WHY CAN’T FAT JOE SELL MORE RECORDS???

Comments

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    naw for real. theres black dudes on this site that may be able to answer my question. ive always been curious about the hispanic "n" word thing. i remeber listenin to the beatnuts say it and be like, "these dudes aint black, why the hell are they sayin that?". it's just somethin ive wondered about. not tryin to stir up controversy

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    why is it that hispanics can say nigga and get away with it? does Fat Joe even have ANY black in him?
    i think your typing that too freely mack. we know the question, you don't have to ask it over + over again.
    joe is pr + cuban so he may have a little black in him, but he's not recognized as such.in ny,you hear latin cats calling each other the 'n' word all the time, don't know why brown folks get a pass...hows about sum black strutters say what's up on this ?

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    Why do YOU say it? No beef, just wondering why.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    cause he's a picachu looking motherfucker

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

does picachu use the 'n' word?

being that he's of Asian nature, i'm sure he can get away with "Ninja"

• CueCue 26 Posts
    Another point. When Big Pun was alive he sold really well. I have Capital Punishment and Yeahhh Baby. Maybe it is the whole "style/image" thing. Joe looks like he's trying too hard to be all things to all people. Whereas Pun, at least to me, had a natural persona and better range (like jokes, hardcore stuff, sex/misogony). He could make fun of himself.

Fat Joe is just, blah. "Joey crack, cooked crak crak!!!"

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    being that he's of Asian nature, i'm sure he can get away with "Ninja"

Actually, in the mandarin chinese language:

"Ne-ga" = "that"

"Ze-ga" = "this"

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    naw for real. theres black dudes on this site that may be able to answer my question. ive always been curious about the hispanic "n" word thing. i remeber listenin to the beatnuts say it and be like, "these dudes aint black, why the hell are they sayin that?". it's just somethin ive wondered about. not tryin to stir up controversy

As far as I'm concerned, Puerto Ricans ARE black. Or at least part black, and you know how it is in this society- one drop of black blood and you have the right to say the "n" word all that you want to, because that's what you are. Some of them may not want to see it that way, and some of US may not want to see it that way either. But as a dude who came up with close puerto rican friends and a few puerto rican girlfriends, that's how it is to me.

You really have a talent with this shit, dude.

Yo Phill,

I think there are two reasons that Joey Crack doesn't sell:

1. He is uninteresting lyrically (i.e., he is a 12" artist).

2. He is not palatable to White folks (he's too rough for their sensibilities).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Uninteresting lyricaly, too rough .... yep, sounds like 50 to me! If you ask me, that's TOTALLY the formula for huge success in 2005!

WHY CAN'T FAT JOE SELL MORE RECORDS???

I was just listening to the "All Or Nothing" bootleg[/b]

Well, there is no official release for this album yet. Don't worry, I'm gonna buy the real thing when it drops and support my nigga to the fullest!

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

As far as I'm concerned, Puerto Ricans ARE black. Or at least part black, and you know how it is in this society- one drop of black blood and you have the right to say the "n" word all that you want to, because that's what you are. Some of them may not want to see it that way, and some of US may not want to see it that way either. But as a dude who came up with close puerto rican friends and a few puerto rican girlfriends, that's how it is to me.
    as pun said himself(or joe, what the hell happened to that guy??)"BORICUA MORENA!"

I forgot though, the real reason he aint selling?

New York is played out.

Well, I know 50 sounds pretty damn southern, but he is technically still New York, right? Or at least Connecticut. Connecticut's not played out?

in all seriousness i think the fat and black comments were lame

^it aint as simple as that (note to self, exit photoshop u shmuck), but i really think he doesnt have anything AT ALL that distinguishes him from other rappers that makes him stand out, in terms of charisma or whatever u want to call it. i dont find his voice original and distinctive, which is a plus for people when their lyrics aren't exciting, and his lyrics aren't to great...so i dont see what the surprise is.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    His carrer was silent right before he discovered Pun.He was able to align himself with hot new talent and got the ball rollin again.Joe continues to breath in game
    that alot of cats suffocate in.J.O.S.E. got some hot tracks on that album.Im still
    not a fan.THe 1st album sits right beside other DITC albums of that time.

persoanlly i think fat joe has one of the illest and most rugged voices/flows EVER! i love his flow man, shit is so perfect

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    joe's diss to 50 wasn't even as big as jada's???"you ain't a predicate, king of new york, you live in conneticut.."joe's had more funny shit to it like calling 50 a stripper for getting all oiled up in the "magic stick" video".

I think maybe Joe just doesn't have "it", whatever that "it" thing is that makes the public just take a liking to certain individuals. My wife is not a rap afficianado in the least, but she digs all that 50 Cent shit, even "Hate It Or Love It" (she loves it). When i mention Fat Joe, she's like "who"? I'm like, "the fat spanish dude... you know, "lean back, lean back". She's like, "ohhh... you mean Pun?" I'm like "nooooo, mama, you know Pun is dead. The other fat spanish dude, you remember, he's had a lot of hits... the ones with R. Kelly and J.Lo and you remember "What's Love" with Ashanti, right?" Then she's all like "Oh, okay. Ehh, he's alright. But he ain't no 50 Cent!!!" Real headz know.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    I think maybe Joe just doesn't have "it", whatever that "it" thing is that makes the public just take a liking to certain individuals.
    yeah,joe dosen't really cut across all the spectrums like 50.but somebody's buying these records? i think he should stick to the style he's got now,"so much more" is the first fat joe single that hasn't made me want to gouge out my eye's since "jealous one's envy".

Y'all are aware that "Still Tippin" was like the song of 2004

It sure wasn't around here. How long has that song even been out??? It must've been bubblin' on the underground for a loooooong ass time. And I don't think a whole lot of middle aged middle class white folks were walkin' around singin' "tippin' on 4 Vogues" last year. I saw people who I thought would hate rap music singing "lean back, lean back" in 2004, fo' reals! That's my whole point- it seemed like that song transcended the rap category and hit hard at the pop level. I thought that was supposed to mean you do big Soundscan numbers, but it just wasn't the case for Crackman.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    Y'all are aware that "Still Tippin" was like the song of 2004

I saw people who I thought would hate rap music singing "lean back, lean back" in 2004, fo' reals!
    bruce willis.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Connecticut's not played out?

hell no. Connecticut is on and poppin.

• cause he's a picachu looking motherfucker

If you sold this, I would buy it.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    on a more record related note, i always wondered something about the J.O.E. LP. There's a huge Yusef Lateef sample that i never heard since. I tought it was part of the Symphonic Blues Suite, but it' not. Any old head knows about that?

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Yo Phill,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Uninteresting lyricaly, too rough .... yep, sounds like 50 to me! If you ask me, that's TOTALLY the formula for huge success in 2005!

Hey Phill,

I agree that 50 cent is uninteresting lyrically as well, but he's a little more "smoothed over" and "softer" that the Crackman. I guess that mumblin' style of his is easier to swallow (note, I never understand what the fuck he's saying'). Plus, the chicks dig his physique. I'm sure suburban white girls have Mandingo fantasies about fuckin' dude. That couldn't hurt his record sales either. I would doubt that the same applies to Joe.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Yo Phill,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Hey Phill,

I agree that 50 cent is uninteresting lyrically as well, but he's a little more "smoothed over" and "softer" that the Crackman. I guess that mumblin' style of his is easier to swallow (note, I never understand what the fuck he's saying'). Plus, the chicks dig his physique. I'm sure suburban white girls have Mandingo fantasies about fuckin' dude. That couldn't hurt his record sales either. I would doubt that the same applies to Joe.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Okay, good points... I see what you're saying. Even though 50 talks about killing people, he does it in a softer, smoother manner. And most of his biggest hits really are straight up non-threatening ( "In The Club", "21 Questions", "Magic Stick", "Candy Shop" "A Little Bit"). Is it me or isn't that the main thing he used to get on Ja about? Cue Divine Sounds: "WHAT... PEO-PLE DO... FOR MUH-NAAAAAAY".
    Can't knock his hustle, though... the boy had a plan and made it reality in a short span of time. To layin' up in a hospital riddled with bullets and broke to taking helicopter rides right to his spacious mansion in Connecticut in just a few years of grindin'. Get rich or die tryin' is right.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    why is it that hispanics can say nigga and get away with it? does Fat Joe even have ANY black in him?

cause hes not white, now watch your mouth.

so, hes not black either? can chinese people say nigga if they want?

J-Lo's Uh-Oh:Jennifer Lopez's use of the N-word lands her in controversy city, again.

SEE! im not that only one that feels that way

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

cause hes not white, now watch your mouth.

so, hes not black either? can chinese people say nigga if they want?

"People be screamin' what's the deal with you and so-and-so / I tell them niggas mind their biz but they don't hear me, though."[/b]

I'm not sticking up for J-Lo and don't know the context of the lyrics, but there is another use for that word, you know.