Austin Record Show report

djcoolhandsdjcoolhands 548 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
started the show with $300, ended it with $600. gotta love selling more than you buy.
i went cheap on the 45s, most were $2 to $3 and are doubles.

austin gots some heat.

let's see some other finds

Comments

• was i the only one who went? no.

a*i, no disco gorilla? nico gomez?

na***n, no $3 tortilla factory?

• All I got to say is,I drank too much.But it was real fun.Good seeing everyone.Hotel was DEFINITELY in effect mode.Thanks to all that sold,traded, and bought.

• Damn, after seeing coolhands finds, perhaps someone else is gonna have to to cover the storefront next year!

That Ray Johnson got some crazy organ licks.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

What's the King lp with the heart on the cover?

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    fuck it, I'll blow my 1000 post to extoll the righteousness of the show.

First off, seeing folks was the best part of the show, strutters and otherwise, ya'll know who you are.
    Got my dub shopping done in one spot from one of the coolest dudes in the planet... thanks again.
    Met old friends and made new ones. Fantastic time.

Got enough dope 45's to kill a horse, scratched off mad wants... Gloria Walker, Esther Williams, Louis Chachere, Eddie Bo, Untouchable Machine Shop, Nu-Sound, obscure heaters, on and on and on. Enough dub to last 'til the next show.
    Got some killer deals... Eddie Gale, Politicians, Victim of a Joke, Tortilla Factory, Little Joe and the Latinaires, Herb Geller, Pookah, tons of 12's.
    Scoured the place before the general public got there lattes...

Took a bunch of pictures, I will post these up later.

1000 posts! woah

Where's the rest of ya'll???

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

Did you cut the title (lower left hand side) out of that pic on purpose? A couple killers on there.

• selling was fun, made more sense to do that this time. still got to buy/trade nice things. dreamscape lp was the standout. alot of buyers would stop over by our table and show us what they got. that was prolly the highlight of the show. that and the metal 7" dealer who is basically giving me a copy of an insane modern 45.

definitely want to get back there for buying next time.

very nice to meet all of the strutters (i'm sure i met some lurkers as well)! hotel sessions were facemelting. food was delicious and cheap. . $2.50 breakfast at the litte mexi-dome connected to my econolodge was hot.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    i had a blast. but man it was exhausting. i need to start applying chris's method of leaving the show mid-day to catch a power nap.

better selling than buying but managed to splurge on a few and trade on a bunch of others. a few steals but no legendary tales of "did you hear that .... picked up ...... for only ..... $$$".

a great time was had by all at the show, swimming in margaritas, listening part at the hotel room- wish i had my camera on me for some blackmail photos of the new orleans squad.

here's some pics of a few things i found:

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

Congratulations, Ari! I know you've been after that one.

Now, plaese report to

• "did you hear that .... picked up ...... for only ..... $$$".

andy picked up the blenders ltd on grayslak for $200.

shinya hosomi of "afro juice" picked up arthur monday "what goes around" on stage music for $750.

how good is the family circle lp? anything on it i'd flip over?? boogie??

• Congratulations, Ari! I know you've been after that one.

Now, plaese report to

hell yeah. do it mang... and i'll sort you out with real headz action in about 2 weeks.

btw- played that afro 45 out yesterday.... puts the "mental" back in instrumental.

• aliet...

how is that mondiophone side?...havent heard one of those I havent liked.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Ooof! I forgot, Ari either needs help recording to his computer, OR the record can be sent to me and I'll handle it.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    hey drew.... took a long time didn't it. listened to it this morning and it Sounded real nice- no boogie for you T*M, strictly sweet group harmony soul ca. '74. very nice stuff.

would love to join the REALHEADZ posts but still no capacity for recording sound... hell, i don't even have a stereo hooked up yet- today i can finally unpack my boxes in a home (not a hotel).

Hookup- Africadelic is Manu Dibango. Sounded cool when listening at Lotusland's hotel, really haven't sat down with it yet. Not fully my sound (library-esque) but I dig it nonetheless and glad to have it around.

T*M- you'll get tired of that african 45 and eventually trade it to me.
    Good luck with your move!!!!!

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    Ooof! I forgot, Ari either needs help recording to his computer, OR the record can be sent to me and I'll handle it.

this may be a case of waiting two years to find one and hear it.... just like i did.

• real good funky rock on Look, subsidiary of King

i'd been after it for awhile.

• seeing folks was the best part of the show, strutters and otherwise, ya'll know who you are. Met old friends and made new ones. Fantastic time.

• Did you cut the title (lower left hand side) out of that pic on purpose? A couple killers on there.

yes.

i'm going to track that one... brakes.

i'll post a sound clip when i get back from colorado.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Did you cut the title (lower left hand side) out of that pic on purpose? A couple killers on there.

yes.

i'm going to track that one... brakes.

i'll post a sound clip when i get back from colorado.

DOPE!!

And when you'll be back, can you scan that 45, PLEASE!...?

The Back Beat

Please

All I found is

Please.

B.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts

but where are the monkey nuggetts ??

gulf coast collectors are fanny !!

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    I wish I could have stopped by for trades. I didn't because I knew that if I had stopped by I would have unloaded too much cash on records that would be available. I ended up skipping the convention all together this year in an effort to save money to buy my "new" car. This was my weekend find though...a 1956 oval window bug with 67K original miles.

• hobo_dhobo_d 331 Posts
    I wish I could have stopped by for trades. I didn't because I knew that if I had stopped by I would have unloaded too much cash on records that would be available. I ended up skipping the convention all together this year in an effort to save money to buy my "new" car. This was my weekend find though...a 1956 oval window bug with 67K original miles.

ooooohhhhh

thats a nice bug ..seriously

congrats

btw where you'd get yr avatar?

this was my first record convention so it was extremely overwhelming to me

bought a good grip of 45s (alot of the 5 dollar sort that sound like they cd go for more) from the lotusland table..(MUCH THANKS)

special thanks to nathan and djcoolhands for kickin it with me for a short bit fri. night and linking me to some serious wax

i dont have a working camera so i will upload audio for the 45s and an lp cut or two that i thought were the cream of the crop for me

CLICK HERE

heres some commentary on them as well

charles mccoy - hey girl
    (great upbeat instrumental soul tune)

dellie hoskie & their natural selves - the clown
    (upbeat funky & soulful)

donovan - get your bearings
    (surprise shocker to me, i wd have never checked out this album if a friend of mine had not played it for me there, this is a superb rare groove song, MUCH recommendation)

hi-fi - bulldog
    (FAVORITE buy ... promotes that feel good in yr soul feeling)

lyn collins - think (about it)
    (need i say anything?)

marvin l sims - talkin bout soul
    (fast paced upbeat raw funk track with hints of james all over it)

one g plus three - summertime
    (one of the best versions of this classic tune)

rashaan roland kirk - ain't no sunshine
    (beatiful inst verision of this CLASSIC song originally wrote by Bill Withers)

the chevelles - the gallop
    (can anyone say DEEP, HEAVY, RAW funk, HOT SHIT INDEED)

the chubukos - house of rising funk
    (HOT DAMN this shit is just downright steamy ass funk)

the soul searchers - we the people (inst)
    (ULTIMATE B BOY TRACK, chockfull of breaks for killin the dancefloor)

tony sherman - slippin into darkness
    (ANOTHER favorite of the weekend (thanks nathan), serious SMOOTH GROOVER)

respect,
    patrick

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts

(surprise shocker to me, i wd have never checked out this album if a friend of mine had not played it for me there, this is a superb rare groove song, MUCH recommendation)

Donovan should not be listened to for "rare groove". shit is much realer than that homie

• nrichnrich 932 Posts

• hobo_dhobo_d 331 Posts

Donovan should not be listened to for "rare groove". shit is much realer than that homie

agreed, just wasnt sure what to classify it as (its a new sound for me to be buying) done listened to that track at least 15-20 times so far

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    thats good man. its always great to branch out in tastes of music

• the real photo heat.....

get those pics to me pronto

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    that's just 16 of 120
    yahms?

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    Glad my trunk was up on the car shot- i don't want anybody stalking me by license plate, especially when i got 4 boxes in the trunk.

nice shots!!

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts

ooooohhhhh

thats a nice bug ..seriously

congrats

btw where you'd get yr avatar?

Thanks. I can't wait for the car to finally show up in Austin, it is in Indiana right now.

I got my avatar from the "randompics" community on Livejournal.com. It was from something called "Patrick Duffy Special" by a guy named prguitarman. That guy always posts funny pictures.

Here are the links to all of that.

http://www.livejournal.com/userinfo.bml?user=randompics
    http://www.livejournal.com/community/randompics/1367807.html#cutid1