"SF is a weak ass pie-town"

Comments

• A pizza is not a "pie"....

It is if you're from the Northeast. The comedian Brian Regan does a bit about how his first night at college his roomate asked him if he wanted to go halves on a pie. He was like, "Uhhhh...sure. I'll have pumpkin?"

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    Minneapolis is equally weak in its pizzaness.
    I've yet to find a slice here that's truly

Mike, you need to hop the border and have some good ol' wisco 'zza. Steve's in RF. and this organic farm in Stockholm (south of Red Wing on the wisconsin side) cooks wood fired pizza to order for you while you wild out in their yard w/ your own booze, and hang out as long as you want. Urry tues. all year round, very . BEST i'VE HAD IN YEARS!! I'll give you directions to the farm, you'll never find and they don't advertise.

agreed. you can keep going a little further and hit up Ted's in Meno$ too. its pretty similar to Steve's. it's all about the sauce baby!

i'd appreciate directions to the secret pizza spot as well (if you don't mind) i'll even wear a blindfold as to not blow up your secret spot.

All right any TC strutters who want directions hit me on the PM's.

Also maybe I'll tell you where you can have ______ Norton from Husker DU cook you wild game of a truely delectible sort!!!!

• i had pizza in detroit when i was on tour at pizzapolpolis....some of the best pizza ever...besides vics in bradley beach, nj.

• North Beach sucks (neighborhood and pizza spot). I agree that joint should never have won any kind of award.

Zachary's in the E Bay is also mega over-rated. Frat-boy Cal alumni blowing up the spot all the time and not that fresh.

Arinell's is dope. Nizario's (Geary and Castro locations) is dope for late night.

And I still dig Escape from NY's pesto/garlic/potato slice.

I swear ANY weak-ass pizza spot can blow up as long as they stay open past bar closing time (see awful-ass Cable Car on Valencia among others).

• i had pizza in detroit when i was on tour at pizzapolpolis....some of the best pizza ever...besides vics in bradley beach, nj.

MMMMMmmmMMMmmMMMmmmmmmmm Vics......

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Zachary's in the E Bay is also mega over-rated. Frat-boy Cal alumni blowing up the spot all the time and not that fresh.

My problem with Zachary's is not so much mean quality but consistency. Sometimes when I've been there it was friggin delicious, but I've also had some pretty disappointing pizzas there as well, I guess you have to hit it on the right night. Patxi's in Palo Alto is pretty much the same thing.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    i had pizza in detroit when i was on tour at pizzapolpolis....some of the best pizza ever...besides vics in bradley beach, nj.

MMMMMmmmMMMmmMMMmmmmmmmm Vics......

cosign sometimes thats the only reason i visit the relatives out thurr

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    so this san francisco pizza chain called "north beach pizza" won 'best pizza' on some web survey and were giving out a free pie or something. my friend a chicago native who is forever bitching about how much pizza sucks here, straight up said "SF is a weak ass pie-town."

does our pizza really suck to non-bay area natives?

I'm from Australia, so when I was stayin' out in SF, I loved all the pizza... even Fat Slice on Haight... shit was very tasty...

Oh yeah, MS DAMN, I see u take a liking to my little pink ewok friend

peace.

• edubedub 715 Posts
    nah he doesn't have deep dish expectations. but you brought up nizario's and i do recall him saying once that he liked that so i got to throw that in his face.

zachary's is yummy though. i forgot about that place. little star i haven't checked out yet - i am reluctant to drop mad cake on some miniature child sized gourmet pie. but i guesss i should try. hasn't anyone here actually tried Little Star?

czech out the Littel Star ratings at SFsurvey.com.

Seems the only bad ratings are because of the unfriendly staff. I'm actually really wanting to try this place out.

That SFsurvey is my new time killer (after SS, of course)... made me go to Powell's for some chicken. Hadn't been to their new place at Fillmore - I'm afraid that place fell the fuck off... or Sat. night is not the time to order fried chicken take-out

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    i grew up on round table so i like that.

arinells is great. zacharys tastes like shit now.

giorgios on 3rd and clement is cool on tuesdays, i think, when they have some good deals.

goat hill in the potrero is nice on mondays when its all you can eat.

pasquales on 8th and irving is cool.

little joes on mission down the street from bravos on mission and geneva. i prefer ltl joes though.

and the pizza spot up here on geary and 19th is pretty good as well.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    if little star is that spot on divisadero then yeah its pretty good... i think the sauce was too wet and runny, the staff needs a good smack in the face, its quite white in there and not being with white people is a problem...

so, the price of the pizza, the bullshit staff, and the runny sauce makes me think this place is for hipsters who want to spend money on mediocre pizza.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    You're right most Pizza out here is shit. Blonde's is cool. Round Table is always good. Zachary's is highly over rated.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    pittsburgh has got some FIRE pizza spots

names....??
    marios, aiellos, vincents, veltres, mineos(probly the best), napoli all have top notch pizza

• pittsburgh has got some FIRE pizza spots

True, but it's also the ONLY food you can get in PGH.

i can't believe i'm even in this thread but i have to jump in and say, no, this is not true. i live here and pretty much only eat out (not a good habit i know)

but there are at least 3 other levels of good food in PGH besides pizza.

i think theMack ran down all the prime pizza spots, but i have this feeling you missed a couple?

is Zachary's in Berkeley the one a couple a doors down from a Half Price books that was moving in August? can't remember the street name. but i was there, it was aw-IGHT

• Blonde's is cool. Zachary's is highly over rated.

Blondie's pizza is total and utter shit. It tastes like cardboard!

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    You must be eating some good ass cardboard then.

• Minneapolis is equally weak in its pizzaness.

You don't like Luce's? Have you tried Galactic on Lyndale?

• Getting pizza in SF would be like getting a burrito in NYC

Say word.

Living in the Bay was like living in Pizza Hell. It really was that bad.

Particularly if you're used to having the real deal your whole life.

There's even that one spot up on Haight that's called "Escape From NY Pizza" or some bullshit like that.

Whatever.

• Getting pizza in SF would be like getting a burrito in NYC

Say word.
    Living in the Bay was like living in Pizza Hell.

That reminded of this one spot I used to go to, Pizza Inferno by Filmore (the part by J-Town). Great pizza and you can get some real good exotic flavors. I used to get a hooked-up at that spot a few years ago as well.

• I would trade SF pizza for this gawdawfull shite they have here in LA any day.

• I would trade SF pizza for this gawdawfull shite they have here in LA any day.

for good pizza in la you must head to the valley.

• and you can get some real good exotic flavors.

That was one of the problems I had with Bay Area Pizza - it seemed to me that a lot of spots were too hung up on fucking around with some fruity ass "exotic flavors" when they couldn't even get a damn cheese slice right.

That's another thing. No one seems to know what you're talking about when you ask them for "a slice".

"2 slices please."

"Excuse me?"

"2 plain slices please."

"????????"

"uh... make that 2 CHEESE slices, please."

"Oh, okay. Gotcha."

WTF??!! It was like that EVERYWHERE I went.

I'd seriously rather fuck with Gordo's than have Pizza in the Bay.

• autezautez 404 Posts
    there's some place on polk and post in SF across from the 25 cent peep shows that has real good pizza. probably the best ive had here. its open till like 5am and there's lots of transexuals round there to stimulate your appetite while youre waiting. cant compare to other areas cuz i havent really had pizza in any other states that i can remember.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    First of, I never had no great pizza in NYC. I probably didn't go to the right places but still, it's no pizza mecca to me.

second, North Beach Pizza IS the bomb, I don't care if it's Chicago style, Chicago did not invent pizza, Italy did, but it;s good shit and I love Italian style fire roasted pizza too like Amici's.

San Diego has some good cornmeal crust deep dish at Lefty's, three blocks from my house.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Fugg all this bullshit.

1) SF is a weak ass pizza cityn. I went to some random spot next to Grand Central Station in NYC - totally generic spot, dime a dozen joint. Got a plain slice and some garlic knots. Proper. Nothing fancy but just your basic slice. Shit was better than 99% of SF joints I've been to. I weep at this fact.

2) Zachary's is good in terms of a food product. But when I have a jonesin' for a basic slice, the only spot I'll even half entertain is Marcello's, across the street from the Castro Theater. I'd say that place is as good as a random NYC pizza joint. Very good crust, tasty sauce though it's better on the reheat than fresh out the oven because the reheats have a firmer crust. F'get that floppy slice wackness.

3) I used to think North Beach was ok but the fact that it won best pizza in SF just shows how spectacularly dump SF folk can be when it comes to pizza. Are these the same dumb asses who think A) Ebisu has the best sushi in the city or B) House of Nanking is killer? Whatever.

You must be eating some good ass cardboard then.

Dude, the only people who think Blondie's isn't some violation of FDA health codes are Berkeley freshmen and homeless dudes who can't afford to eat better. Unless you're one of them, you have no business suggesting that crap is remotely "good."

• FSan Diego has some good cornmeal crust deep dish at Lefty's, three blocks from my house.

oh shit! This placed called Vicollo's in SF has the bomb cornmeal crust. It's right next Citizen Cake which is pretty good as well.

• Chicago did not invent pizza, Italy did

That's up for debate actually. Some say it was the Italians, some say the Greeks.
    Some even say it was the Vikings.
    What is fairly certain (correct me if I'm wrong), is that the modern incarnation of "pizza" as the world knows it today, is actually a product of America.

FSan Diego has some good cornmeal crust deep dish at Lefty's, three blocks from my house.

oh shit! This placed called Vicollo's in SF has the bomb cornmeal crust. It's right next Citizen Cake which is pretty good as well.

Holla at my friend Jen who works at Citizen Cake a few nights a week. She's the half Korean/half white bartender. Visual artist who works with thread:

• You must be eating some good ass cardboard then.

Dude, the only people who think Blondie's isn't some violation of FDA health codes are Berkeley freshmen and homeless dudes who can't afford to eat better. Unless you're one of them, you have no business suggesting that crap is remotely "good."

I was trying to come up with a response to that post but summed it up perfectly. LOL