F**k Arizona!

Comments

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    My dad and grandmother constantly go off on their "I don't mean to be a bigot, but Mexicans in California are sucking social services dry and a hard working white folks like us take it in the ass" bullshit. It's embarassing as hell when I visit with them in a public place and one of them has pipe up with that crap. Same deal with "Obama is going to make this country Communist". Speak not on what you fucking know not.

I would punch yo grandma in the face straight up!!!

JK haha!!

• I knew you would chime in.

I knew you wouldn't answer a very simple question.

Should the U.S. have immigration laws??

Yes or No

And if yes, how should they properly enforce them?

And fusk you and your white power comment.

You don't think what you wrote, which is in response to my post with "PROPERLY ENFORCE THEM" implies that anyone walking around who looks immigranty needs to provide proof of citizenship comes off, at least in part as a defense?

And, aside from your flippancy, how is immigration reform a "simple" question?

Maybe because you were born with your American citizenship "illegal" immigration is a no brainer and the US is yours by birthright but for those of us who have seen the struggle and fight to become a US citizen firsthand in thier families and loved ones it's a little more complicated.

I love America most than most rednecks. I love america because my father, my family and others around me had to work their ass off in fear and pain to get that little blue book so that i could be born with that same privilege. Should I, my brown son and daughter, or my father who worked in the fields and did things the right way to become a US citizen have to carry around birth certificates to prove our right to be here? Is that what you are implying by enforcement? And i apologize if i can't keep a real level head about this becasue, well, it effects people who look like me. My son. My dad. Not you fam. Not your family.

Even though we are all immigrants here.

Here's an interesting little factoid: My illegal immigrant cousin paid taxes for years on a stolen social security number becasue it is still widely believed in the migrant community that doing so will give you a better case if you face deportation. That makes my illegal cousin and those with the same mindset more american than exxon/mobile in my book.

So, I'll play the game and answer your "simple" questions:

immigration Law: Yes

enforce them?: Like any other law, according to peoples civil rights under the us constitution - not like nazi germany.

I thought this probably would go without saying. America is not a country founded on race, it's one founded on immigration.

RONALD MUTHERFUCKING REAGAN granted the Amnesty in the 80's becasue of pressure he was getting from his big agricultural buddies in California so they could have exploitable cheap labor. Labor laws are not enforced in the US precisely because its the THREAT of being depoted that keeps illegals in a constant state of subpar working conditions with no way to combat or voice them. That Amnesty got us to this point where we are now, so basically:

Blame reagan.

And i sincerely apologize if i came off as implying you were on some white power tip, but it's becoming my kneejerk response to right wing immigration talks and i need to check myself.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    "Obama is going to make this country Communist".

"Hey Dad, you didn't have a problem with the previous 8 years of Stalinism? What gives?"

• Oh and i forgot many off you may not know they are preemptively enforcing this they are so sure it's going to pass:

yes, that just happened.

Also, on a more personal note - after driving through the US constantly over the past ten years on tour, i have been pulled over most times in (drumroll) Arizona and Texas. I know my rights so i fuck with them every time i got stopped at a immigration checkpoint and they try to search our clean car.

The conversation usually goes like this:

me: What did i do again?

them: Well we're about to find out now aren't we!

profiling has been in effect for years, they just want to make it legal.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    someone, pls to post the "shameful sheeet" graemlin...

And I do think you have to be pretty sick and bigoted to not have a problem with this law. I have no problem with America deciding who can and cannot come here, and then enforcing that. But making people carry their papers around because they might be stopped at any time, w/o probable cause? Bullshit.

The dude I saw on tv was totally stumped as to what would tip off a cop if not race. I believe his answer was clothes and shoes. GTFOHWTBS

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

I'm not an immigrant. I was born and raised here--this is MY country.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

profiling has been in effect for years, they just want to make it legal.

they can't stop it. it's as sure as the turnin of the earth. mexicans will find a way to be here.

• from what i can tell even a bunch of conservative commentators think this law overreaches and is bound to produce endless civil rights abuses.

the governor of the state still has to sign off on this right?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    My illegal immigrant cousin paid taxes for years

The idea that illegals don't pay taxes is complete and other nonsense.

I'm not an immigrant. I was born and raised here--this is MY country.

BAN unless he posts his birth certificate to prove it.

• My illegal immigrant cousin paid taxes for years

illegals pay sales tax but not income tax.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I knew you would chime in.

I knew you wouldn't answer a very simple question.

Should the U.S. have immigration laws??

Yes or No

And if yes, how should they properly enforce them?

And fusk you and your white power comment.

You don't think what you wrote, which is in response to my post with "PROPERLY ENFORCE THEM" implies that anyone walking around who looks immigranty needs to provide proof of citizenship comes off, at least in part as a defense?

No....not even a little bit.

My question was meant to find out if you thought there should even be immigration laws.

And if yes, how would YOU enforce them.

It's easy to sit back and say how something shouldn't be done, it's a little harder to come up with real solutions.

As far as you getting profiled, I understand better than most.

See that fugly picture in my avatar, that's really me.

Think I get pulled over/profiled much??

And as far as paying taxes to fake SS #'s that is some shameful shit that politicians on both sides of the aisle see as one way to prolong the Ponzi scheme.

I'm a big proponent of legal immigration....that's how the majority of Americans got here....and to not recognize that illegal immigration comes with BOTH positives and negatives for our country is fairly ignorant.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    That is not correct FMF

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    From what I'm reading here, it looks as if Arizona is trying to introduce something like the UK's hated Sus law, which was abolished in the early 80s following a prolonged period of civil unrest.

• That is not correct FMF

correct me then...are income taxes typically deducted from pay to illegals?

That is not correct FMF

correct me then...

Those who use fake SS cards have taxes taken out by their employers.

Those who are hired illegally, paid under the table, etc. do not.

I don't think anyone has accurate data as to what percentage of each is happening.

Edit: Rich beat me to it. It's a lot more prevalent than you'd think.

A good friend's mother, who helped me out a lot when I first moved here, had several SSN's. She wasn't even remotely alone in that.

• i missed that but i guess that makes complete sense and i suppose there are no accurate figures on what proportion this group comprises?

I don't think anyone has accurate data as to what percentage of each is happening.

Yeah, I mean you can't really measure this just by the nature of it.

But I am sure it is a lot more prevalent than anti-illegal-immigration folks would like to believe. There's a lot more drain of tax dollars from rich folks who know how to hide and move their money than from the kitchen staff at your favorite restaurant.

That's not true in all case. Plenty have fake SS # and pay taxes from their jobs. In fact, I'm will to bet that some even pay more tax than some rich people who are able to avoid paying taxes through loopholes and hiding their money in tax shelters.

And yes, they pay state taxes as well.

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    SORRY, sorry, late to the party......

I was being detained for citizenship status and an ID check.

I love AZ, but DAMN. It's things like this that make us look like idiots to the rest of the country. I read azcentral.com on a daily basis. Go look at some of the comments. Man, we have some sorry people here. Anytime someone has a Hispanic last name and commits a crime, they are automatically illegal immigrants in the court of public opinion.

How do I feel about this? Obviously, besides the fact that racial profiling would now be pretty much legal and anywhere I went I myself, my pops, and my girl (since pops and my girl are definitely brown, I'm debatable) could be stopped for any reason and ID checked. Garbage. The problem is this. There's no easy answer to the issue of immigration. Do you know how long it takes to even get
    LEGAL RESIDENCY here? My pops had a friend who applied for residency, not even citizenship, residency for himself and his family. His kids were all minors at the time. He just now got his residency...it only took him 10 YEARS to get it. TEN YEARS. Him, his wife, and youngest son got it. His 2 other sons had turned 18 by the time it took him to get it. He's not even Mexican, he's Dominican.

A few things stood out to me in some of the posts on here:

"For the first time, all law enforcement officers in the state will be enlisted to hunt down undocumented people, which will clearly distract them from going after truly violent criminals, and will focus them on mostly harmless families whose work supports the economy and who contribute to their communities. And do you think undocumented parents will now go to the police if their daughter is raped or their family becomes a victim of violent crime? "

That's already been going on. People were scared to go to work and school after the first bill passed. Immigrants are already scared to call 5-0. Oh, and targeting brown people is what MCSO and Arpaio do best. They don't go after ANY violent criminals. That's what local cops do. The most hysterical part of that is 80% of the huge drop houses they find out here are found by the local police, NOT MCSO.

"Maybe because you were born with your American citizenship "illegal" immigration is a no brainer and the US is yours by birthright but for those of us who have seen the struggle and fight to become a US citizen firsthand in thier families and loved ones it's a little more complicated."

Man, this is more true than most cats will EVER know. I think I told the story of my aunt on here before. My "aunt" is 70 years old or so. She was raised along with my father even though they aren't blood relatives. She cannot live in the United States with us to take care of here. We even had someone that worked for National Security that told us just to move her up here and nobody would find out. She doesn't go out, she doesn't drive, she just chills all day with her little teacup poodle and doesn't bother anyone. It would be so much easier to just move her here but the risks of getting caught almost outweigh the reward. Also, my pops just got his citizenship 3 years ago. It only took him 30 years to get it.

"Not like it could happen magically, but imagine if every Latino, legal, illegal or whatever, left AZ tomorrow. Can you imagine how fast the States would collapse?"

Didn't someone do a movie about this?

"and i guess this makes it illegal to stand outside of Home Depot while Mexican, too?"

Oh, my friend, you didn't know? This is already a law in some cities and municipalities!

"There is no point in this getting further than a 2 page thread. There shouldn't be 1 person on here that doesn't realise how wrong it is to be able to be pulled over for being brown."

I agree, however, there's a lot more at stake here.

Oh, here's an anecdote to chew on....

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2010/04/22/20100422arizona-immigration-law-questions.html

Q: The law creates a charge of "willful failure to complete or carry an alien-registration document" for illegal immigrants. Do I need to have my ID card on me at all times in case an officer suspects I'm in the country illegally?

Kobach: This law does not require a U.S. citizen to carry any documentation. It's a crime under federal law to falsely assert U.S. citizenship. If the person merely asserts that he is a U.S. citizen, that's good enough. The false assertion of U.S. citizenship is a crime that carries a heavy penalty in federal law.

Chin: If the person was born in Mexico and doesn't have satisfactory identification, I would think there is probable cause to arrest that person for violation of this section: There is evidence they are not a U.S. citizen (foreign birth), they do not have any evidence they are authorized to live in the United States. . . . I would say the answer is: If you look Mexican or Hispanic or Asian or Black, then you should carry ID because there's already some evidence that you could fall into this category.

That's all I have for right now. The governor is in a political no-win in AZ. I just hope she does what is RIGHT.

Does anybody else hate the term "Illegals". Call the anti PC police but I prefer "undocumented". It's a less dehumanizing term.

Shit, just the way many American's say the word "Mexican" has negative enough connotations.

That's not true in all case. Plenty have fake SS # and pay taxes from their jobs. In fact, I'm will to bet that some even pay more tax than some rich people who are able to avoid paying taxes through loopholes and hiding their money in tax shelters.

So you don't believe the statistics that state the top 20% of wage earners pay 60+% of all the federal taxes collected??

• Edit: Rich beat me to it. It's a lot more prevalent than you'd think.

A good friend's mother, who helped me out a lot when I first moved here, had several SSN's. She wasn't even remotely alone in that.

Right, like i said - and this i purely speculation based on my personal experience - but i believe a fairly large number of working illegals pay state and federal taxes every year on random social security numbers because they believe it will help bolster their immigration case when they get caught.

Roc, to restate, I am PRO legal immigration. I believe illegal immigration has been propagated not because these people want to or would rather be illegal, but becasue them being illegal is more beneficial for their employers. I am against illegal immigration becasue it ultimately hurts and exploits latinos, as was Cesar Chavez and many other latin leaders.

Everyone from the US Corporations to the mid level employer to even the middle class small business owner who employs illegals to their own benefit KNOWS that if they should become legal, they will have a voice, they will have to get paid fairly in safe conditions and may even unionize.

how would I rectify our current situation? fuck if i know, I'm not a politician. But i think a start is to recognize how and why we are where we are currently, which is the Reagan Amnesty and the federal environment that condoned illegal immigration for the benefit of corporations through a lack of realistic enforcement.

As mad as the average 'Merican is here at the god damn accident causing brownies, they want far less to have to pay 12 dollars for a pound of tomatoes.

I do know this, and I don't think most 'mericans know this:

In many countries, like Peru where my family is from and I have also witnessed this in Mexico and other latin countries - for most of the nineties the television stations would play nothing but Baywatch and shows which made America seem like a gold lined promise land. News stories would even run promoting the work situation in America. It was all good when there were enough latinos to get the work done but it seems now there are just TOO many.

What do we do now? Nothing in this current political climate. With the Teabaggers foaming at the merican mouth, I think we should leave this topic alone for a year or two. I don't think America is capable of having a political debate on this right now.

Latinos are going to be the biggest scape goat this country has ever seen. Watch.

That's a false comparison Rich - what you're looking for is not the amount of taxes paid, but the amount of taxes *not* paid.

I have no problem with the idea that the rich should pay most of the taxes. Absolutely none at all.

• My illegal immigrant cousin paid taxes for years

So you don't believe the statistics that state the top 20% of wage earners pay 60+% of all the federal taxes collected??

Hell NO!

Glenn Beck made 32 million last year and he's the one riling up the distraught white middle class with this sort of rhetoric.

EXXON/MOBILE got a mutherfucking TAX refund! That is a way bigger issue for our country than a bunch of poor us.

I have no problem with the idea that the rich should pay most of the taxes. Absolutely none at all.

Me either...and they do.

The previous comment was how illegals could be paying MORE taxes than "the rich".

And to that I say.....C'mon son.

You're mischaracterizing the statement a bit, I think; DOR's point was that more tax *evasion* goes on with the rich than with illegal immigrants. I think that's a fair point although I have no info to prove/disprove it.

They also can't take any advantage of the taxes they pay, which obviously the rich can.

Hell NO!

Glenn Beck made 32 million last year and he's the one riling up the distraught white middle class with this sort of rhetoric.

EXXON/MOBILE got a mutherfucking TAX refund! That is a way bigger issue for our country than a bunch of poor us.

Fuck Glenn Beck.....go look up the numbers for yourself.

I'm not talking about who didn't pay taxes, I'm talking about who DID pay taxes.

Find a source you trust and see for yourself.

Statistics don't lie, statisticians do.

That wasn't my point. I'm not arguing who pays more taxes. I'm betting there is a portion of wealthy individuals who don't pay any taxes (Much like a portion of US corps pay nothing in US taxes) through loopholes and offshore tax shelters.

We know this to be true.

While some illegals do pay taxes through their employer.

Hence, it's a given that some could pay taxes while others don't...