Options

11/2/2010 (Lamprey Eel is toast)

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    Incidentally...

^This article doesn't quote a single government source.

^This one does. The emphasis in the following quote is mine.

[Junior minister Bridget Prentice] said Sharia councils would still have no jurisdiction in England, and rulings by religious authorities would have no legal force.

But she added: "If, in a family dispute dealing with money or children, the parties to a judgement in Sharia council wish to have this recognised by English authorities, they are at liberty to draft a consent order embodying the terms of the agreement and submit it to an English court. This allows English judges to scrutinise it to ensure that it complies with English legal tenets."

In other words, UK law trumps the decision of a sharia council. As if there were any other possibility.

^For those who don't know, The Daily Mail is like the British print version of Fox News. As per the article in The Times, this article doesn't quote a single government source either, and under-emphasises (deliberately, one must assume) the fact that any rulings made by this "network of courts" have to be ratified by the county courts or the High Court in order to be legally binding.

^This article is little more than scare-mongering.

So, one final time for emphasis; there are no sharia "courts" in the UK, and sharia law has no jurisdiction in the UK. Tell your friends.

The bottom line is that most sane and rational people in the U.S. and UK would not support the implementation of Sharia law on any level, yet some on our lunatic fringe left apparently do.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Hate to feed the troll but this seeme the approprite place to link to 'What the fuck has Obama done so far dot com'

http://whatthefuckhasobamadonesofar.com/

• DocMcCoy said:
    So, one final time for emphasis; there are no sharia "courts" in the UK, and sharia law has no jurisdiction in the UK. Tell your friends.

I can't really believe this is even being debated as if it were seriously taking place.

• Rockadelic said:
    yet some on our lunatic fringe left apparently do.

what are you even talking about?

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Rockadelic said:

Pay attention....

LaserWolf said:
    Rockadelic said:

Do you support the practice of Sharia Law in the U.S.??

Absolutely.

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    There's a quite intelligent conversion about Sharia Law in the UK over at Ta-Nehisi Coates's page at the Atlantic's site:

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2010/11/talk-to-me-like-im-stupid-sharia-law-in-the-uk/65558/

From my quick read of the discussion, it seems that both parties in a legal issue would have to agree to go before a Sharia court, and that both parties would accept the decision as legally binding. Sounds very similar to when people go on Judge Judy or the People's Court.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Seriously why the fuck are you people even speaking about sharia law? Talk about smokescreens.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    And also this Lamprey fuck is just sitting back laughing at you all... You should have never taken the bait. You had things you wanted to discuss you should have - on principle - started another thread and let this plea for attention to wither and die.

Cosmo said:
    Seriously why the fuck are you people even speaking about sharia law? Talk about smokescreens.

Mr. Laserwolf brought up the topic in this thread.....and claims to support it....and that's why it's being discussed.

Is that really a step below the original premise of this high quality thread??

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    why did i click on this ignored lamrey eel thread
    he has achieved as much as a teapartier can hope to achieve as a ''public debate''
    the conversation always ends with dont you know that if A doesnt happen we will have whatever scary muslim consequence B
    and I for one am against that and want to protect my freedoms...rinse repeat

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    Well, yeah, Rock. But honestly, those that do are taken about as seriously by the mainstream as their counterparts on the Islamist lunatic fringe, and are about as influential.

Anyone who'd actually read any of those articles, as opposed to just the headlines, would have soon realised that all this talk of sharia law being introduced, implemented or imposed anywhere in the UK is total bullshit. That kind of journalism used to be the sole preserve of the tabloids - in the UK, at any rate. Now that it's all about clicks, unique page views and all that shit, the so-called quality broadsheets are buying into that method where the eye-catching headline says one thing, yet upon closer inspection, the story itself says the opposite, or something completely different.

I live in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets, more specifically Whitechapel. Tower Hamlets is home to the largest Muslim community not just in the UK, but the whole of Europe. About a fifteen-minute walk from my front door is the East London Mosque, which has close connections with Islamist outfits like IFE (Islamic Forum Europe) and Jamaat-e-Islami, the main Islamist/Muslim nationalist party in Pakistan, as well as with out-and-out headbangers like Hizb-ut-Tahrir and al-Mujahiroun. If there was any place in the UK where you'd expect there to be an attempt to establish sharia law by example in defiance of UK law, it'd be here. And I can assure you, there are no instances of sharia cops - because how else are you going to enforce a law, if not by common consent? - threatening to stone women who refuse to wear the veil, even if there might be plenty of candidates to do the stoning.

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Rockadelic said:

Pay attention....

LaserWolf said:
    Rockadelic said:

Absolutely.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony

• Rockadelic said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Rockadelic said:

Pay attention....

to this thread? no such luck.

LaserWolf said:
    Rockadelic said:

Absolutely.

I don't know or care what the fuck Dan is talking about either. This is all capital-B BULLSHIT designed to distract you both from real and pressing issues.

DocMcCoy said:
    Well, yeah, Rock. But honestly, those that do are taken about as seriously by the mainstream as their counterparts on the Islamist lunatic fringe, and are about as influential.

I agree.

As are the lunatics on the right who fear Sharia law will surpplant your/our current justice system.

b/w

http://www.onelawforall.org.uk/

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Rockadelic said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Rockadelic said:

Pay attention....

LaserWolf said:
    Rockadelic said:

Absolutely.

I don't know or care what the fuck Dan is talking about either. This is all capital-B BULLSHIT designed to distract you both from real and pressing issues.

I'm hardly distracted......it's just good to point out that for every right wing nut that this site likes to trash that there is an equal and opposite nut that needs to be trashed as well.

Nothing could ever distract me enough to align myself with either of these groups.

Believe that.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts

We already have one law for all if you're English or Welsh, another if you happen to live in Northern Ireland, and yet another if you're Scottish. We seem to have done OK for the last 900 years or so without a single unified judicial system, so unless we start to edge towards a situation where there's a genuine threat of an Islamic revolution in this country, and whereby the introduction of sharia law would become a very real possibility (amongst many other things), then I'm content to treat One Law For All as yet another single-issue campaign group, and nothing more.

DocMcCoy said:

We already have one law for all if you're English or Welsh, another if you happen to live in Northern Ireland, and yet another if you're Scottish. We seem to have done OK for the last 900 years or so without a single unified judicial system, so unless we start to edge towards a situation where there's a genuine threat of an Islamic revolution in this country, and whereby the introduction of sharia law would become a very real possibility (amongst many other things), then I'm content to treat One Law For All as yet another single-issue campaign group, and nothing more.

Obviously we also have state laws that differ from state to state.

What I would be opposed to is two separate sets of laws in the same jurisdiction that would be applied based on your religious beliefs.

We don't extend that right to any religious group here in the U.S. including the Orthodox Jews you mentioned earlier in the thread.

I'm not suggesting it is currently or could happen in the future, just that I would be opposed to it on principle.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Rockadelic said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Rockadelic said:

Pay attention....

LaserWolf said:
    Rockadelic said:

Absolutely.

I'm hardly distracted......it's just good to point out that for every right wing nut that this site likes to trash that there is an equal and opposite nut that needs to be trashed as well.

Nothing could ever distract me enough to align myself with either of these groups.

Believe that.

C'mon Rich this is utter bullshit. Lefties have lots of interesting ideas, instituting sharia is hardly one of them. On the other hand, a candidate running for Senate in this country feels totally okay with questioning the hallowed concept of church and state. This person is part of a large group of individuals who claimthat we are a Christian nation. I fear them far more than Al Qaeda, especially as a Jew. Believe that.

• First, this election has absolutely nothing to do with sharia law and everything to do with smaller government and lower taxes. If you think its about some kind of foreigners fear mongering, that's a pretty good indication of why you are losing fifty seats today.
    Second, I think the real danger to the American justice system (and the common law system in general) is not some kind of sharia court operating concurrently under some recognition of arbitration awards (which if you just read the Convention on the Recognition and Enforcement of Foreign Arbitral Awards you will see is just not even remotely related). The real issue is the change to the "reasonableness standard" to reflect religious, economic, racial, factors. Then, it no longer is a question of what would a reasonable person do under similar circumstances, but what would a reasonable muslim do? Or what would a reasonable high-school drop out do? Or reasonable African American?

Rockadelic said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Rockadelic said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Rockadelic said:

Pay attention....

LaserWolf said:
    Rockadelic said:

Absolutely.

Believe that.

C'mon Rich this is utter bullshit. Lefties have lots of interesting ideas, instituting sharia is hardly one of them. On the other hand, a candidate running for Senate in this country feels totally okay with questioning the hallowed concept of church and state. This person is part of a large group of individuals who claimthat we are a Christian nation. I fear them far more than Al Qaeda, especially as a Jew. Believe that.

The only "utter bullshit" I've seen in this thread is "Obama's Katrina" and "I support Sharia Law".

Pointing either/both out as utter bullshit is sanity from where I sit.

And aligning myself with either of these would be insanity.

• Options
    Rockadelic said:
    The only "utter bullshit" I've seen in this thread is "Obama's Katrina" and "I support Sharia Law".

Regarding the former, Rock, it is called "metaphor." When did you become such a pedantic literlist anyway? Pointing out the former as "utter bullshit" isn't sanity, Rock, it is just silly (and not "sage", for that matter.)

That sanctimony and feigned outrage would erupt like a weak burp over my use of this metaphor from a (partial) crowd here that (for example) has no problem celebrating the death of a man who drives a "segway" over a cliff or demeaning conservative women legislative candidates and pundits as "bitches", "cunts" and "whores" (with liberal "comedians", male and female, vocally wishing for such women to be beaten and raped) comes as no surprise at all.

I couldn't give two cum squirts if such use of metaphor "offends" that type of jerk. What matters to me here is that Obama's congressional numeric majority (and agenda) is about to be repudiated in no uncertain terms by the American electorate and for that I couldn't be happier.

• It's probably time that you find the door, Leech.

• Options
    Cosmo said:
    And also this Lamprey fuck is just sitting back laughing at you all... You should have never taken the bait. You had things you wanted to discuss you should have - on principle - started another thread and let this plea for attention to wither and die.

Uh huh. Sure thing, Chuckles (sorry Moe, I couldn't resist.) Go ahead and hide your head in the sand (or put your fingers in your ears and go "lah lah lah lah lah" as loud as you can) and pretend that it is not happening... that your precious president Obama is not getting crushed ("metaphorically", of course) like the cockroach that he is.

Two years ago, a thread about Obama's electoral victory goes on for pages and pages with near orgasmic glee and is considered to be of great importance. Now, two years later, another significant electoral event is taking place and a thread about that is written off as a "plea for attention" ("nothing to see here with this election folks, move along.")

Get stuffed and learn how to speak for yourself exclusively.

lamprey eel said:
    Rockadelic said:

Regarding the former, Rock, it is called "metaphor." When did you become such a pedantic literlist anyway? Pointing out the former as "utter bullshit" isn't sanity, Rock, it is just silly (and not "sage", for that matter.)

That sanctimony and feigned outrage would erupt like a weak burp over my use of this metaphor from a (partial) crowd here that (for example) has no problem celebrating the death of a man who drives a "segway" over a cliff or demeaning conservative women legislative candidates and pundits as "bitches", "cunts" and "whores" (with liberal "comedians", male and female, vocally wishing for such women to be beaten and raped) comes as no surprise at all.

I couldn't give two cum squirts if such use of metaphor "offends" that type of jerk. What matters to me here is that Obama's congressional numeric majority (and agenda) is about to be repudiated in no uncertain terms by the American electorate and for that I couldn't be happier.

Metaphors have to make sense.....as Rey pointed out, Waterloo might have been a good metaphor, Katrina is utter bullshit.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    It's probably time that you find the door, Leech.
    Seriously. WTF is the ban button for, if not for screaming fucktards like lamprey.

• he's positively rabid.

• Options
    Rockadelic said:

Sorry, but this just is not the case in the US right now. We have many, many more nuts on the right than on the left these days.

BobDesperado said:
    Rockadelic said:

Sorry, but this just is not the case in the US right now. We have many, many more nuts on the right than on the left these days.

I'm talking about this site.....

Where the Lizard People Conspiracy theorists out number the Right wingnuts and I'm considered a "Conservative Republican".

• Rockadelic said:
    BobDesperado said:
    Rockadelic said:

Where the Lizard People Conspiracy theorists out number the Right wingnuts and I'm considered a "Conservative Republican".

Are you suggesting that the "lizard enthusiasts" are part of the left?

funky16corners said:
    Rockadelic said:
    BobDesperado said:
    Rockadelic said:

Are you suggesting that the "lizard enthusiasts" are part of the left?

Not at all...just that they are more tolerated than the "Right" here at SS.