WHY CAN’T FAT JOE SELL MORE RECORDS???

Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
edited May 2005 in Music Talk
I was just listening to the "All Or Nothing" bootleg (not the official album, just the street boot with a bunch of unreleased and / or slept on joints) and I'm like daaaaaam... Joey really has a lot of stuff that sounds like hit material. Street bangers, pop / commercial stuff, grimey authentic hip hop stuff, the whole enchilada. And I don't know if he's got ghostwriters on the payroll or not, but the rhyme skills just keep getting better and better. Y'all are aware that "Lean Back" was like the song of 2004- you know when middle class white america is rockin' it hard you've supposedly made it. So why hasn't Cooked Coke made it yet? He's followed the formula for going multi platinum to a T, but isn't getting the multi platinum sales- not even close. Not that he's not doing better than his "Flow Joe" days, but I'd think that he should be up there near that 50 Cent level. What up with that? Theories, plaese.

Comments

• catchdubscatchdubs 492 Posts
    He's followed the formula for going multi platinum to a T

sort of...he doesn't yet have the knack for pop hooks that 50 does (or that Dre and Scott Storch do, I guess). the last three 50 singles of his latest record have all gotten crazy burn on top 40 pop radio, something joe just barely cracked with "lean back".

on the other hand - i feel like his straight rap shit has been crazy, especially the just blaze joint. excited to hear the rest of the new album.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    the last three 50 singles of his latest record have all gotten crazy burn on top 40 pop radio, something joe just barely cracked with "lean back".

You're right about 50 and those hooks- he's got the hit song formula mastered. I never thought it would be possible for 50 to outsell Eminem, but he's doing it.
    But as for "Lean Back", that song was number one on the pop charts for weeks last year! Something's gotta be wrong for Joe not to be selling more than he is. Maybe he needs to get with Jimmy Iovine and them, I dunno.

• ...but I'd think that he should be up there near that 50 Cent level. What up with that? Theories, plaese.

Unfortunately, I think people have have a hard time taking fat people seriously. No sex appeal...

Peace...
    FNM

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    ...but I'd think that he should be up there near that 50 Cent level. What up with that? Theories, plaese.

Unfortunately, I think people have have a hard time taking fat people seriously. No sex appeal...

Peace...
    FNM

THE FAT THEORY IS STUPID. Notorios BIG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If he went pop like a 50 Cent,then the real haterade would start flowin.
    Fat JOE is a steady artist.When the suburbs drop 50, Joe will still have
    his status intact.Never too pop-but knockin' on the door.

• DIGGADIGGADIGGADIGGA 456 Posts
    straight up! cause he not black...

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    straight up! cause he not black...

What does that have to do with it? Not saying that's not the case, maybe that's exactly what it is. But if you really believe that, why? There are more hispanic americans in the U.S. than there are african americans, if that even makes a difference.
    Regardless, if you're going multi platinum that means a whole lot of white folks are buying into your hype. Are you perhaps saying that white people like black people more than they like hispanic people?
    AND WHILE I'M ON THAT SUBJECT... why the hell don't we see more shows, commercials, etc. featuring hispanics if they're the largest minority in the country now? I can't even front, I see black people all the time nowadays when I pick up a magazine or turn on the tv. Hispanics? Not nearly as much representation as they should be havin'. Somebody got some 'splainin' to do about this sh*t, mang!

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts
    He STILL isn't anything to write home to mom about on the mic.

And he is practically a charicature of what it is to be a hip-hop idiot.

In other words dude is trying way too hard to be tough, to accentuate his New Yorkness, to be seen as an actual dope MC, to make us think that being a fat slob is a good thing, etc...and should be pleased that he has already done as well as he has.

Y'all are aware that "Still Tippin" was like the song of 2004

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    AND WHILE I'M ON THAT SUBJECT... why the hell don't we see more shows, commercials, etc. featuring hispanics if they're the largest minority in the country now? I can't even front, I see black people all the time nowadays when I pick up a magazine or turn on the tv. Hispanics? Not nearly as much representation as they should be havin'. Somebody got some 'splainin' to do about this sh*t, mang!

It only took blacks like 200 years to get the constant rotation in the media, give hispanics at least a few to get up there.

He STILL isn't anything to write home to mom about on the mic.

And he is practically a charicature of what it is to be a hip-hop idiot.

In other words dude is trying way too hard to be tough, to accentuate his New Yorkness, to be seen as an actual dope MC, to make us think that being a fat slob is a good thing, etc...and should be pleased that he has already done as well as he has.

Im not a fan,but Fat Joe bravado(nyc/bronx style)is at the core of this game.
    Cmon son, "trying way too hard to be tough," ??? Like Melle-Mel,LL,KRS1-the list goes on.Oh and yes,there is a gangsta edge to it.He sold crack. How would you spit if you sold crack.

I dont think his race factors in.
    Jlo sells alot to the same demograph.
    Joe might be lacking that sex appeal.

How would you spit if you sold crack?

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts

He's not pop?

He did an article a while back talking about how he switched to doing pop-ish stuff and it wasn't as bad as he thought it would be.

He's not pop?

He did an article a while back talking about how he switched to doing pop-ish stuff and it wasn't as bad as he thought it would be.

His team seems to aim for pop, but the new video has that non daytime radio
    song attached at the end with him in the dark club. That aint pop.

• My .02. He's never really had his own style. Even going back to "represent", which was good but not great... it sounded like so many other showbiz or diamond d produced albums of the early 90s. Maybe he just doesn't have an original enough style or image. "Still tippin" was AN ANTHEM, sure, but the production was what made it what it was. I'm with archaic, he's a stereotypical hip-hop meathead, which is fine, but it doesn't help you stick out from the crowd. I don't believe you douds are playing the race card. Come on now. If you don't like his flow that's one thing, but it's 2005. No hispanics? What about beatnuts?

How would you spit if you sold crack?

How would you rhyme if you peddled cooked cocaine?
    (EBONICS Textbook pg.187)

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    No hispanics? What about beatnuts?

When did they sell any records, though?

I think Fat Joe suffers from the Busta Rhymes/NORE syndrome: no matter how hot the single, everyone assumes that the album will be--at best--more of the same, and will more likely just consist of filler.

Also, despite the fact that his delivery has gotten a lot better in the past two years, he's still not interesting enough as a rapper to sell a full album, and no amount of attempting to generate interest in himself as a "street legend" is going to distract people from that fact.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I think the Hispanic thing plays a huge role in it. Blacks will always seem "cooler" to whites and most Latin Hip Hop consumers. Maybe not regionally, but on a national level, definitely. And do you really think Blacks will take a Fat Joe over a 50?

I also think the weight thing is a factor. Biggie was fat, but Black. When was the last time (besides Pun, who IMO received more "accolades" AFTER his death) an overweight Hip Hop person was popular?

Herm

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Yall are reachin.

I think its because...

1. Hes not that good.

2. Hes on SRC, which is like some big time independent right? Steve rifkinds label or something? Definitely not interscope.

Also, people are judging his sales by the sucess of the terror squad album. I mean, come on, even I know not to buy the terror squad album! Who wants to hear those other dudes rap? NOBODY.

And people that say still tippin is only a hit because of the production are misguided. The beat is hot, but that aint enough to get the masses exited. All 3 of those dudes had nice verses on that song.

I think the Hispanic thing plays a huge role in it. Blacks will always seem "cooler" to whites and most Latin Hip Hop consumers. Maybe not regionally, but on a national level, definitely. And do you really think Blacks will take a Fat Joe over a 50?

I also think the weight thing is a factor. Biggie was fat, but Black. When was the last time (besides Pun, who IMO received more "accolades" AFTER his death) an overweight Hip Hop person was popular?

Herm

Speaking as a white guy, I dont really think alot of white people are neccesarily aware of the fact that hes not black. well, mabye they are.

anyway, my point is hes "black" enough for the suburban hip hop consumer you speak of. Hes gangster, talks about guns and says the n-word alot. I think that qualifies.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Yo Phill,

I think there are two reasons that Joey Crack doesn't sell:

1. He is uninteresting lyrically (i.e., he is a 12" artist).

2. He is not palatable to White folks (he's too rough for their sensibilities).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

I forgot though, the real reason he aint selling?

New York is played out.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    WHY CAN'T FAT JOE SELL MORE RECORDS???

I was just listening to the "All Or Nothing" bootleg[/b]

New York is played out.

Jay-Z

New York is played out.

Jay-Z

retired cause he knew NYC was bout to be played out.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    why is it that hispanics can say nigga and get away with it? does Fat Joe even have ANY black in him?

why is it that hispanics can say nigga and get away with it? does Fat Joe even have ANY black in him?

cause hes not white, now watch your mouth.

New York is played out.

Jay-Z

No one part of the country stays on top for too long. Where's Miami? HIPHOP has historically taken its cues from NYC. I listen to all the regions.
    But you opened your mouth son. Clones shouldnt have Biggie(N.Y.C.)as their image

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts

so, hes not black either? can chinese people say nigga if they want?

New York is played out.

Jay-Z

No one part of the country stays on top for too long. Where's Miami? HIPHOP has historically taken its cues from NYC. I listen to all the regions.

But you opened your mouth son. Clones shouldnt have Biggie(N.Y.C.)as their image

haha, chill, chill. Im just trying to stir shit up, dont catch feelings.

I listen to tons of NYC shit, but I have heard it said.

so, hes not black either? can chinese people say nigga if they want?

I dont think thats really for me to say, or for you to ask dude.