Led Zeppelin Survey

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Page had all these other interests."

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    It's all about this mofo...

x 10[/b]

Definitely one of the Hardest drummers of all time.

Are there other members in Led Zeppelin? I don't hear them.

- spidey

I was waiting for someone to post these, I have a few more as well. The "Fool In The Rain" drums are amazing. Also, as much hate as "Song Remains The Same" gets, Bonzo does some great stuff in there, there are some parts of the long ass "Dazed And Confused" medley that are just straight ahead funk. That man could swing like no other rock drummer.

• pretty good Bonham imitation:

This is Adios Gringo, my buddies and partners in crime since we were 14...they are this strange combination of Slayer, Black Flag, Raymond Scott and I dont know what else...they sometimes play covers at the end of the show, and a lot of the time they are of the WTF variety? You cant be serious type of shit...thing is they dont tailor them to their style, they try and play them as faithful to the original as possible, every cymbal crash, every note in the guitar solo...they do a pretty good job, but here is the ending of "Stairway to Heaven"...keep in mind it is a mid-fi recording in a bar, but I think you can hear a better than average Bonham impersonation(the guitar solo is pretty spot on as well)

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I PUT THESE GUYS NEXT TO STAR TREK, DYLAN, AND THE BEATLES

you're fuckin buggin on that one. But hey, I like some Beatles and a few Dylan songs. No Star Trek tho. I gotta draw the line somewhere.

You need to check out some of their records if you haven't (and I'm guessing you haven't otherwise you would never say such foolishness!).

Zeppelin II is the shit.

• I PUT THESE GUYS NEXT TO STAR TREK, DYLAN, AND THE BEATLES

you're fuckin buggin on that one. But hey, I like some Beatles and a few Dylan songs. No Star Trek tho. I gotta draw the line somewhere.

You need to check out some of their records if you haven't (and I'm guessing you haven't otherwise you would never say such foolishness!).

Zeppelin II is the shit.

Don't get me they all have cool songs, but they just never "did it" for me. I think if they got treated as just another acclaimed band fine, but people SWEAT THE SHIT out of these dudes. Thus the backlash from moi.

Hall and Oates > Led Zep

• Dylan > Zeppelin > Star Trek

• Stevie 80's & 90's output >Dylan > Zeppelin > Star Trek

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Zeppelin shreds

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts

x 10[/b]

Very true. One of the best. It's just that in my opinion, people, myself included, get so worn out of hearing their stuff on the radio or in commercials so often. That said, I'm annoyed by Plant's vocals, too.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    They are basically a tepid amalgam of what a lot of bands do better.

So whose sound was Zeppelin amalgamating when they came out? Plaese to not be saying Blue Cheer or Vanilla Fudge. Even Cream would be stretching it.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Zeppelin shreds

agreed. love the hobbit video too.

Who the fuck doesnt like zeppelin?

Instrumental band? Jesus.

So whose sound was Zeppelin amalgamating when they came out? Plaese to not be saying Blue Cheer or Vanilla Fudge. Even Cream would be stretching it.

Yeah, what? Who does zeppelin better than zeppelin again? You dudes are on one.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Another I hate music thread.

I hate you guys some time.

I ride totally for : No Quarter, Bring It On Home, Going To California.

• Another I hate music thread.

the hobbit plus zeppelin is an allstar combo imo

all you naysayers need to put your critico/journalist pads away, lighten up and live a little. zeppelin is dope. drink a 40,smoke a joint, get laid and accept it

• lighten up .
    zeppelin is dope.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Another I hate music thread.

It's not that simple. I'm saying as a three piece band Zep was making genius music, they just needed a better singer.

• Robert Plant is clearly the most annoying rock singer ever.

I cover my ears.

i mean, you dig hearing him yowl like a Frickin' cat with its balls in a blender? seriously?

funny, james brown does this as well.

led zep is the shit, how many bands wish they were them.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Who won the Black Sabbath Vs. Led Zeppelin battle thread posted months back?

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Robert Plant is clearly the most annoying rock singer ever.

I cover my ears.

i mean, you dig hearing him yowl like a Frickin' cat with its balls in a blender? seriously?

funny, james brown does this as well.

led zep is the shit, how many bands wish they were them.

Not James Brown!

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

Ewww... I don't like Cream or Vanilla Fudge any better.

Look, if I wanna hear heavy rock I'll take a real American group... and if I wanna hear shire-folk, I'll listen to any number groups that actually do it well without the slick blues wailing. Led Zep brings together many gross things under one tidy banner. No wonder so many people with bad taste swear by them.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    This is my favorite Chris Cornell Zeppeling cover, currently.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    No Quarter

One of my favorite songs from them.

You can complain about singing, fame/popularity-Marley-ism's or whatever, but it's what they created as a whole that matters.
    Those 4 dudes created some powerful shit.

so many people with bad taste swear by them.

dude, if no one had ever heard of them they would be your favorite band ever.

Its okay, lol, i understand why you dont like them. I dont ever need to hear stairway to heaven again either. But if you had never heard of em in 1969 and you just picked up their first record, your telling me that wouldnt have been a mind fuck?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Aren't some of these complaints tied to oversaturation?

Actually, most of the well thought out Zeppelin dissent I've read/heard seems to stem from having heard better rock music.

BACKLASH IS A HURTING THING.

How are Led Zeppelin pretentious, again? Maybe in the 70s, but they look downright tame next to

When everyone and their mother has had the last nigh-40 years to absorb a band, the pretentiousness of the band at the time almost always becomes cute and touching.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    My issue is that there are plenty of great hard rock bands to listen to from that era that are WAY less cheese than Zep. I will take the MC5 or Amboy Dukes or whatever any day over Zeppelin. I do not make the Pearl Jam analogy just because I don't like them... to me they sound phony and contrived in a very similar way. There is just no danger or menace in the way they rock.

Your out of your mind with that one crinky.

Comedy.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I dont necessarily agree with this, we cant hear it with 1970 ears, ya know...this is amusing:

I like how the newsmen visibly bristle at the insinuation that Britain's precious Beatles were popularly unseated by something they obviously considered noise. The questions are so comically insulting: "Your music is un-hummable" and "oh, you're rich now" backed with the cruelly flipped "oh, so then you're elitists because you're rich and consider your music deeper, then?" Total ambush.

I could really give a shit about their popularity, perceived place in history, or played-out-ness. I listen to fairly commercial 70's rock... in fact, it's mostly what I listen to. I know that some of the people I'm disagreeing with here are well versed in this stuff and I will respectfully disagree and leave it at that. Others of you really have no idea what you're talking about. Carry on listening to Led Zep and Blue Oyster Cult or whatever. I can't help you.

• I could really give a shit about their popularity, perceived place in history, or played-out-ness. I listen to fairly commercial 70's rock... in fact, it's mostly what I listen to. I know that some of the people I'm disagreeing with here are well versed in this stuff and I will respectfully disagree and leave it at that. Others of you really have no idea what you're talking about. Carry on listening to Led Zep and Blue Oyster Cult or whatever. I can't help you.

come on, you can think of a worse band than BOC to lump zep in with to make them look bad!

I could really give a shit about their popularity, perceived place in history, or played-out-ness. I listen to fairly commercial 70's rock... in fact, it's mostly what I listen to. I know that some of the people I'm disagreeing with here are well versed in this stuff and I will respectfully disagree and leave it at that. Others of you really have no idea what you're talking about. Carry on listening to Led Zep and Blue Oyster Cult or whatever. I can't help you.

come on, you can think of a worse band than BOC to lump zep in with to make them look bad!

How 'bout Supertramp?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

I haven't really listened to Zeppelin but once or twice in years. I don't own a single Zep mp3. As it was with my Marley realization, however, I cannot deny that the band was pretty damn great despite the connotation with some of their fans (not nearly as bad vis-??-vis Marley) and their oversaturation on the demeaning force that is US commercial radio.

I'm just trying to keep everything in the big picture; The Kinks or T. Rex would seem the the most influential groups ever, if you only looked at today's rock acts.