Euro 2012 thread

Comments

• Just about every one of the German's goals was hammered home with relative ease.
    If the England teams of the last 20 years had the confidence the Germans always display, I wonder where they would have ended up.

• badder_than_evil said:
    Just about every one of the German's goals was hammered home with relative ease.
    If the England teams of the last 20 years had the confidence the Germans always display, I wonder where they would have ended up.

in germany

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts
    I sincerely hope Spain go out against Portugal.. That whole 4-6-0 - let's see how many times we can pass it around - tactic doesn't make for an exciting game to say the least. They'll run into trouble if they play with their defensive line this far up the pitch against Ronaldo.

Expecting tonight's game to be a lot more fun though!

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    badder_than_evil said:

in germany

Don't worry, I don't think we'll be seeing this again at the Euros.

England are playing 'the Chelsea way', but Carroll is no Drog. Nor is Rooney.

Oh, and

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Watched approx 12 minutes of Spain v France before deciding to find something interesting to do.

Which turned out to be reading a David Walliams book with an 11yo.

Duder, do you think the Ukraine ghost goal plus the Hurst 66 goal are In rough balance with Lampard goal, Sol header v Argentina, Maradona hand of god etc?
    Or are we still due some luck credit?

Tonight is too close to call.

Not sure that any of these things balance out, but it's a reminder of the fine margins that the hopes of nations rest upon. Would be nice to think that some Ukranians will remember that this happened to us at the WC, and a gutted Lampard should be enough to temper anyone's grief.

I don't know why everyone thinks tonight will be close. Italy were just as good vs Spain, and should've beaten them. If Italy wanted to, they could also finish tonight's match with 80% ball possession, but unlike Spain they will be more direct in their efforts to score.
    England have only looked dangerous once games have opened up. I can't see why the match tonight would. So far we've jammed early goals against France and Sweden, and huffed and puffed to a scrappy win against Ukraine.
    Italy won't give us a cheap goal. They will keep the ball in our half until they score, and then sit back, probably with the ball, while we chase around like arseholes.

1 or 2-0 to Italy.

Biggest let-down of the tournament so far is that the camera men have been in gross deriliction of their duty to find hot women to look at during stoppages of play. The girls are there, but we get family shots, or politicians, and only the odd 3 seconds of totty instead of the lingering close-ups I'm used to from the perverts of Germany, South Africa, and no doubt Brasil.
    Imagine how frustrating Qatar will be!

• Yeah, I think we will probably be beaten convincingly tonight. Better teams or teams on form would have wiped the floor with us.

I've always loathed watching Italy and the luck they seem to get in tournaments, while playing negatively.

I was impressed with them against Spain - they attacked before they needed to(usually have to be a goal down).

Now England are playing their style of football. Not my favourite.

I'd give England more chance with Balotelli playing than Di Natale. Di Natale has the finishing ability to kill any team off feeding off scraps.

Getting a weird vibration that Young or Milner are going to grab a goal out of nowhere tonight.

I call for penalties, Hodgson to be way more agitated than the Italian manager, but Italy to bottle it and miss a couple, allowing us to march forward to heartbreak in the semi.

I mean, Poland, virtually home turf for the Germans, no?

::wink::

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    pirlo's long balls are world calss
    dinatale would have smashed that in
    good game so far

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,895 Posts
    Pennos.

Meh.

Total lottery. Italians have had the best of the game. Maybe we'll be lucky?

LOL

Damn that was painful.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Really painful.

• pirlo >>>>>>>>>>>> ashleys

• Game would have been over by halftime if Di Natale had the chances Balotelli had.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    neil_something said:
    pirlo >>>>>>>>>>>> ashleys

should have been worth two goals....

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I didn't expect us to win tonight. Going out on pens against a far superior Italian side is nothing to be ashamed of. This actually hasn't been a bad tournament for England, although I doubt you'll hear too many other people say that.

DocMcCoy said:
    This actually hasn't been a bad tournament for England, although I doubt you'll hear too many other people say that.

We have had a good tournament by our standards :cheese:
    All of the games have been more positive than any of the World Cup games under Capello. Just wonder when picking players on reputation will be put to bed in favour of form. Rooney should've been subbed instead of Wellbeck. Gerrard should've been subbed instead of Parker. Young should never have started. Milner just did what Milner does.

Looking forward to Hodgson picking a younger team and new faces for Brasil though. He got the best he could out of limited players, he just needs the job security to be able to drop Big Names for Big Games.

• Rooney has lived off the group stages of 2004 ever since.
    I'm amazed he is still looked upon as a threat. He'll never do anything anywhere near as good for England as the likes of Lineker or Shearer did before him.

• Rooney has lived off the group stages of 2004 ever since.
    I'm amazed he is still looked upon as a threat. He'll never do anything anywhere near as good for England as the likes of Lineker or Shearer did before him.

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    VERY dissapointed with ashley young at the moment.
    italy clearly the better team today but germany will thrash them.

peace, stein. . .

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts

Parker + Gerrard is a shit midfield.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,895 Posts
    Out in the quarters on pennos is about right. I had no rage to control last night.

For all the "Pirlo this, Pirlo that" chat, they never scored, and we did create scoring chances. We are never going to be completing the same number of passes as those sides as we don't play that way, but as Doc said, it's no shame to have remained on our feet for 15 rounds against a technically better opponent. We didn't do any better because we gave the ball away too much. If he can change that, we might be onto something. We are short 2 decent midfielders and played as such, tactically.

The Good (better than expected):
    The back 4 being resilient.
    Parker.
    Carroll putting in a shift.
    Wellbeck.

The Bad (worse than expected):
    Rooney
    Gerrard
    Milner

The Ugly (Shouldn't have been there):
    Ashley Young

magpaul said:

Parker + Gerrard is a shit midfield.

Somebody sent me an email with this stat:

Joe Hart completed more passes (45) and had more touches (85) than any other England player.

If true, just LOL.

J i m s t e r said:
    Out in the quarters on pennos is about right. I had no rage to control last night.

For all the "Pirlo this, Pirlo that" chat, they never scored, and we did create scoring chances. We are never going to be completing the same number of passes as those sides as we don't play that way, but as Doc said, it's no shame to have remained on our feet for 15 rounds against a technically better opponent. We didn't do any better because we gave the ball away too much. If he can change that, we might be onto something. We are short 2 decent midfielders and played as such, tactically.

The Good (better than expected):
    The back 4 being resilient.
    Parker.
    Carroll putting in a shift.
    Wellbeck.

The Bad (worse than expected):
    Rooney
    Gerrard
    Milner

The Ugly (Shouldn't have been there):
    Ashley Young

Agree with all of this.

I had little doubt that things would turn out differently, to be honest, but for all that there was still the hope that England might be able to ride their luck a little further. There were periods where I actually enjoyed watching England for the first time in a long time this tournament, though. The football wasn't great, and the limitations were as obvious as ever, but there were some good performances throughout (most notably from John Terry) and the odd glimpse of how good England could be if they ever learnt to play properly.

As for Pirlo, it can hardly come as a surprise to see him dominate a game. He's been one of the world's best players in his position for yonks, and his influence was enough to inspire an otherwise relatively average Italian side to raise their game. They never looked like losing in open play, after all. His contribution was also a testament to how being good at the boring stuff - keeping hold of the ball, passing accurately, that sort of thing - is useful if you want to win games or, indeed, tournaments. Something we might have time to reflect upon if we find ourselves watching Spain pass their way to their third successive international triumph on Sunday.

*KRS-One 'I was there!' face*

if we find ourselves watching Spain pass their way to their third successive international triumph on Sunday.
    ]

Football with all the fun sucked out of it?
    Here's one viewer who will find something else to do.

if we find ourselves watching Spain pass their way to their third successive international triumph on Sunday.
    ]

Apart from the winning. That's pretty good fun.

I'm trying to picture some of those Spanish players lying awake at night, racked with anxiety over having betrayed the spirit of the game and wishing they could change places with all the beautiful losers who made up Spanish squads of yore. It's a bit of a struggle, frankly.

We're never going to agree on this. I take your point and everything, but the thing is, moral victories don't actually count. Moreover, I've seen England lose enough penalty shoot-outs to be able to comfortably declare drama a teeny bit over-rated.

]

Cheer on zee Germans - easily playing the best football at the tournament.

]

Apart from the winning. That's pretty good fun.

I'm trying to picture some of those Spanish players lying awake at night, racked with anxiety over having betrayed the spirit of the game and wishing they could change places with all the beautiful losers who made up Spanish squads of yore. It's a bit of a struggle, frankly.

We're never going to agree on this. I take your point and everything, but the thing is, moral victories don't actually count. Moreover, I've seen England lose enough penalty shoot-outs to be able to comfortably declare drama a teeny bit over-rated.

Each according to their conscience and all that.
    I have just found that the precision minimalism offered by Spain acts as an anaesthetic, and the ends never justify the means in any field except war. And possibly, scoring mad rare vinyl.

]

Cheer on zee Germans - easily playing the best football at the tournament.

Yeah, the general atmosphere in Berlin after they beat Greece on Friday night suggests there will be one unholy fuck of a knees-up if they win the final. I'm seriously considering taking the Monday off, just in case.

Shit, we're rooting for ze Germans.

Wtf is happening to the world.

Anyways, now Woi has bought a bit of admiration, hopefully he can ditch the old guard and the younger fails, get new and fresh in and do summat in about 4 years.