Modern Soul

OligeeOligee 289 Posts
edited April 2012 in Strut Central
Not sure if there is specifically a modern soul thread. Wanted a place to post some jams and talk about what's good.

Jam.

Comments

• exte82exte82 202 Posts

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    Too many jams, not enough time.

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    i'm just getting into this kind of shit. just last night i was playing some whispers, precisely. the bins in mexico city are filled with 78-81major label soul / R&B in clean condition, don't know why, so i've picked up some stuff for a while. i'm a rookie, so feel free to school me all you want.

this has some solid moments, i think:

• paging Sport Casual!

:hi:

• NerdAlert said:

Jam.

You'd have to be a particular strain of cold-hearted human being to not smile while watching this video!

b/w

Is it Culver City? DTLA?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    There should be some very comprehensive Modern Soul threads if you SEARCH.

Please spare me the same 200 Whispers/Renee & Angela Utubes pleez.

• MurdockMurdock 542 Posts
    TheKindCromang said:
    NerdAlert said:

Jam.

You'd have to be a particular strain of cold-hearted human being to not smile while watching this video!

b/w

Is it Culver City? DTLA?

We play it in Culver City. More like Century City.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    batmon said:
    There should be some very comprehensive Modern Soul threads if you SEARCH.

Please for seqlz to Yacht Soul & Hamptons Revisit. Big dog make some barking as I am rattling that chain.

• Murdock said:
    We play it in Culver City. More like Century City.

CENTURY city!!! That's what I meant!! CENTURY city!!!!

SO STUPID!!!! ARRRRRGH!!!!

"Trenchcoat Soul Mafia"?

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    batmon said:

Bit ironic coming from you no? Drop some more Hyman or Bofill heat on us dude!

I am far from an expert on this stuff so I am still getting my kicks from the commons. But I won't say no to some raer.

field find

heatrock purchase

dollarbin

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Is the strut looking for a modern soul set sale?

SportCasual said:
    batmon said:

Bit ironic coming from you no? Drop some more Hyman or Bofill heat on us dude!

http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/15534/

http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/67377/

Minimal Yacht Soul Steez.....

LOCAL Black Exp Hamptons Steez...

Jheri Curl FONK.......

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    I always thought modern soul went a little further back than '79.

Here's a good example from 1976. Pasado is my joint.
    Attached files

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    am I right with this assumption?

R&B=50s-1965
    Soul=1965-1970
    Crossover=1970-1975
    Disco/Modern=1975-New Jack Swing
    ???

I'm always struggle to find the right drawer

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    finelikewine said:
    am I right with this assumption?
    Soul=1965-1970

Pretty much!

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Moddun = 73-78 kick drum souldisco, usually for the dancers.
    Modern Soul = 1978-86 (depending on how out of touch they were) Hair product, pleats, n satin sheets. But not really Prince.
    Moder = Guzzo Private Mind Garden 77-83 Smooth Boogie that connects/overlaps with the other two.

I dont think Soul is dead by 1970. I think it gets submerged by mid to late 70s.
    Modern means to me that its a carry over feeling during Disco. It was "dead" by the early 80s.

Black Radio was calling shit R&B in the mid eighties.

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts
    Well, if anything, there's definitely been a soul revival happening over the past few years. Some quality throwback sounds. Feeling that Adrian Younge record for instance and the last Onra.

• MurdockMurdock 542 Posts
    Most of this stuff is not modern soul. Like the Whispers and Glady's Knight tracks are more Boogie Funk. Modern Soul is around Mid-late 80's. Of course there are crossovers. But, Modern is usually more of a soft touch / 2-Step style.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Modern soul is a blind spot on this board. Dudes have an itch, but don't know where to scratch.

Anything funkier than Jan Jones "Independent Woman" ain't getting through the door.
    Anything more discofied than Bill Harris "Am I Hot, Am I Cold" gets turned away too.
    Modern is frozen in aspic at about 1980 imho, with later exceptions dwindling away like higher order prime numbers.
    By about early 90s, this lack of new and fresh forced gurus to resuscitate the likes of Chuck Jackson, Ronnie McNeir and Frances Nero with a new tech sound, that occasionally but superficially evoked former glories. It was all a bit forced and ultimately un-satisfying.
    The desire to find unknown oldies reached a frenzy, and average sounds were hyped up to big money by a chasing pack of grippers desperate not to be left without the next 'For Real' or Daybreak. Exportations, anyone? Pffft.

I turned away at this point, recognising stances were entrenched, the nights were populated by entirely the same faces just getting older, and that a significant number of forward thinking stalwarts were codifying a new classification that started including funkier and house-influenced tracks. Splitters!

We need a Modern head to state the truth.

It's about the beat, the "Bay-at", for me.

For me, a modern soul track is post-80 with synths and a sophisticated vibe. Anita Baker's "Rapture" is iconic for me.

Boogie as above, but with intentional dance tempo.

So like, a Rockie Robbins set has a bit of both.

J i m s t e r said:
    It's about the beat, the "Bay-at", for me.

For me, a modern soul track is post-80 with synths and a sophisticated vibe. Anita Baker's "Rapture" is iconic for me.

Boogie as above, but with intentional dance tempo.

So like, a Rockie Robbins set has a bit of both.

Trenchcoat Soul was the last "Soul" movement for me. those artists came out of the 70s and applied those stylings to R&B.

New Jack Swing takes over, Neo Soul then emerges with Hip Hop Soul.

The pocket for me is Late 70s/Early 80s.

Anita Baker was a throwback vibe which means there had to be a "dead" period.

I like playing the Genre game, but shit was just R&B to me in the 80s if you werent trying to ape Hip Hip synth patterns.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    First off like it, second I like to classify it as black synth {not excluding guitar} soul between late 84/early 85 to late 88/early 89 > sober uncle to faded nephew New Jack

• spcspc 534 Posts
    Some modern modern soul, friends of mine:

http://soundcloud.com/first-touch/toe-jammin

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    SportCasual said:
    Modern Soul = 1978-86 (depending on how out of touch they were) Hair product, pleats, n satin sheets. But not really Prince.
    Moder = Guzzo Private Mind Garden 77-83 Smooth Boogie that connects/overlaps with the other two.

So how come no Prince song can be classified as modern soul? Too funky? And what about Michael Jackson? Some of his songs are modern soul right?

phongone said:
    SportCasual said:

So how come no Prince song can be classified as modern soul? Too funky? And what about Michael Jackson? Some of his songs are modern soul right?

Im sorry but Thriller is not a Soul joint.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    batmon said:
    phongone said:
    SportCasual said:

Ouch! Was thinking more Rock Wit You and Baby Be Mine.

phongone said:
    batmon said:
    phongone said:
    SportCasual said:

Ouch! Was thinking more Rock Wit You and Baby Be Mine.

Off The Wall cool....
    Thriller - nah

Listen to him in Philly(Late 70s) w/ Gamble and Huff compared to the 80s Quincy Jones.