Hunger Games (movie-R)

parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
edited March 2012 in Strut Central
Has anyone seen it? Worth checking out?

Kindly,
parallax

Comments

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    I enjoyed it a lot, but would not recommend it if you haven't read the book. I thought the movie was pretty true to the events in the book, and I was surprised by the somber tone the film had. My biggest gripe is that there were too many close-ups, which in HD, make it hard for my eyes to focus. I admit to tearing up during the Rue scene, but then again, I'm a big nerd who probably got "into it" more than I needed to.

If you read and liked the book, go watch it.
    If you haven't, don't waste your time. It would be mediocre at best without the background.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Battle Royale

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    I saw it without reading the book(s) first and found it pretty enjoyable. In fact, I am going back to read the books now.

A few things really frustrated me about the "game", but maybe thats just the lawyer in me.

Not to thread-hijack...but what would you say is the better way to go (generally speaking): read the book first then see movie, or see movie first then read book?

90% of the time the book is way better, and seeing the movie just makes you mad. Other times, the movie is excellent but maybe doesn't stay true to the book and so the book is a disappointment? Also there is that nagging issue of not being able to lose the image of the actors cast in the movie.

Other times, the movie hits the spot as a great companion to the book (i.e. the Road)

What say you, Soulstrut? Book first or movie first?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    date i went to the movie with read the first book and she kept on going OMG on some not fully representing shit
    idk whether it was significant or not but it happened enough for me to notice

@Holla: Book first, just so you can catch on to all the small symbols and motifs. For instance, the movie made no mention what the mockingjay represents (it's a symbol of rebellion, as the mockingjay bird hybrid was a gov't scheme gone awry). Glad to hear it was enjoyable for you, though, despite not having read the book.

@Patrick: At almost 2 hours long, I forgive any lack of full representation. The characters and overall plot line were pretty true to the books, IMO. The book isn't particularly long, so the movie can only develop the story so far without taking too much creative license.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    batmon said:
    Battle Royale

I hear you. I watched BR back in the 90's on the strength of it being one of Tarantino's favourites and I enjoyed it. But it's been a longtime since then. Lots of hype with this movie, so I'm wondering if it's worth it. Seems so.

parallax said:
    batmon said:
    Battle Royale

I hear you. I watched BR back in the 90's on the strength of it being one of Tarantino's favourites and I enjoyed it. But it's been a longtime since then. Lots of hype with this movie, so I'm wondering if it's worth it. Seems so.

Twilight geeks

• batmon said:
    Battle Royale

One of my all-time favorites. I actually came upon this film by mistake, but I fell in love with it at first viewing. I understand how people compare Battle Royale to The Hunger Games, but I think that both films can be enjoyed and appreciated for what they both bring individually.

But I will say this. Battle Royale 2 was terrible. Give me Beat Takeshi as the schoolteacher anyday. But my friend is taking me to see The Hunger Games this weekend, so I'm looking forward to it.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    batmon said:
    Battle Royale

Yes. Classic.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    I enjoyed it.

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    Almond said:

If you read and liked the book, go watch it.
    If you haven't, don't waste your time. It would be mediocre at best without the background.

A lot of people don't read books, and they will still enjoy the movie. Besides, if the author is the screenwriter, I would assume that the omissions are more or less deliberate, even if it's Hollywood.

I've done the "read the book, watch the film adaptation" (and vice versa) thing countless times, and I agree, it can enhance my experience or detract from it. But most times that has very little to do with how most people will react to a movie.

And Battle Royale was cool, but the director's earlier yakuza movies are where it's really at.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Almond said:

And Battle Royale was cool, but the director's earlier yakuza movies are where it's really at.

No doubt! Fukasaku Kinji's Battles Without Honor and Humanity series is amazing. I've got them all on DVD in the limited edition metal box set.

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Was there a Winter's Bone thread? Been on the Jennifer Lawrence bus since then, with the mystery only increasing when she played Mystique. Winter's Bone is a late entry into the Hillbilly Film Cannon, very good!

• batmon said:
    parallax said:
    batmon said:
    Battle Royale

Twilight geeks

Yes and yes. The worst kind, too.

http://www.thegrio.com/specials/the-dish/hunger-games-fans-outraged-over-black-characters.php

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    I saw this at a drive in the other night, and I've never read the books.

I thought the first 1/2 to 2/3 of the movie was good, but overall it was an extremely predictable story in regards to the characters and their outcomes. I'm not just talking about the lead character, I'm talking about everyone in the film. While I wouldn't know otherwise, I have to assume something was lost in translation between the book and film. There were a few scenes where I think I was supposed to feel empathy but didn't, and the ending was far from climactic. The actual "games" sucked. I basically think everything leading up to the games was good.

Anyhow, having been a fan of Battle Royale since it came out I will say they are very similar, but I wonder if maybe HG has a better underlying story outside of the romance. That aspect was too predictable and somewhat corny. If I had to summarize in short, it felt like Battle Royale crossed with Twilight or the OC. I think I left BR with more of a "wow" factor, where as I left HG wondering why the games themselves weren't that entertaining to me. I'd still take BR over HG, but I think HG has a lot of things going for it outside of the actual fights/battles. That being said, it shits on that horrible "Battle Royale 2" that I spent $40 to import back when it dropped...lol

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,083 Posts
    "Bloodlust", yo! "The Green Slime" and the 3-hour version of "Virus" are probably one of the most strangely entertaining movies I have ever seen

• Liked it, liked the book better. The one thing that really annoyed me was the ShakyCam/Blurry steez.

Every fight scene is a massive blur. And is it really too much to ask to put that camera on a tripod for closeups?

Otherwise well done, and I liked the understated style it had.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    OptimusLime said:

Every fight scene is a massive blur. And is it really too much to ask to put that camera on a tripod for closeups?

That bothered me, too. I'm sure that had to do with keeping it PG-13 for the $$$. It would have been better if it was rated R.

street_muzik said:
    OptimusLime said:

That bothered me, too. I'm sure that had to do with keeping it PG-13 for the $$$. It would have been better if it was rated R.

street_muzik said:
    OptimusLime said:

Same. Left the theatre with a big headache. Too many close-ups in general. Really didn't need to see every freckle on those kids' faces.

street_muzik said:
    OptimusLime said:

Same. Left the theatre with a big headache. Too many close-ups in general. Really didn't need to see every freckle on those kids' faces.