buying many crates out a storage unit question

tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
edited April 2012 in Strut Central
price is already fixed. roughly $1.50 a record, but i gotta take it all

my question...if you were dropping several grand, would you pull everything out and take stock of everything or decide based on an initial cross section of 10-15%? there were definitely some nice titles but my mental calculations has it hovering conservatively around the break even point + lots of dollarbincommon. condition seemed fine but may vary

Comments

• hey-unless that 10%-15% is so red hot that you can't walk away i say take stock of everything if you can or at least until the break even point, that way you know the rest is gravy. then again, i'm poor and being out a grand or two and getting stuck with a tonne of chud is someting i would really try to avoid.

has the unit been hit up before? is it a collection or a random accumulation? what was the best record you came accross there so far?

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    price is already fixed. roughly $1.50 a record, but i gotta take it all

my question...if you were dropping several grand, would you pull everything out and take stock of everything or decide based on an initial cross section of 10-15%? there were definitely some nice titles but my mental calculations has it hovering conservatively around the break even point + lots of dollarbincommon. condition seemed fine but may vary

I would look through as much as you possibly can, but it seems like you already checked it out quickly. My whole thing with buying collections is to make sure the few $$$ records in the collection pay for the initial cost, if not more. Dealing with the chud ($15 and below records let's say for the sake of argument) & middle range things should not factor into you making your money back in the deal at all. That's just bonus.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:

has the unit been hit up before? is it a collection or a random accumulation? what was the best record you came accross there so far?

hasnt been hit up. somewhat both collection and random accumulation.
    best things i saw were far from red hot, but pretty cool:

reggae crate i looked through was probably the most exciting.

• deleted./.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    What pressings are the Studio Ones?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Man I would be skeptical.

1.50 a record is nothing nice if youve got 1000s of records in the mix and no clear avenue to get that money back quick.

I mean, I look at collections all the days that I wouldn't take for 1.50 each.

That wailing souls record is a personal favorite but its worth maybe $60 if you have a clean JA orig. just saying

i feel you johnny, thats where i was at mentally. stoked to see some nice things, but skeptical that overall it wouldnt be a big old burden. a bunch of clean disco in there and many many more crates so i might have a more detailed look at everything and see if theres any rainmakers that would be difference makers.

how do i tell if the studio ones are og? blurry pics? thinner card stock?

thanks for the thoughts good people

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    thickness of the vinyl
    b/w
    label art design

coxsone used old covers for late 80's pressings, so judging a book by it's cover ....

wassup Tim!

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Dealing with the chud ($15 and below records let's say for the sake of argument) & middle range things should not factor into you making your money back in the deal at all.

Since when is a $15 record CHUD?

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    what rey (i think) said: take a look and figure out if you can break even by selling the higher end items. if there are easy sells that would pay for the investment, go for it. if not, proceed with caution. and yes, $1.5 each for that amount is not a great deal, IMO.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Just curious. Are there any loads like these that haven't been cherrypicked with the availability of Ebay and other online price gauging tools? Don't know a damn thing about buying collections but seems like that's a big investment to make considering the time and effort needed to break even.

hcrink said:
    Dealing with the chud ($15 and below records let's say for the sake of argument) & middle range things should not factor into you making your money back in the deal at all.

If you are looking to break even on a collection like this where you are investing $1,500 - $3,000, records that take excessive time and energy to milk profits from = CHUD in this case most definitely.

• MurdockMurdock 542 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    That wailing souls record is a personal favorite but its worth maybe $60 if you have a clean JA orig. just saying

My favorite too. That "Got to be cool" dub section kills me every time

Yeah if you're shaky on the intricacies of Studio One (and other reggae) pressing questions I would be doubly wary. You could be looking at an $8 record or an $80 record and just don't know.

As far as crates full of disco you haven't looked at yet... well, maybe there's some business in there.

But ultimately if it were me (and it often is) I would just make sure I had a plan. What's getting wholesaled, what's going on discogs or ebay, what's going to the personal collection (and does that make it harder to make your money back?), what can be dealt quickly, and hope it all adds up.

Personal anecdote: I recently looked at a 7000 piece collection that I could've gotten for about half what you're talking about, and I still passed. When the most valuable record is perhaps $50-60, and there's only a handful of those, and several thousand records only worth $1-3, and then some nice $15 meat-n-potatoes stock mixed in, think about how you're going to double or (ideally) triple your investment. If I were to put down $4k on something like that - less than $1/each - how am I realistically going to pull 12 racks out in any reasonable amount of time? And I have a retail store. So I'd think carefully about the big number, because sometimes people get caught up in the $/ea math and don't see the forest for the trees.

i agree completely. i'll probably take a closer look at the buried 90% and sort it out from there. 3 tech 1200s probably come with the deal

tripledouble said:
    3 tech 1200s

that's a nice score if they're clean. I just picked up a really crisp (like, fresh out the box-feeling) 1200 with a beautiful Marantz model 140

that was way better than any record I looked at in the same storage unit

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    if i had the cash i'd just do it...

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Indi_Lbl_HE@T said:
    hcrink said:

If you are looking to break even on a collection like this where you are investing $1,500 - $3,000, records that take excessive time and energy to milk profits from = CHUD in this case most definitely.

Solid $10-$20 titles are the most hassle free records to sell in the world. Slap a tag on it and put it in front of someone. I'll buy the shit out of that stuff all day long. It beats some fucking $100 record that only sells on the internet to insecure dudes that need clips of 8 songs, and their hands held, and for you to tell them that they're beautiful. THAT is excessive time and energy as far as I'm concerned.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    hcrink said:
    Indi_Lbl_HE@T said:
    hcrink said:

Solid $10-$20 titles are the most hassle free records to sell in the world. Slap a tag on it and put it in front of someone. I'll buy the shit out of that stuff all day long. It beats some fucking $100 record that only sells on the internet to insecure dudes that need clips of 8 songs, and their hands held, and for you to tell them that they're beautiful. THAT is excessive time and energy as far as I'm concerned.

this^

The_Hook_Up said:
    hcrink said:
    Indi_Lbl_HE@T said:
    hcrink said:

this^

+1

hcrink said:
    Indi_Lbl_HE@T said:
    hcrink said:

For the record I totally agree with you, Crinkles, but I'd personally rather be able to quickly take care of a collection by selling the better stuff on eBay and getting my money back within a couple weeks or so. Since I don't have a store or have access to a record swap every weekend I would prefer this approach for sure. I think most of the folks on here that have full time jobs other than gripping / flipping would agree.

all true
    my time and capabilities dont have me setting up at shows or mailing 200 $10 joints at the post office.
    but i do agree with you crinky
    i'ma spend an hour or two at the storage unit next week and see whats up

honored by thine info, soulstruts

tripledouble said:

i'ma spend an hour or two at the storage unit next week and see whats up

Good luck!