so what are the best albums of this decade so far?

Comments

• DenmarkVZDenmarkVZ 397 Posts
    so far, "I. Robot" is the best abum of 2005 for me.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i knew i got the date wrong. my bad

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    i knew i got the date wrong. my bad

Damn right. I hope you are happy with yourself.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    k

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    Oh, and honorable mentions to N.E.R.D.'s In Search Of... and The Eminem Show (I remember listening to that an awful lot in 2002, despite not being a fan).

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    The Eminem Show

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    The Eminem Show
    have you been stealing from Faux Rillz's CD collection again?

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    Oh, and honorable mentions to N.E.R.D.'s In Search Of... and The Eminem Show (I remember listening to that an awful lot in 2002, despite not being a fan).

You're quite the top 40 listener - I woulda though faux would've at least turned you dirty south keyboard styleee.

You're quite the top 40 listener - I woulda though faux would've at least turned you dirty south keyboard styleee.

I've been listening to Dirty South music since I was 13; I knew who Master P was when he was the "Ice Cream Man," okaaay? But we're talking albums, not singles, and not much holds up in my memory. The Eminem was BFR (before faux_rillz).

The Eminem was BFR (before faux_rillz).

My bad, which means it was the Marshall Mathers LP, not Encore.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Bebel Gilberto's Tanto Tempo (if pressed, I will admit to liking the remix album better)

I've never heard the entire remix album, but based on the tracks I've heard its crazy

Big fan of the OG though

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    count bass d- dwight spitz...no filler from that guy

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    off the top of my head, my vote would be either of the Tommy Guerrero full lengths('a little bit of something' or 'soul food taqueria'). Fools that know me understand that I'm partial to MoWax, but trust me these are certainly worth a listen.

-k

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Not sure how we got off topic but to bring it back...

I'm not mad at hip-hop since 2000. Here's a list of what I'd include:

1) Jay-Z: The Blueprint
    Easy choice on so many levels: the quality of the production, Jay's post-Nas focus and fervor, how it put everyone on notice that just because this was Jay's sixth album, he wasn't about to slack off.

2) Ghostface Killah: Supreme Clientele
    Whether this album single-handedly rescued the Wu depends on how deep of a Clan fan you are but I think it's undeniable that this album catapulted Ghost to the top of the Clan's pecking order. Insanely good production by Rza, Mathematics and the rest of the Wu crew, and just a tour de force of Ghost's lyrical insanity.

3) Outkast: The Love Below/Speakerboxxx or Stankonia
    Frankly, I was always an "Aquemini" man myself but Outkast has been incredibly consistent throughout their careeer and whichever album(s) you pick from the last five years: hard to go wrong.

4) Quasimoto: The Unseen
    Look, if you're going to put any independent/underground album on this list, it might as well be this one. I know not everyone on SS is in love with Quasi and hey, diff't strokes. For those who can appreciate his aesthetic, this is such an exhilarating and creative album to listen to. I was also thinking about Cann Ox's "Cold Vein" but to me, the album hasn't stood the taste of time. Ironic then that I included it in "Classic Material" but hey, shit happens like that.

5) Scarface: The Fix
    Like "the Blueprint" it's another amazing mid-career album, heavy with gravitas and stoop wisdom.

6) Clipse: Lord Willin
    This is almost like a parodic version of "The Fix" - even if the Clipse did use to move yayo, it's hard to take their drug tales that seriously considering how cartoonish they make it but between their humor and the Neptunes' production, this album gets better with each listen.

7) Kanye West: The College Dropout
    Yeah, we hate him now. But when he first came out, Kanye seemed like such a refreshing change. Now we just hope he falls the fuck off and shuts the fuck up.

8) Nas: God's Son
    The best album since "Illmatic" doesn't mean it's remotely as good as "Illmatic" but all things considered, this is still a solid album to me despite its corniness and some bland production.

9) Danger Mouse: The Grey Album
    I'm putting this on here. Deal with it.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

9) Jay-Z: The Black Album

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i always get supreme clientelelele and operation doomsday's years mixed up. god's son had good singles but the album overall was trash. the entire middle of it was filler and while the end was cool, it kinda has no replay value at all.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Ghostface Killah: Supreme Clientele

i was thinking this was released in '99, but i'll amend it to my list now. as this ages, i'm begining to think it's the best wu-tang record ever (there i said it)

Like "the Blueprint" if it was good.

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    I'm having a hard time putting this whole decade in context simply because it still feels like 2000 to me...
    Anyway, my favorite album of last year was definately the Express Rising Album... (Im pretty sure that dude posts on here, so I'm not trying to do anything weird or recycle whatever appreciation was given to that album before my time.) Was this a hiphop only thread, I've since forgotten. (no sarcaso)

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Not sure how we got off topic but to bring it back...

I'm not mad at hip-hop since 2000. Here's a list of what I'd include:

1) Jay-Z: The Blueprint
    Easy choice on so many levels: the quality of the production, Jay's post-Nas focus and fervor, how it put everyone on notice that just because this was Jay's sixth album, he wasn't about to slack off.

2) Ghostface Killah: Supreme Clientele
    Whether this album single-handedly rescued the Wu depends on how deep of a Clan fan you are but I think it's undeniable that this album catapulted Ghost to the top of the Clan's pecking order. Insanely good production by Rza, Mathematics and the rest of the Wu crew, and just a tour de force of Ghost's lyrical insanity.

3) Outkast: The Love Below/Speakerboxxx or Stankonia
    Frankly, I was always an "Aquemini" man myself but Outkast has been incredibly consistent throughout their careeer and whichever album(s) you pick from the last five years: hard to go wrong.

4) Quasimoto: The Unseen
    Look, if you're going to put any independent/underground album on this list, it might as well be this one. I know not everyone on SS is in love with Quasi and hey, diff't strokes. For those who can appreciate his aesthetic, this is such an exhilarating and creative album to listen to. I was also thinking about Cann Ox's "Cold Vein" but to me, the album hasn't stood the taste of time. Ironic then that I included it in "Classic Material" but hey, shit happens like that.

Like "the Blueprint" it's another amazing mid-career album, heavy with gravitas and stoop wisdom.

6) Clipse: Lord Willin
    This is almost like a parodic version of "The Fix" - even if the Clipse did use to move yayo, it's hard to take their drug tales that seriously considering how cartoonish they make it but between their humor and the Neptunes' production, this album gets better with each listen.

7) Kanye West: The College Dropout
    Yeah, we hate him now. But when he first came out, Kanye seemed like such a refreshing change. Now we just hope he falls the fuck off and shuts the fuck up.

8) Nas: God's Son
    The best album since "Illmatic" doesn't mean it's remotely as good as "Illmatic" but all things considered, this is still a solid album to me despite its corniness and some bland production.

Oliver, your list is looking suspiciously like the one you pressed me for awhile back (and then called "parochial")... except your choice of Aquemini as the alltime Outkast album reveals you to be a rockist or something worse.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    off the top of my head, ones that i thoroughly enjoyed:

Jay-z- The Black Album
    Nas- God's Son
    dj shadow- the private press (i listened to this before entroducing; that's perhaps why i like it more so than others.)
    Beck- Sea Changes
    De la soul- The Grind Date
    The Postal Service- Give Up

damn....that's all i oculd think of right now.....definitely not up on all the new good shit. CO-SIGN on Tommy Guerrero's stuff.

• schnipperschnipper 528 Posts
    I remember the night it turned 2000. I was a junior in high school and I kissed this girl Alexis. My listening habbits have changed somewhat since then. I still really like Black Flag and Pavement, though. Some records I have listened to the most in recent years that were released since that evening:

Arthur Russell - Calling Out of Context[/b]
    Not recorded in this period, but released for the first time. If I had to choose, I would say this is my favorite of anything I could come up with to list.

Jay-Z - The Black Album[/b]
    I don't know why, exactly, as this is far from his best album, but I have listened to it a ridiculous amount. It's probably the DJ Quik song. No, I'm joking it's not that song

Juana Molina - Segundo[/b]
    Entire album feels like one gigantic song; is super chill

Black Eyes - Cough, s/t[/b]
    My friends. Toured twice with them, saw them play these songs a zillion times. Records maybe act as a signifier for something else, but shit is pretty strong for albums released on Dischord in the 2000s

MIA/Diplo mixtape[/b]
    I'm a hipster douche or whatever. This shit is super chill

Anthony Hamilton - Whatever His Album is Called, I Forgot[/b]
    Dude's voice is out of control. On the Twista album where he sings over Lovely Day his voice is definitely up there. I am not saying dude is Bill Withers but dude is definitely legitimate. Oh my gosh he's so good

50 Cent - Get Rich or Die Trying[/b]
    When I was in middle school my grama asked me what tape I wanted for a present and I said I wanted an album by this band the Humpers called Live Forever or Die Trying. She went to HMV and got it. She came back and was like I WENT TO HIV AND ASKED FOR THE HUMPERS. I love my grama. This album is kind of like that

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Was this a hiphop only thread, I've since forgotten. (no sarcaso)

no i just think it goes to show, that for all the "RAP IS DEAD" chatter it's still a pretty relevant genre.

off the top of my head here are non hip hop albums from this decade that i enjoyed a lot -

D'angelo - I>Voodoo/I>

Beck - I>Sea Change/I>

Breeders - I>Title Tk/I>

Deftones - I>White Pony/I>

Dillenger Escape Plan - I>Irony Is A Dead Scene EP/I>

Savath & Savalas - I>Aprop'at/I>

Tomahawk - I>Mit Gas/I>

Les Claypool - I>Purple Onion/I>

Fennesz - I>+47 Degrees/I> & I>Endless Summer/I>

Juana Molina - I>Segundo/I>

but, with the exception of voodoo, which i consider to be the best soul record of the past twenty five years or so, none of them really get as much repeated play as the hip hop ones i mentioned

Dude

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Faux,

Oliver, your list is looking suspiciously like the one you pressed me for awhile back (and then called "parochial")... except your choice of Aquemini as the alltime Outkast album reveals you to be a rockist or something worse.

I'm not sure if I get the latter remark. To me, "The Love Below," is, by far, the most rockist friendly of any Outkast album. I know a lot of folks preferred "Stankonia" but I just thought "Aquemini" was really Outkast at their best. I never knew it was in top rotation at Spin.

And if I called your list parochial, it might be because (I honestly don't remember) it seemed fairly absent anything that wasn't on a major. Provided, I only included two myself. But in general, I don't think our musical tastes really diverge much except I'm fairly sure I'm far more likely to enjoy certain albums that you'd otherwise find corny. I had "Like Water For Chocolate" on my post-2000 list but like "Cold Vein" that was a CD that hasn't survived the test of time.

In my 10 spot, I probably could have been willing to entertain quite a few off-beat albums, including Lyrics Born's "Later That Day" or "Megadef" by Styles of Beyond.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    is that a good dude or bad dude? i enjoyed that album but completely forgot about it. i must add notwist - neon golden and phoenix - united to the rock list.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

Dude

is that a I>good/I> "dude" or a I>bad/I> "dude"?

i think the rest of this bands catalog is pretty terrible, but this record is actually really fucking good. it's like what mars volta and their ilk are trying to do (make "art rock" but sell it on a major label and sell it to kids who are getting a little too mature to listen to korn) but this is actually engaging and not all wanky. also i have the version that doesn't have that awful "back to school" song on it. that was added to a later pressing.

is that a good dude or bad dude? i enjoyed that album but completely forgot about it. i must add notwist - neon golden and phoenix - united to the rock list.

I wouldn't say it's a bad dude, per se, but it's certainly not a good dude. It's more of a scrunched up pouty faced dude. Like I'm nine and someone is trying to get me to eat escargot or sit through Yom Kippur services

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Faux,

I'm not sure if I get the latter remark. To me, "The Love Below," is, by far, the most rockist friendly of any Outkast album. I know a lot of folks preferred "Stankonia" but I just thought "Aquemini" was really Outkast at their best. I never knew it was in top rotation at Spin.

And if I called your list parochial, it might be because (I honestly don't remember) it seemed fairly absent anything that wasn't on a major. Provided, I only included two myself. But in general, I don't think our musical tastes really diverge much except I'm fairly sure I'm far more likely to enjoy certain albums that you'd otherwise find corny. I had "Like Water For Chocolate" on my post-2000 list but like "Cold Vein" that was a CD that hasn't survived the test of time.

In my 10 spot, I probably could have been willing to entertain quite a few off-beat albums, including Lyrics Born's "Later That Day" or "Megadef" by Styles of Beyond.

I'm not being completely serious, but as far as I know Aquemini was the first Outkast album to appeal to non-rap listeners (it was also the first Outkast album that I was less than enthusiastic about) and it amazes me that anybody that's heard ATLiens and Southernplayalistic would call it their favorite Outkast record.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    have you heard that particular record, matt?