Stones Throw

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Donuts is without a doubt a record that changed the sound of rap music (for better or for worse), and is qualitatively an excellent piece of music. I don't know what else there is.
    Changed the sound of rap music, really? I love that album, don't get me wrong, but come on now.

Yes, really. That record has influenced a whole generation of beatmakers, not just underground/indie dudes either.

I mean, I don't know why I'm really arguing about this. It's not really like, some revolutionary concept or whatever. I must be bored

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    "Donuts" is a classic, that record is amazing. it's beyond just some experimetal instrumental shit or bedroom chill music, that album is beautiful..........the isley's flip at the end of the record is heartbreaking to me. theres a couple on there where it seems like dilla's saying his goodbyes to everyone (i.e. "when i die" flip)

i don't know, i'm sure i'm reading into it too much, but just the way he he constructs the beats and all that is on some other level. so beyond my personal connection to it, i feel the album is classic in a musical sense. all imho, of course.

also, i don't ride for dillas early slum village/neo soul style. i like "stakes is high" and "they don't care about us" and some others but i don't rate him as one of the greatest, i really only like the donuts era sound, just in case any one thinks i'm one of these dudes wearing a "dilla changed my life" shirt.

peace,xavier

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    I don't know about "classique" (and it certainly won't register on Faux's private mindgarden-o-meter) but I would play Rasco's "The Unassisted" to enthusiastic response as recently as 2005. Granted it was the instrumental during an open mic, but few "underground" beats of that time period had that kind of staying power nearly 10 years later.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Which beatmakers of note did Donuts influence?

Which ones would matter to you?

• haze25haze25 759 Posts

i hear the "donuts" influence in kanyes "the people" for common and the game's "wouldn't get far". also you KNOW pete rock was listening to that shit.
    k-def also put out an instrumntal album which in my ears had some definite dounuts-esque stuff. and i know, k-def in't some super prodcer right now, but he did score the first single off of diddy's (slept on) "press play" just a couple years back.

but more so i think jonny's talking about the underground dudes you wouldn't consider being "of note". inderectly, i'm sure alot of people were influenced by the donuts album. not to speak for others, but i know jake one's a huge dilla fan and i'm sure "donuts" made an impression on him. not to mention the countless madlib tributes though those are truly ehhhhhhhhhhh.

peace,xavier

Man you know, a lot of guys come in to my shop. DJs, producers, industry insideurs, what have you. So without naming names, when I say like, "a lot of producers"... that includes from like your bedroom beatmaker type dudes to big time guys with hit records and "classics" in their catalog. I mean, some of these cats are already on record in magazines, on various blogs and what have you so this is not exactly like some secret. Dude was very influential. It's not really up for discussion you know? I mean whether people on soulstrut think "Donuts" is a classic or is influential is so irrelevant. The rest of the music world isn't waiting on the decision.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    Dilla, your favorite producer's favorite producer.

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    I agree with your views on Donuts being great, but which producers actual 'sound' do you think it has influenced?
    I know a ton of beatmakers think it's a great album and that Dilla was a genius but I don't hear it so much in what they make as with that style it's so distinctive that it's hard to let it influence you without sounding derivative...

Well I actually think the soul sampling style bears a lot of his imprint (people simply attribute it to Kanye and Just but I don't think it's that simple).

And I think his drum programming will be studied for decades to come.

• Dude was very influential. It's not really up for discussion you know?
    Of course, but It's mostly Dilla's Fantastic Vol. 2 era of work that influenced rap production during the last decade. For one, we can all list dozens of songs and albums that were inspired by that era of Dilla's work (his use of handclaps, off-beat syncopation, etc.). To say that so-and-so producer(s) liked Donuts doesn't exactly equate to "changing the sound of rap music".

• Well I actually think the soul sampling style bears a lot of his imprint (people simply attribute it to Kanye and Just but I don't think it's that simple).
    For the sake of discussion, Kanye/Just Blaze/Bink re-popularized the soul sample thing around 2001 during Jay's Blueprint era, and credited RZA's mid 90's work as inspiration.

Right, that was before Donuts. And I think - no, talking to people, I know - that it changed the game. The way people are chopping loops *now* is a direct descendant of that. We're past pitching shit up to 45 right? I'm not talking about The Blueprint.

I'm not talking about "yo Large Professor likes Donuts". I'm talking about people learning or using different techniques, just off that record.

Whatever though. Like I said, you don't really have to trust me on it.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Yet here we've seen that game taken to its unfortunate end...with an irrational declaration of Donuts as a non-classic by someone(s) who should certainly know better.

LOL, typical Shied logic.

Clearly the people who are making an extreme declaration--i.e. that the album is classique--are the ones that need to substantiate their position (which some of them are doing). Not me, the person who acknowledges its quality but thinks it falls short of classique.

An aside: my girlfriend and I listened to it together for the first time recently. She said my lack of familiarity with L.A.'s blazing downtempo local club experience precluded me from fully getting it.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    earlier today I googled a guy who won a record from me on ebay

turns out he founded & runs Stones Throw or someshit

guess I better read up on my read ups

either that or forward him this thread for comment

• DescryDescry 229 Posts

flying lotus
    jrawls
    most of the new up and coming la cats...swiffd...dibiase...
    etc etc

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    An aside: my girlfriend and I listened to it together for the first time recently. She said my lack of familiarity with L.A.'s blazing downtempo local club experience precluded me from fully getting it.

Did you serve her croutons on the futon whilst listening to said album?

Please - he fed her krispy kremes. It's only right.

• Which beatmakers of note did Donuts influence?

flying lotus
    jrawls
    etc etc
    Yikes.

flying lotus
    jrawls
    etc etc

Repeat: beatmakerz of note

Did you serve her croutons on the futon whilst listening to said album?

We were cooking dinner if you must know

I believe I was slicing up some spinach

You might wanna axe about me

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Right, that was before Donuts. And I think - no, talking to people, I know - that it changed the game. The way people are chopping loops *now* is a direct descendant of that. We're past pitching shit up to 45 right? I'm not talking about The Blueprint.

I'm not talking about "yo Large Professor likes Donuts". I'm talking about people learning or using different techniques, just off that record.

I would say Heatmakerz 9th Wonder Alchemist Khrysis and others were chopping samples
    and their influence being even bigger than the Donuts album alone.

flying lotus
    jrawls
    etc etc

Repeat: beatmakerz of note

Have you even heard Swiff D?
    Based on past form i'm guessing you haven't...

• matamaticmatamatic 488 Posts
    swiff d is a beast imo.

Definitely one of the best out there at the moment.

• *sigh*

I would say Heatmakerz 9th Wonder Alchemist Khrysis and others were chopping samples

LOL please be serious.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Chokoleet Mashmellow is no joke either.
    That dude is running LA right now.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

LOL please be serious.

I just come with the facts bruh! you must deal.

• young_creamyoung_cream 540 Posts
    their first release from charizma was good imo