SoulseekQt

Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
edited April 2012 in Strut Central
It has been years since I have used Soulseek because they never had a client that would work well with Macs. They now have a new client called SoulseekQt that is supposed to work with Macs. Has anyone downloaded this and used it? How does it work? Any issues?

Comments

• spcspc 534 Posts
    Big_Chan said:
    It has been years since I have used Soulseek because they never had a client that would work well with Macs. They now have a new client called SoulseekQt that is supposed to work with Macs. Has anyone downloaded this and used it? How does it work? Any issues?

It works well, didn't have any issues at all, finally a native client worth using.
    I think they are updating it constantly, so perhaps when there are issues, they could be fixed the next week.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    It's not as good as the client I was using on my Win Pc a decade ago, but it works.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    So are people still on Soulseek?

Haven't checked for a few years but last time I looked it was a graveyard with the only real activity floating around the death metal group. Recently got fibre optic so if there is still a functioning community on there might be worth me revisiting as still the easiest place to find out of print dance 12"s and the like.

• spcspc 534 Posts
    Junior said:

Haven't checked for a few years but last time I looked it was a graveyard with the only real activity floating around the death metal group. Recently got fibre optic so if there is still a functioning community on there might be worth me revisiting as still the easiest place to find out of print dance 12"s and the like.

Dance music is really well represented on soulseek, with complete label catalogues online, so you check every release and see what's missing your collection.

spc said:
    Junior said:

Dance music is really well represented on soulseek, with complete label catalogues online, so you check every release and see what's missing your collection.

Excellent. Cheers spc, think I'll reinstall it soon then.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I started using it again after MegaUpload got taken down and half the old file shares seemed to disappear from the internet.

It brought out strong nostalgia for back when I probably cared a bit too much about my soulseek file share. Starting on dial-up speeds and leaving it on over night to d/l one album. Getting broadband and building up a library of files. Constantly organising said library - and c/ping that RIAA warning thing at the entrance to it. Random Japanese dudes trying to get you to identify some break. Angry Germans with KPM completist fetishes. The SoulStrut room. The Vinly Vultures room. Gary trolling the Twee room and others.

Ah those were the days..

Ha ha yes! I think I probably still have a few albums floating about that are missing half the last track when the sharer decided to go offline never to return, breaking my heart.
    Always seemed to attract a fair few Europeans who were keen to chat to me about their various interests including one who I spent an hour with discussing the various merits of 50s film stars while nervously keeping an eye on the progress of the raer that he was sharing. Most bizarrely chatted to one guy who was extremely angry about something or other and turned out he lived 2 miles away. I kept that quiet though.