Man you guys needs to get yourself some of these bad boys:

...'cos there's just something perfect about the combination of those syncopated drums with the deep bass and sweet vocals. My current favourite is that remix of Sam Cooke's 'Love me' on the party time riddim. I defy any soul lover not to be moved by that.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I used to poor boiling water on the ants when I was a kid and I only listen to reggae on summer.

• i don't like reggae

i love it.

old ska, dub, rocksteady and roots....come to me.

also:

500[/b], but still a lil dude.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    I don't own a single reggae record.

But I'ld be happy to go and listen to a night of it, if a quality DJ was playing.

there are definitly a lot of reggae songs I love. But there are more that I dont. I guess that is the best way to put it.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    I've gotten so burnt out on Reggae living in VT, it's hard to get exited about it.

They had a class @ UVM called "Rhetoric of Reggae Music" which was actually really cool.

Anyway, I like it, but don't seek it out.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    soul / funk / jazz / breaks / diggers who don't mess with reggae is just

but it seems to be a common occurance

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

Some Roots and 80s dub puts me in a trance and sends me to sleep, which is not what I want from my music, and too much melodica pisses me off, and I only own about 3 Bob Marley records just for the hell of it, and I own even less records with red, black, green and lions on them.

But yeah, Rocksteady is unfuckwittable. Heavy bass, chops, and soulful vocals... isn't that the essence of what the best music is all about?? If you're not diggin for strictly breaks, but for beautiful music, early 70s Jamaica is the shit.

I feel a comp coming on so that Real Headz may know the deal.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    i like that we don't all like the same things.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    I hate Soca

• I hate Soca

I wanted to like it, I tried to like it, I think I even once claimed I liked it at a West Indian night at this bar in Philly. But I just don't.

Reggae, on the other hand, is my shit and is currently threatening to take over my record collection.

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    I hate Soca

seriously. I can't get with calypso either.

• But yeah, Rocksteady is unfuckwittable. Heavy bass, chops, and soulful vocals... isn't that the essence of what the best music is all about?? If you're not diggin for strictly breaks, but for beautiful music, early 70s Jamaica is the shit.

I feel a comp coming on so that Real Headz may know the deal.

Please enlighten me with that comp. Im as eager as anyone else for new music. Critical beatdowns are always appreciated.

• sergserg 682 Posts

Maybe Im not listening to the right schitt, but it doesnt do all that much for me.

I don't think it's shitty but I just can't get excited over it. If dj's playing reggae it's cool but I'm not going out of my way to check it out.

I hate Soca

What about Soca Disco?

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    I hate Soca

What about Soca Disco?

I hate Soca

What about Soca Disco?

thats pretty fresh

• Options
    I don't like that Dr A album either, and I quite like all facets of the music (save for most dancehall), but I'm careful to dismiss whole areas of music (simply because I've been proven wrong again and again).

I won't Let You Go (soulful ska)

soul sonstitution (deep slow and low funk/breaks)

Been SO Long (soulful rocksteady/reggae

Come To Zion (deep roots tune)

Meditation (unfuckwithable dub)

DJ style

Wondering (straight up JA sweet soul)

It's all in what you've heard/seen, K.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

I don't think it's shitty but I just can't get excited over it. If dj's playing reggae it's cool but I'm not going out of my way to check it out.

• Options
    I hate Soca

What about Soca Disco?

Ya Sure

Isn't that Dimitri's edit? i think I sold him that 12...

K.

• Options
    I hate Soca

seriously. I can't get with calypso either.

You're lyin'.

K.

• What Dr. A are we talking about? Best Dressed Chicken? Man, that album smokes (IMO).

I'm also careful of writing off whole genres. I don't think any real music enthusiast can or should do that. Moreover, I think it's a broad display of ignorance. If you are asking, as Sun Fortune is, to be enlightened, that's cool. If you're doing so to show how far you've progressed in your collecting habits, then it's pretty sad...

• I don't like that Dr A album either, and I quite like all facets of the music (save for most dancehall), but I'm careful to dismiss whole areas of music (simply because I've been proven wrong again and again).

I won't Let You Go (soulful ska)

soul sonstitution (deep slow and low funk/breaks)

Been SO Long (soulful rocksteady/reggae

Come To Zion (deep roots tune)

Meditation (unfuckwithable dub)

DJ style

Wondering (straight up JA sweet soul)

It's all in what you've heard/seen, K.

AWESOME! Ok, Im starting to get it.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    I listen to a LOT of reggae. Dancehall & roots joints. How many of you have seen a top sound system live? Hyped crowd, everyone has lighters in the air, mad dub plates being dropped, DJ keeping the crowd involved, shit is dope. Mighty Crown were here in Seattle a couple years ago and those guys were INCREDIBLE!
    Seeing a soundsystem live is a great experience, but make sure it's a top sound system as I am sure there are some wack ones. Stone Love, Killamanjaro, Mighty Crown, Bass Odyssey, etc.
    I've never been to a real soundclash, but would love to check one out sometime.

I hate Soca

What about Soca Disco?

Ya Sure

Isn't that Dimitri's edit? i think I sold him that 12...

K.

Round these parts we like to call it the new L Michels disco jawn.... But yeah.

I have a few if anyone needs.