Caine's Arcade

billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
edited April 2012 in Strut Central

Caine's Arcade from Nirvan Mullick on Vimeo.

What a cool story.

Comments

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    that brought tears to my eye!

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    tripledouble said:

Honestly... me too. :cry:

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts
    Saw this on Worlds Best Ever this morning! : )

• Well, that was great. What an awesome kid, and what a wonderful father.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    tripledouble said:

The other eye was like "that was aiight."

• djwaxondjwaxon 411 Posts
    Fuck yeah, that's some serious feelgood factor right there

• Shouldn't this kid be doing his homework rather than jerking around?

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    I'll be That Guy.

The first half of this is pure gold. Anybody who knows a bright kid will immediately recognize that kind of mania--the kind that kids get after they start romaticizing the adult world, and after they begin to understand that the details are the key to that world, but before they understand much about what those details actually mean. It's a beautiful window that is open too briefly, and this video catches it perfectly.

The filmmaker kinda misses the point pretty thoroughly, though. It's so clear that what the kid is obsessed with, what he's breaking his back for, is authenticity. He doesn't want his arcade to be special--he wants it to be real. I think this would have been truer to the kid if all those people--instead of mobbing up all at once and painting signs and chanting and shit--would have trooped through separately in their own time and put their quarters up, just like you would at an actual arcade.

In my experience, making a kid feel special has a less significant and more fleeting effect than making them feel like they are being taken seriously.

Cool video, but somewhat tone-deaf.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    bushwick bill said:

• james said:
    I think this would have been truer to the kid if all those people--instead of mobbing up all at once and painting signs and chanting and shit--would have trooped through separately in their own time and put their fun pass with accurate working pin codes up

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Great story, rad kid, amazing father, terrible music.
    This type of dedication, creativity and focus - I want to know what he'll be up to 20 years from now!

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    downtownrobbrown said:
    Shouldn't this kid be doing his homework rather than jerking around?

I mean, seriously...less imagination and more arithmatic, dammit. And I noticed he displayed NO ability to write in cursive...today's youth is screwed.

--
    That kid is awesome and his Father seems to be super encouraging. This young man could grow up to make some fantastic shit...thanks for sharing.

• Good for the kid. Hope all this attention doesn't take away the sweetness.

$130k donated to his college fund in 3 days? That's really something, seems to have struck a chord w desk dwellers (like me) who were reminded of when their ideas ran the show.