5 Alive

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited March 2012 in Strut Central
The juice is loose:

1. My sweet, amazingly smart daughter turned 7 years old today!

2. My nephew Bryan Narcisse (of Clemson) will be in tonight's NCAA Slam Dunk Contest. Check him out on ESPN if you get the chance...

3. Yesterday, I got to meet Ricky Williams. He's running an afterschool program here in Austin, so we even had things to talk about...

4. Looking forward to a friend's house party Saturday night with an afro-beat band in tow.

5. Right along with the Strut 100, I've been revisiting my record collection quite a bit lately. It's nice to have such a treasure trove at my fingertips. Also, been pulling records for a friend's wedding coming up here pretty soon, which has also been fun.

Comments

• Strong five, my dude. Congrats.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    You blaze with Ricky?

• POSI - CORE!

:killin_it:

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Nice!

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Yeah, strong five right there. Love to see Strutters doing well like that. My 5 Alive (I thought that stuff was naaaaasty as a kid, though--Capri Sun all the way!):

1. One month from now, I'll be in Italy. Fuck yeah!

2. Very cool real-world moves on the not-too-distant horizon (don't wanna speak on things until they're done--I'm superstitious like that--but 2012 is looking to be an outstanding year).

3. My New Year's resolution was to get better at rocking the SP-1200. So far so good on that resolution.

4. Doing well on the exercise tip, on that elliptical 4-5 times a week, knocking out some really solid workouts. I feel great afterward, and I feel justified in eating meals that aren't the pinnacle of healthiness because hey, it all balances out, right?

5. Speaking of health, the tumor my mom had turned out to be nothing more than a benign cyst, and my dad has recovered so well from his recent back surgery that he was able to take a 12-hour flight last week. Good news all around.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    jjfad027 said:
    You blaze with Ricky?

No, but after 8 years of him not eating any meat whatsoever, he knocked down a plate of chicken wings.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    1. Flipped a record for four digits, was able to buy a bunch of wants and pay some bills, so my next paycheck will be all fun money...should save it, but who knows what I will do with it.

2. at age forty, I am finally eating my vegetables and actually craving them..never in my life did I ever think I would say to myself.."man, I could really go for some kale right now"

3. My wife and dogs never cease to put a smile on my face.

4. Got a great trip planned for August to get out of hot ass humid weather we will no doubt have...flying to Seattle, spending a few days there and then taking the train from Seattle to Glacier National Park for a week and the train back to Seattle for a few more days, should be nice.

5. Looking forward to some shows, which is a rare thing as i don't go to a whole of shows anymore...The Telescopes(!!!) and the Melvins...guess i need to get some earplugs...also, although not confirmed yet but the station manager is setting it up, hopefully Dale and Buzzo from the Melvins will be on my radio show on their trek through Memphis...

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    The juice is loose:

1. My sweet, amazingly smart daughter turned 7 years old today!

2. My nephew Bryan Narcisse (of Clemson) will be in tonight's NCAA Slam Dunk Contest. Check him out on ESPN if you get the chance...

3. Yesterday, I got to meet Ricky Williams. He's running an afterschool program here in Austin, so we even had things to talk about...

4. Looking forward to a friend's house party Saturday night with an afro-beat band in tow.

5. Right along with the Strut 100, I've been revisiting my record collection quite a bit lately. It's nice to have such a treasure trove at my fingertips. Also, been pulling records for a friend's wedding coming up here pretty soon, which has also been fun.

This is all hella rad, but I was hoping it would include some talk of the juice.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    1. Building a Custom Home on a Lake
    2. Stepping up my Photography Game??? something I've been wanting to do for a long time.
    3. Tucson to Rocky Point Mexico in 4 days.
    4. Playing guitar in a "Band" again
    5. Soul Strut 100

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Great to hear positive ish from the Strut. I'm hoping next week brings some 5 alive's my way, cuz this week was all about a 1 dead...

Out of absolutely nowhere... with no warning signs, reason, or explanation... I was dumped by my girlfriend on Monday... brutally... over email... which I read while in a big meeting.

:oof: :shitty: :hated_it:

It was especially weird considering that she wrote me a handwritten love letter every day last week telling me how happy she was. I haven't seen a backside 180 like that since the first X-Games!

Sorry to go neg the thread... I'm still in venting mode. Bring on the positive.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    RAJ said:

3. Tucson to Rocky Point Mexico in 4 days.

Damn it. I'll be in Guatemala.

FortyFivan said:
    Great to hear positive ish from the Strut. I'm hoping next week brings some 5 alive's my way, cuz this week was all about a 1 dead...

Out of absolutely nowhere... with no warning signs, reason, or explanation... I was dumped by my girlfriend on Monday... brutally... over email... which I read while in a big meeting.

:oof: :shitty: :hated_it:

It was especially weird considering that she wrote me a handwritten love letter every day last week telling me how happy she was. I haven't seen a backside 180 like that since the first X-Games!

Sorry to go neg the thread... I'm still in venting mode. Bring on the positive.

Same thing happened to me a few months back. A few more months passed and we started to see each other again pretty heavily. And then she did it again, just a couple of weeks ago. The first time, it bothered me and had my mind scrambling wondering what I possibly did wrong. The 2nd time, it just made me laugh.

Women.

HarveyCanal said:
    Women.

Can't live with 'em... can't kill 'em

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    1. I just celebrated my 10 year wedding anniversary with my wife. We rented out this dump for the weekend.

2. My wife gave me a smoker as our anniversary gift. I can't wait to smoke some meat. :pasue:

3. My twins are 2 and a half years old today. Watching them grow up is the best thing ever.

4. I brewed beer again for the first time in months. Can't wait to crack open the first bottle of this honey blonde ale.

5. The record gods have been good to me so far this year. I hope it continues.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    FortyFivan said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    Women.

Here's some inspirations that will get you through the 5 stages of anger.

1. Recognise there are 5 stages of anger, ignore cries to 'move on' and such shit. Take the opportunity to vent, do it long, do it often. You WILL get bored of it but you have to go through it.

2. Be righteously furious, and convert that into feverish activity.

3. Good karma, open doors rather than close them, be alert to stunning developments and remember: free at last.

4.Remember the bad things about her and the relationship, list them, and read them over until you're done.

5. Massive results require massive actions. So take them. This is NOT a rehearsal.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Hey y' all,

Here's my top 5, gotta say this week was pretty top notch for me!

1. Inked the contract for my new job! A pretty serious upgrade, got a management job now in the IT field,

2. Doing a lot of gardening; new plants, garden table, shed etc.,

3. Got a new bike for commuting,

4. Found the first two Traffic albums on pink Island label for next to nothing,

5. Saw the 'classic album' doc about The Band's s/t album. Kept me singing and going back to their albums whole week.

skel said:
    FortyFivan said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    Women.

Here's some inspirations that will get you through the 5 stages of anger.

1. Recognise there are 5 stages of anger, ignore cries to 'move on' and such shit. Take the opportunity to vent, do it long, do it often. You WILL get bored of it but you have to go through it.

2. Be righteously furious, and convert that into feverish activity.

3. Good karma, open doors rather than close them, be alert to stunning developments and remember: free at last.

4.Remember the bad things about her and the relationship, list them, and read them over until you're done.

5. Massive results require massive actions. So take them. This is NOT a rehearsal.

Word up... that's good stuff right there. I'll take a crack at it here...

1. I actually take a little pleasure in venting... feels good to go a little ballistic sometimes when I'm expected to be "on" all the time... professionally and personally.

2. I spent the last 3 nights up all night finally learning how to use the damn MPC. I may have been a little hard on the pads, though.

3. Truth

4. On paper she was terrible for me... high school dropout, only works about 10 hours a week as a hairdresser, is from Sacramento (sorry), has a ton of suspect tattoos (.45 magnum down her side, etc.), and horribly bitchy, psychotic friends. While together, I looked past all of that and didn't judge her for any of it because she was really such a sweetheart and I thought she genuinely liked me for me (unlike the last girlfriend who only liked the "idea" of me)... but now it all seems so clear. Her only reasoning for ending the relationship was that she didn't feel comfortable in my "posh" and "fancy" lifestyle. Ha! Nobody has ever called me posh or fancy before. I just had a birthday party at Chuck E Cheese for f*ck's sake.

5. This is my specialty!

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    damn 45an...keep your head up buddy. ive found its easy to get over girls you are into, but not always that easy getting them off your mind, if that makes any sense. stay busy!!

tripledouble said:
    damn 45an...keep your head up buddy. ive found its easy to get over girls you are into, but not always that easy getting them off your mind, if that makes any sense. stay busy!!

Thanks homie... I'll be just fine. There's no way to say this without sounding like :the_mack: but I'm actually quite good at being single! I just don't really want to be anymore. Maybe that's why I fell a little too hard for the last 2. Gotta be cautious out there in today's world.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    FortyFivan said:
    is from Sacramento (sorry)

Lol!

Life's been a little lackluster for me, but I'm searching for the silver lining.

1. Skin not so dry/flakey/sensitive this week. Major improvement.
    2. Had the house to myself, watched about 15 movies.
    3. Purged and re-organized my art supply stash. Now I have space for new stuff.
    4. Good friend's birthday tomorrow.
    5. Might actually finish the regression analysis for my thesis this weekend.

FortyFivan said:
    is from Sacramento (sorry)

Lol!

Life's been a little lackluster for me, but I'm searching for the silver lining.

1. Skin not so dry/flakey/sensitive this week. Major improvement.
    2. Had the house to myself, watched about 15 movies.
    3. Purged and re-organized my art supply stash. Now I have space for new stuff.
    4. Good friend's birthday tomorrow.
    5. Might actually finish the regression analysis for my thesis this weekend.

Double. That's how excited I am.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    1. Off to Argentina on a music tour on Easter Monday, but have to get a lot done before then.
    2. Getting good reviews for a show I've been playing bass in all week.
    3. Got some cool 45s in the mail today.
    4. Looking forward to a cruisy saturday tomorrow.
    5. Finally got a lead on a petrol tank for one of my motorcycles, fingers crossed.....

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    1 London's bathed in sunshine
    2 Our cat has learned to shit in the annoying neighbour's garden rather than ours.
    3 Just been invited to spend a week with good friends in beautiful house in the south of France
    4 My terminally ill car seems to be surviving against all odds and appearances
    5 'Lost' an account for a bullying client who spends next nothing and is a massive pain in the arse
    6 Did I mention it's sunny?

Yes, so Bryan did a great job in the dunk contest last night. He was first to go and set it off with a between-the-legs dunk that had the rest of the contestents visibly shook. He made it into the 2nd round and while his Larry Nance tribute dunk kinda flopped, he then landed a perfect score from the judges on a put-back dunk off of the time-clock. He barely missed out on making the final, although beating James Justice would have been tough. My daughter was especially pleased to watch her cousin dancing and doing his thing on tv, in New Orleans no less.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I don't normally get involved with these, but what the hell...

1: In just under two weeks' time, I'll have been a Berlin resident for a year. No regrets whatsoever. It's a beautiful city, the people are nice and the quality of life is way beyond what we were used to back in London. Really looking forward to the summer, too.

2: Finally working my way out of what was a very rough period at the end of 2011 going into 2012. Still plenty of shit, but at least I've now got a shovel.

3: Writing again. A friend just landed the editorship of one of the big music monthlies in the UK and has given me a heap of work already.

4: Seeing my peoples doing well, catching breaks and having their hard work and talent rewarded makes me happy. Fuck that "we hate it when our friends become successful" noise.

5: Plenty of evidence to suggest that right now rap is in better shape overall than it has been for a long time. Many of you will dispute this, but I think standards are up right across the board. If you feel that there's nothing out there for you, then it's my feeling that you're not looking hard enough.