Record Store Day - grippage?

DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
edited April 2012 in Strut Central
Was nice to see my local shop busy, they had bands on all day, but I was working until midday so by the time I made it along this was the only RSD release I ended up grabbing (a single):

What did people grip? What did I miss?

Comments

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    My best 'find' was a $20 super clean mono of Blonde on Blonde, scooped from the Numero Group's pop-up shop. Not sure if I overpaid or underpaid (or correctly paid), but I put it on yesterday afternoon in my sunny family room with a glass of wine and it sounded just magical! I actually took the day off of work today to do nothing but chill out at home by myself and listen to RSD finds. As far as the day, in Chicago, Reckless on Milwaukee was slammin' a lot harder with casual shoppers than was the slightly more out-of-pocket pop-up on Western. Also caught a little bit of the soundcheck and performance of Otis Clay at Dusty Groove, with Otis singing and accompanied by a guitarist and dude on the keys, some really great moments there; the free popcorn, not so much ;).

• bennyboybennyboy 538 Posts
    Wandered round a few shops yesterday, seemed to be plenty left over, but didn't actually see anything worth picking up. The Luke Haines lp looked interesting but I'd only be buying it in an 'RSD exclusive' panic. Was there much of interest? Anyway, hope the shops did well.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I had to work all day, couldn't hit the shops...bit did anyone scoop the ric/ron 45 box set? Could you post a tracklist? Can't find a tracklist online..curious to see what was on it.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    bennyboy said:
    Was there much of interest?

Different shops had different stuff, but I might have been tempted by a vinyl copy of Where Were You In '92.

• bennyboybennyboy 538 Posts
    Nice - yeah, sure all the good stuff was gone, it was Sunday, couldn't face the saturday rush, on account of I was being hungovered at. Am browsing ebay now, to see what I should have bought. No liquid filled 12"s available, I noticed.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    I had to work all day, couldn't hit the shops...bit did anyone scoop the ric/ron 45 box set? Could you post a tracklist? Can't find a tracklist online..curious to see what was on it.

I grabbed that. I'll post a tracklist this evening.

Other records I picked up:

Light in the Attic's Stax 45 box (this was actually a gift from the record store I volunteer at)
    Mclusky Do Dallas (first pressing on vinyl that I'm aware of)
    Stooges - Raw Power (2LP with the Bowie and the Iggy mixes)
    Dr. John - Locked Down (such a great band ... Max Weissenfeldt, Nick Movshon, Leon Michels, etc)
    Tortoise - Lonesome Sound/Mosquito 2x7"

It was a fun day. My local shop (The Telegraph, New London, CT) had bands all day and I spun between sets. I haven't seen the numbers, but the shop tends to bring in what they usually make in a month. Record Store Day has been a great thing all around, in my experience.

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    i was on board to 100% not attend this year until i found out about some choice boxsets that "were" only apparently available during RSD, the Pharcyde boxset was gone when i finally got to the store (gutted), but i was able to get the Stax Boxset (10 45's) which was a wicked deal and i copped the Marley Marl - In Control Vol 1 on pick and blue vinyl w/slipmats.

i managed to get in and out in 20 minutes and spent less than $150.

the store was quite full so it looks like they had a great turnout, the band that was rockin out when i arrived was really dope simple set up of Drums and a Hammond organ i believe, i think i heard that there were 10 bands playing over the course of the whole day.

• The Numero Pop-Up Shop was out of control. I got some great deals. I found Rubber Soul and Magical Mystery Tour (both VG+) for about a dollar a piece. Dude said he just wanted to get rid of records, didn't care what they were worth. I was happy to oblige. Also there was a table of 45s, 5/$1, with stacks of NM Ebirac 45's. And if that wasn't enough, their Yacht Rock comp is ill.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    I got The Apostles 7".

Fantastic! Thx Voodoo Funk & Academy LPs.

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    Damn! i wish i was in Chicago for that Numero Pop-up.
    i wound up picking up the following while i was in Long Beach:
    Stax Box Set from LITA
    Pharcyde Box Set
    Larry Coryell - Spaces
    Miles Davis - Forever Miles
    James Brown There It Is/Pass The Peas Live 7"
    MC5/Afrika Bambaataa - Kick Out The Jams 7"
    You Be Illin 7"
    Odd Future - OF Tape Vol 2
    Adrian Younge 12"

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    Pistol_Pete said:

what does this sound like?

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    The only thing I really wanted was the Pharcyde Box and that sold out with the quickness at Amoeba Berkeley. Saw one guy get kicked out because of too much grip sweat, and another girl crying outside because her grip wasn't quick enough. Record Store Day is really becoming too much for me to handle. but they always manage to release 1 or 2 titles that I want. Ended up getting

Stax Box
    Apostles 7
    Shuggie Otis 7
    Chocolate Watch Band 7
    Numero comp
    Odd Future Tapes 2

I forgot about the Miles Davis LP. How is it?

Damn RSD got huge I guess...talked to the shop I used to manage...they 5 digits in sales! Said folks were lined up before 8 AM. Crazy!

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:

Al Johnson - Carnival Time / Carnival Time (demo)
    Al Johnson - Lena / Let Come What May (demo)
    Eddie Bo - Nothing Without You / Satisfied With Your Love
    Eddie Bo - Every Dog Has Its Day / Every Dog Has Its Day (demo)
    Eddie Bo - Ain't You Ashamed / I'll Do Anything For You
    Johnny Adams - I Won't Cry (audition) / Who Are You (audition), My Baby Done Closed The Door (audition)
    Johnny Adams - No Way Out For Me / Walking The Floor Over You
    Edgar Blanchard & The Gondoliers - Blues Cha Cha / Bopsody In Blues
    Paul Marvin - Hurry Up (alternate take) / Goofer
    Barbara Lynn - Found My Good Thing / Question Of Love

Snagglepus said:
    The_Hook_Up said:

Al Johnson - Carnival Time / Carnival Time (demo)
    Al Johnson - Lena / Let Come What May (demo)
    Eddie Bo - Nothing Without You / Satisfied With Your Love
    Eddie Bo - Every Dog Has Its Day / Every Dog Has Its Day (demo)
    Eddie Bo - Ain't You Ashamed / I'll Do Anything For You
    Johnny Adams - I Won't Cry (audition) / Who Are You (audition), My Baby Done Closed The Door (audition)
    Johnny Adams - No Way Out For Me / Walking The Floor Over You
    Edgar Blanchard & The Gondoliers - Blues Cha Cha / Bopsody In BluesI
    Paul Marvin - Hurry Up (alternate take) / Goofer
    Barbara Lynn - Found My Good Thing / Question Of Love

Cool, thanks man

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    SIRUS said:
    Pistol_Pete said:

haven't had the chance to listen to it yet. shop owner is a friend and he just gave it to me.

also got the shuggie otis 7" and The Rough Guide to Psychedelic Africa Comp.

• KadinkKadink Mainstream hip-hop is losing its street edge 98 Posts
    SIRUS said:
    Pistol_Pete said:

This was just a reissue of the original tracks on one disc.

• BallzDeepBallzDeep 612 Posts
    maru said:
    Saw one guy get kicked out because of too much grip sweat

hahaha

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    Anyone lucky enough to pick up the liquid filled Jack White release?

• calkutacalkuta 160 Posts

there was a record show where i live the day after so i only bought this...glad i saved my money for the next day though, got lots of good stuff

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    mynah birds 7"
    clash 7"
    flaming lips and fwends 2xLP (these are kind of amazing, full swirl vinyl no labels)
    devo live '81 lp
    jimmy fallon tebowie 7"
    james brown 7"
    mastodon/fiest 7"
    shuggie otis 7"
    black angels 7"
    lee hazelwood LHI years 2xLP (incredible cover, great music)

maybe some of these werent exclusives, but they were released that day. i dunno.

• facesdfacesd 236 Posts
    karlophone said:
    mynah birds 7"
    clash 7"
    flaming lips and fwends 2xLP (these are kind of amazing, full swirl vinyl no labels)
    devo live '81 lp
    jimmy fallon tebowie 7"
    james brown 7"
    mastodon/fiest 7"
    shuggie otis 7"
    black angels 7"
    lee hazelwood LHI years 2xLP (incredible cover, great music)

maybe some of these werent exclusives, but they were released that day. i dunno.

Karlophone,

How is the Shuggie Otis B-side cut "Magic".... heard reports it was the unreleased song "Special" under a different name? Very confusing. Been searching for clips since RSD but came up with nothing.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    How do you feel about the blessings of government regulation now Johnny A. They're coming for you next.