Soul Strut 100: #88 - Leroy Hutson - Hutson (1975)

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited March 2012 in The Soul Strut 100
I will slowly be unveiling the Top 100 Soul Strut Related Records as Voted by the Strutters Themselves.

#88 - Leroy Hutson - Hutson

Please discuss your reactions to this record. The thread will be archived later here.

Wikipidea

Released on Curtom Records in 1975, Hutson illuminates the fickleness and unpredictable nature of the music business. Leroy Hutson seemed to have it all going for him; he replaced Curtis Mayfield in The Impressions, then branched out solo, was a friend of Donny Hathaway (who also worked for Mayfield at the time), and was given carte blanche to produced hits -- with the help of others -- for himself. The biorhythms must have been out of whack, because it never really happened for the talented guy. This is a fine effort with bouncy tunes, stirring ballads, and crack productions -- yet the masses never heard it. Best bets: All. But special mention to "Lucky Fellow," "All Because of You," and "So Much Love.".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hutson_(album)

Related Threads

Leroy Hutson Appreciation (RR)

Leroy Hutson: All Because of You (bad 45 edit?)

Media

Comments

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    This??? Huston II and Feel the Spirit will never leave the Expedite.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    A favourite.

• The intro to "Lucky Fellow" ALONE warrants a spot on this countdown! Great record with superb production.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I prefer II.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    RAJ said:

absolutely
    this Leroy was one i checked out because of SS and got the rest via bonus in setsales on here as well (props to drewn)
    this record consolidated my interest in moder as well all around amazing from the production to the songwriting and interpretation

Where can I get ahold of Paycheck's Hutson mix?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Cant Stay Away

batmon said:
    Cant Stay Away

Fucking Beautiful

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    The first Leroy LP I got and still my favorite one. So many good tunes.

Cool Out is such a divine track.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    RAJ said:
    hutson, hutson II and love oh love are all solid. i think i like love of love the most

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Brilliant. Brilliant. Brilliant.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    I prefer II.

They both are amazing but I'll take II over I any day.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Leroy Hutson has never really done it for me, on any of his LPs. Take it or leave it really.

holmes said:
    Leroy Hutson has never really done it for me, on any of his LPs. Take it or leave it really.

BAN

• i got this off a strutter in a trade who reccomended it to me. whoever that was, thanks.

whole album works but i am known to play "lucky fellow" on repeat.

• debardebar 215 Posts
    RAJ said:

anyone have an extra copy of this or II?

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Strutters,

This is an absolutely FANTASTIC LP. Likewise, my joint off of it is "Lucky Fellow", which I feature on my "Stacks Gettin' Funky" mix. Leroy Hutson is such a wonderful singer, musician, producer, and arranger. It boggles my mind as to why he never blew up like crazy.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    batmon said:
    holmes said:

BAN

He said the same thing about Donny Hathaway to. :shame_on_you:

Big_Stacks said:
    It boggles my mind as to why he never blew up like crazy.

I would love to see an Unsung about him.

What do u think his problem was?

Was Curtom not able to promote him? Payola? Who was Curtoms distributer?

Disco emergence killing off a carried over Soul generation?

All the music heads i know praise this dude.

Truth fully i never heard about him until the 90s.
    None of his joints got played on the Local Blax Exp radio in the 80s.

They put out most of his joints in the early 00s on CD and he still didnt get a "revival".

• CastenedaCasteneda 100 Posts
    Actually, I found both this album and "II" in mint condition at a Goodwill recently. Both great albums, can't really pick one over the other.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I'm pleased to see Hutson in here though kind of surprised that it's not Love Oh Love (unless that's going to be making an appearance higher up the list?).

Regardless, I ride for his entire catalogue (though it's obviously a bit more hit and miss by the time of Paradise). I only found out about him in the late nineties after a friend gave me a copy of Hutson II. Before that he was unknown to me:

batmon said:

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    batmon said:
    Big_Stacks said:
    It boggles my mind as to why he never blew up like crazy.

What do u think his problem was?

Was Curtom not able to promote him? Payola? Who was Curtoms distributer?

Disco emergence killing off a carried over Soul generation?

All the music heads i know praise this dude.

Truth fully i never heard about him until the 90s.

They put out most of his joints in the early 00s on CD and he still didnt get a "revival".

Hey Batmon,

I think it was a case of (a) disco overtaking soul music in the late 70s, and (b) lack of effective promotion by Curtom. I can't believe how many people I know have never heard Leroy Hutson's music. Here's another one of my joints off of Hutson II:

Sooooooo, silky!!! Now, all I need is a snifter of Grand Marnier.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    leroy hutson is a champ!!
    I & II hold equal weight in my opinion. love oh love a touch less. feel the spirit, closer to the source also have plenty strong moments. besides the occasional break and obviously infectious groove, his records seem to me to more built toward extended listening and appreciation of overall orchestration.

i get confused about Curtom production. there was rich tufo and hutson. did curtis produce? what else was hutson on? who produced "super people" and the notations album?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    RAJ said:
    Where can I get ahold of Paycheck's Hutson mix?

Not mixed per se, but here is the personal "best of" that I threw together a number of years ago.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/liznid

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    thanks johnny

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Whatever happened to Hutson, anyway?

Considering the revival of interest in 70s soul, this is a strange time for him to be a recluse.

pickwick33 said:
    Whatever happened to Hutson, anyway?

Considering the revival of interest in 70s soul, this is a strange time for him to be a recluse.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    Can someone give me the low down the non LP version of lucky fellow? It has a sharper early 80s or later production feel to it (poorer imo). "From the vaults" discovery? later remix ? contemporary 7" alternative version ?

• It boggles my mind as to why he never blew up like crazy.[/]

Always wondered about this. Never heard Frankie Crocker, etc. playing any of Hutsons stuff. Only ever heard him on Rythm Review...Kinda Weird.

I do recall 'Cool Out' as the regular background music during either WBLS or Kiss FMs Night Time slots in the early 90s.

The DJ would talk over it during breaks.