when the reissue beats the original...

milliondollarsmilliondollars 568 Posts
edited April 2012 in Strut Central
there's nothing like an OG album but in many cases reissues are so incredibly good that i don't even bother looking for the original...

post some incredible reissues of albums!

was looking fot this LP for a while:

i stumbled over the sundazed reissue on triple vinyl with a dozen of unreleased tunes, takes and demos in absolutely unbelievabel soundquality which made me forget the OG completely. absolute killer reissue!

any similar experience you made?

Comments

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

Brilliant record but an awful first press so far as I can tell. Went through three before finding a German reissue that sounded 10 times better.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    A reissue of a reissue, but what the hell:

This is a Delmark compilation of sides originally recorded for the Atomic-H label.

The album was good.

The CD reissue with the bonus tracks = excellent!!! Contains quite a few songs that collectors refer to as "black rock & roll," i.e. 1950s black performers in a Chuck Berry/rockabilly-type groove. Those cuts may have been left off the original due to Delmark's purist bias, but adding them to the reissue was a smart move.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    The original on Elektra wasn't bad. And the second printing on Sire was just as good, despite a Deadhead-ish cover. But Rhino wasn't fucking around.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    thanks for the info on wendy bonnie...just settled a conundrum
    in the same vein anyone have an opinion on linda perhacs reissue v OG

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Yeah, bonus tracks tip the scales for sure. They did a really top notch job with this one:

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    pcmr said:

Which one? I think it's been reissued 5 or 6 times on vinyl.

• I generally avoid comps and reissues, but just picked up a copy of the Ana Mazzotti RE on whatmusic, which I find to be very well done in terms of sound quality and packaging. Anyone know if it's done off masters? I figured $20 would be a good investment given the fact that I've never seen an original, probably never will, and wouldn't want to pay the going rate on it anyway.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    pcmr said:

which would you recommend the most?

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    pcmr said:
    Horseleech said:
    pcmr said:

which would you recommend the most?

Depends what you like.

The Sundazed is almost certainly the best sounding one. They found a production master in Germany (there was no German pressing, though), so it's the only one made from a master tape. Apparently they screwed up the EQ on the OG, so it's probably better than that as well.

Linda claims it's a bootleg because it's licensed from Universal, not her. I imagine Universal would claim that they never recouped their investment on the original release, which is not hard to believe either. Some of the other versions have additional demo cuts from a cassette Linda had also.

The packaging on the Merry Go Round is probably the nicest. Guerssen stuff is usually very well done, but I don't think they had tapes.

I'd probably file the Sundazed myself.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    sold!
    thanks for the feedback
    plus i can file a double order for perhacs and wendy/bonnie from sundazed (make it easier on my storeowner

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts
    The reissue of Harald Grosskopf's Synthesist on RVNG, Intl. is pretty nice.
    Attached files

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

• Manzel LP (Dopebrother). Has cool unreleased tracks and I think that the remixes are actually better than the originals.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    earthings said:
    Manzel LP (Dopebrother). I think that the remixes are actually better than the originals.

:NO:

• another must have OG-killer i can think of...

• leonleon 883 Posts
    I'm perfectly happy with my OG Woodard. How's this an 'Og killer'?

On a side note, i really hate it when i have to choose between the plain OG vinyl reissue when that label also issues a deluxe CD package with bonus tracks, extensive liner notes w. pics and sometemes video footage even.

• leon said:
    I'm perfectly happy with my OG Woodard. How's this an 'Og killer'?

music-wise the 2LP reissue is much better, did you ever check the difference?

• this is not exactly a reissue but i am tempted. couldn't find the thread with the dope box sets...