"SF is a weak ass pie-town"

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
so this san francisco pizza chain called "north beach pizza" won 'best pizza' on some web survey and were giving out a free pie or something. my friend a chicago native who is forever bitching about how much pizza sucks here, straight up said "SF is a weak ass pie-town." does our pizza really suck to non-bay area natives?

Comments

• Minneapolis is equally weak in its pizzaness.
    I've yet to find a slice here that's truly

• so this san francisco pizza chain called "north beach pizza" won 'best pizza' on some web survey and were giving out a free pie or something. my friend a chicago native who is forever bitching about how much pizza sucks here, straight up said "SF is a weak ass pie-town."

does our pizza really suck to non-bay area natives?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Getting pizza in SF would be like getting a burrito in NYC

• Or finding a good tenderloin in Phoenix.

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    Minneapolis is equally weak in its pizzaness.

Mike, you need to hop the border and have some good ol' wisco 'zza. Steve's in RF. and this organic farm in Stockholm (south of Red Wing on the wisconsin side) cooks wood fired pizza to order for you while you wild out in their yard w/ your own booze, and hang out as long as you want. Urry tues. all year round, very . BEST i'VE HAD IN YEARS!! I'll give you directions to the farm, you'll never find and they don't advertise.

• When I used to live out there I would hit Zachary's in the east or Mozzarella Di Bufala in Sf. These are the only two i ever tried that even came close to home. I think the folks that own Zachary's might even be from Chicago.

• edubedub 715 Posts
    I've heard good things about the pizza at Little Star.... been compared to Zachary's.

I just heard about it a few days ago, so I haven't tried it myself.

• One of the most overrated pizzas in the Bay Area has to be the Cheeseboard Pizza place on Shattuck Ave in Berkeley. They make a different kind of pizza everyday but they all taste the same and have a pretty soggy texture. In SF I've started ordering my pizza from Round Table. I can't hang with all the other shitty pizza places around my hood.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    pittsburgh has got some FIRE pizza spots

• When I used to live out there I would hit Zachary's in the east or Mozzarella Di Bufala in Sf. These are the only two i ever tried that even came close to home. I think the folks that own Zachary's might even be from Chicago.

Zachary's needs to open up a joint in San Francisco.

• well ms. damn, there's a problem here. see, north beach pizza isnt a typical chicago style pizza pie. zachary's in berkeley is probably as close as you would get and i still hear it doesnt quite compare.

ive heard stories from some of my "food-headz" about how such and such pizza joint in jersey has flour from italy flown out blah blah blah and how new haven is the only place in the country that can legally make coal fired pizza. chicago pie, new york slice, sf doesnt compare. but im not from no east coast town so im not mad at north beach or zante's or zachary's, hell nizarios or mystic pizza will do me just fine at 230am. just keep that frilly cali pizza kitchen thai chicken bullshit out my neck.

• does our pizza really suck to non-bay area natives?
    Yes.

• nah he doesn't have deep dish expectations. but you brought up nizario's and i do recall him saying once that he liked that so i got to throw that in his face.

zachary's is yummy though. i forgot about that place. little star i haven't checked out yet - i am reluctant to drop mad cake on some miniature child sized gourmet pie. but i guesss i should try. hasn't anyone here actually tried Little Star?

• I like Arinell's on Valencia near 16th.

SIDEBAR: I now work at 101 California and man, is there a dearth of decent lunch spots. There's a Pho Hoa opening at Embarcadero 3 something this month, so maybe that'll help. Oh, and Burger Factory kills it, but I can't really eat burgers every day.

Suggestions welcome.

• DJAckDJAck 255 Posts
    Minneapolis is equally weak in its pizzaness.

Mike, you need to hop the border and have some good ol' wisco 'zza. Steve's in RF. and this organic farm in Stockholm (south of Red Wing on the wisconsin side) cooks wood fired pizza to order for you while you wild out in their yard w/ your own booze, and hang out as long as you want. Urry tues. all year round, very . BEST i'VE HAD IN YEARS!! I'll give you directions to the farm, you'll never find and they don't advertise.

agreed. you can keep going a little further and hit up Ted's in Meno$ too. its pretty similar to Steve's. it's all about the sauce baby!

i'd appreciate directions to the secret pizza spot as well (if you don't mind) i'll even wear a blindfold as to not blow up your secret spot.

• never tried little star. but yea, nizario's is alright and usually im real drunk when i stumble in the door so the pizza is always real tasty. have you tried zante's? they got indian pizza. that's different.

cheeseboard/arrizmendi pizza is alright by me. plus its vegetablarian and the cheese and tapenade are delicious.

• yeah, I never found good pizza in frisco...its like going to a Chinese Restaurant for Margaritas.

This is really the only slice I fuck with in the Bay. I fuck with Zachary's but that to me is pizza like product. Hella good but it's not gonna fill my jones (pause) for a slice.

• pittsburgh has got some FIRE pizza spots

True, but it's also the ONLY food you can get in PGH.

yeah but you can get tanked on tasty tasty yueng-lings, so any food you find will taste ok.

SIDEBAR: I now work at 101 California and man, is there a dearth of decent lunch spots. There's a Pho Hoa opening at Embarcadero 3 something this month, so maybe that'll help. Oh, and Burger Factory kills it, but I can't really eat burgers every day.

Suggestions welcome.

gulp. doesnt my old lady work there too?

anyways, dude, youre right there by chinatown. get your cha m cha at lotus garden. there's the wonton spot right there on kearny like right across the st. from portsmouth square.

best buns in town are up on powell near broadway.

naan n curry right behind you somewhere's.

there's a french quarter with some fine dining in one of them alleys.

isnt chef gia's right there? werent you digging that joint?

• There's a Pho Hoa opening at Embarcadero 3 something this month

this is the best news i've heard today, i am going to give those fools so much business

• ryanryan 334 Posts
    little star has okay slices and pretty good stuffed pizza. the stuffed pizza is 3/4 the size of zachary's pizza with a delicious crust. its the best pizza I've had in the bay area. but i still can't find a descent slice.

• There's a Pho Hoa opening at Embarcadero 3 something this month

this is the best news i've heard today, i am going to give those fools so much business

You work near me, Aww Dang? Squalor!

And Shiguichimoto: C-Town is a ways from where I am. Embarcadero Station, not Montgomery. But yeah, Chef Gia's all day.

• ryanryan 334 Posts
    Chef Gia's all day.

steve is the man. i eat the string bean chicken at least 2x a week.

• oh. way over there. say hi to frank chu for me.

• A pizza is not a "pie"....

Suggestions welcome.

This isn't actually near you, but best lunch I've eaten in SF is at Julie's (8th and Townsend). It's really small and neat Asian buffet with pay-what-you-eat-pricing... It's a kind of mix of everything from Sushi to Noodle salads - sounds scary but it's a heaven. Small place with dedication to fresh ingredients and quality.

names....??

that is the GOT damn truth. after a week in pgh i felt like Pizza The Hut.

except for greek. mad greek. i saw this place that called itself the "greek mcdonalds" hand painted on the storefront.