Trying to find more albums like this...(psych-folk related)

CastenedaCasteneda 100 Posts
edited April 2012 in Strut Central
Looking for more, sleepy folk with echoey flutes. Any suggestions?

Comments

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    thats a slept on record!

facedancers and rationals have moments of similarity
    and travel agency too

• CastenedaCasteneda 100 Posts
    Thanks for the suggestions. I dig that Rationals track!

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    There are very few records that sound like Hollins & Starr. I think Linn County's Proud Flesh Soothseer has some similar moments, as does maybe Colours or Flaming Ember, but you're gonna be hard pressed to find echoey flutes in folk psych without it devolving into an SF psych wankfest or India raga jams. Could you clarify what you're seeking a freckle?

Yeah, I don't care to dig into the Indian raga/jam style stuff. More like: ethereal vocals, acoustic or reverb/processed guitars, and echoey wind instruments (not necessarily just flutes).

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    If you gave me an idea which ones of these floated your boat, I could then give you less of a shotgun assortment.

Actually, that Paul Parrish is totally the type of style I'm looking for. Really like the Le Orme as well! I already have the Axelrod/Electric Prunes stuff, and Free Design--kind've similar to the stuff I'm trying to get more of! Thanks for the suggestions!

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    I ride for this album all day every day

echoey, flutey, psychey....all the ingredients with a dash of volcanic stone

• This Amanda Trees record may fit the bill but none of the good songs are on YouTube.
    The only video that came up was this one and the sound quality is very shit

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    This might be a little more folky than your wanting and no flutes, but I love this album:

HOLLAFAME said:
    I ride for this album all day every day

echoey, flutey, psychey....all the ingredients with a dash of volcanic stone

This is totally the kind of stuff I'm looking for! Thanks!

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    If you don't mind non-English singing, there's lots from South America that fits:

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    This album is great. Yuji Ohno production....

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    What about that Kay Gardner? Not enough effects?

You guys are blowing my mind! Thanks for these wonderful suggestions, I'm loving everything I'm hearing right now!

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    This album has got some heat...

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    This lp is essential listening that has recently been reissued in association with Sue E/Akins.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

A LOT of flute and a little renaissance faire:

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    Big_Chan said:

Great album. Love how Paul Nice flipped that joint for that Jay-Z remix

• sneakypsneakyp 202 Posts

Mossy Davidson. Stayed a few nights on her farm in AK last summer and only a month later discovered this record and realized the connection. She's a bit dotty now but in good spirits and still enjoying the life. Misty frost bitten Alaskan folk. Northwind calling is the LP and all sounds about like this. No psych, just straight ahead shit about sparrows, coyotes, rain, and being alone.

Also C.O.B. warrants some exploration. Spirit oF Love esp. but also Tartan Lancers...has a few moments

bonnie d has another good LP in a similar vein with an upbeat ditty about an abortion:

HOLLAFAME said:
    Big_Chan said:

Great album. Love how Paul Nice flipped that joint for that Jay-Z remix

Hey guys, just wanted to thank you again for the recommendations. That Bonnie Dobson stuff is hot! I definitely have more on my list to buy now.

Peace!

• I can't find audio clips of either of these but they are definitely worth picking up if you ever have the chance.

Miles of Smiles

&

Dear Jeff...

Both are xian folk. miles of Smiles is full of good guitar work, soft vocals at times and really good flute. Dear Jeff is just dreamy folk and has some good echoey/synth work on a few songs.

I have both hard filed.

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    This might fit the bill, a fave of mine anyway -

yeah that Richard Twice is killller