Soul Strut 100: # 87 - ESG - S/T (1981)

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited April 2012 in The Soul Strut 100
I will slowly be unveiling the Top 100 Soul Strut Related Records as Voted by the Strutters Themselves.

# 87 - ESG - S/T

Please discuss your reactions to this record. The thread will be archived later here.

Wikipidea

ESG (Emerald, Sapphire and Gold) are a band that emerged from the South Bronx, New York, U.S. in the early 1980s. Trouser Press called it "one of the most dynamic bands that New York could offer at the top of the '80s."[1] ESG have been influential across a wide range of musical genres, including hip hop, post-punk, disco, and dance-punk.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESG_(band)

Related Threads

ESG first lp

ESG LAST SHOW IN CHICAGO!!

Media

Comments

• Great EP! I slightly prefer '83's "Come Away with ESG".

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Still need an original copy of this.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts

Love ESG, works so well with this trailer

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Love it , mayne.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    dude that GLOW doc looks crazy!

yo i dont think ive heard any weak ESG songs. they fuckin killlllllll it across the board!
    and that cover is an absolute work of art, id b interested in knowing the story behind that

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Grandfather said:

Love ESG, works so well with this trailer

I can't say I expected a video like that to pop up in this thread. That's wacky stuff.

ESG, meanwhile, is great stuff. But I still need an OG of this album.

• b/w

"Sample Credits Don't Pay Our Bills!"

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    i know they put out house mixes of moody on their own label in the early 90's. i mean, they got sampled just as much in house as they did in hip hop. why the hatt for hiphop?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    the definition of raw (watch me use the same phrase when lee moses shows up)

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    This record rules, but I play every song at 33.

• SpacechoSpacecho 176 Posts
    TheKindCromang said:

What a great photo !

• stratasphere said:
    Still need an original copy of this.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    i dont remember who, where, or when, but someone once said that it sounds like the bass was played with a tombstone for a guitar pick. i love that

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Possum Tom said:
    i dont remember who, where, or when, but someone once said that it sounds like the bass was played with a tombstone for a guitar pick. i love that

i loved that quote because it describes it so well
    it was teh one paychex in the thread posted in the opening

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    Added to the spotify Sou Strut Top 100 playlist (unfortunatly the last two song are not available on it):

http://open.spotify.com/user/1121775350/playlist/54CR4Ce88uFkr6shaMHxVX

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    pcmr said:
    Possum Tom said:

i loved that quote because it describes it so well
    it was teh one paychex in the thread posted in the opening

He was explaining to me what I didn't get about the record. I definitely have come to appreciate it. Pretty damn timeless.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Nice!

I just saw them recently and it was supposedly their last show, for real for real this time. They still sound the same. Rad.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    love it!

• bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts
    Still need an OG of this.

A real important record to me UFO was on the first ever breaks tape I was given in
    85-86.
    It became a much loved sample in hip hop music.
    And now in 2012 I'm more into the disco/house side of things ESG are as reliant to me as ever.