KONY 2012

Comments

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Frank said:
    cursed by a powerful witch doctor.

One of my first thoughts was that a Kony cronie had drugged him, but this is a far more interesting explanation.

• If Jason Russell doesn't come out as gay I'll be amazed.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    This musical is awesome! Skip to 5:20 to see some next level breakin!

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    CIA hit him with the crazy ray.

• sticky_dojah said:
    As long as there is one more person on this planet that knows where Uganda is, that campaign is a good thing.

i've read reams of criticism about this group ranging from intelligent and convincing to hateful and sad.
    these kids filmed their microscopic direct action in 2006. it didn't change the world, but i bet the kids learned something and grew in the process.

if it makes you sick to see kids learning about the planet and doing something, that's on you.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    novocaine132 said:

it didn't change the world, but i bet the kids learned something and grew in the process.

Ha ha ha.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    i just really hate all the over the top this is just a video to prepare the invasion of africa by the US that make me question some of my facebook aquaintances IQ

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    "But, as Jezebel's own Erin Gloria Ryan put it, "Wasn't the entire Kony 2012 campaign essentially this white guy masturbating in public?""

haha! Perfect analysis!

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    How is it that some people here who typically despise the Religious Right are supporting a group that is praised, supported and likely run by people within the Religious Right?

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    How is it that some people here who typically despise the Religious Right are supporting a group that is praised, supported and likely run by people within the Religious Right?

Thank you!

There has never been any shortage of well meaning white people trying to save children in Africa and more often than not the real intentions are gaining religious influence. Not to mention that many of these so called aid groups a crawling with all sorts of predators.

It is bizarre to me how anybody could think that any form of aid that finances or gives supplies to armed groups, be it rebels or government troops might be a good idea and only a complete idiot could watch this cringe-inducing viral video and think this would be something worthy of support.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Rockadelic said:

Thank you!

There has never been any shortage of well meaning white people trying to save children in Africa and more often than not the real intentions are gaining religious influence. Not to mention that many of these so called aid groups a crawling with all sorts of predators.

It is bizarre to me how anybody could think that any form of aid that finances or gives supplies to armed groups, be it rebels or government troops might be a good idea and only a complete idiot could watch this cringe-inducing viral video and think this would be something worthy of support.

You can save more lives in Central Africa by supplying condoms or malaria nets but of course that wouldn't be doing the lord's work. True Christians send cash for guns.

• not to turn this debacle into more of a clichee than it already is, but it reminds me of the old aphorisms:

"the road to hell is paved with good intetions"

and

"hell is full of good meanings, but heaven is full of good works"

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    All Americans know is military intervention. Even when its our own military intervention causing the problem, the solution is always: go ahead and throw some more military intervention at it.

Seriously, it's bad enough that that's exactly what the corporo-banking elite who run this country want at every turn. But how easy could it possibly be for them to turn the so-called "well-intentioned" into war-mongering cheerleaders?

A 3-second video that simply said "BAD NON-WHITE GUY: SIC 'EM" woulda been just as effective.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Frank said:
    Rockadelic said:

Thank you!

You can save more lives in Central Africa by supplying condoms or malaria nets but of course that wouldn't be doing the lord's work. True Christians send cash for guns.

Couldn't have put it any better than this.

White guilt is a hell of a drug.

neil_something said:
    If Jason Russell doesn't come out as gay soon he'll have a breakdown due to a lifetime of denial

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Rockadelic said:

I thought it was Rush Limbaugh who supported the LRA?

:cry:

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    neil_something said:
    If Jason Russell doesn't come out as gay soon he'll have a breakdown due to a lifetime of denial

There was something weirdly vacant and angry about this guy that reminded me of super-mucho-and-fake Tom Cruise that I couldn't quite put my finger on, but I think you nailed it.

• this guy reminds of that dude in "grizzly man"...

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    this guy reminds me of that dude in "You don't mess with the Zohan"...

Horseleech said:
    Frank said:

One of my first thoughts was that a Kony cronie had drugged him, but this is a far more interesting explanation.

Of course I laughed at this when I read it as I think this sort of Voodoo shit is a joke.

I asked a young guy from the Ivory Coast that works for me who is the nephew of Laurent Gbagbo if he believed in the power of a Witch Doctor.

This is a highly educated guy with 2 degrees and working on his third......he looked me square in the eye and said "It's real".

I still don't believe, but then again I don't believe in a supreme being either but am willing to be proved wrong on both/either count.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    Horseleech said:
    Frank said:

Of course I laughed at this when I read it as I think this sort of Voodoo shit is a joke.

I asked a young guy from the Ivory Coast that works for me who is the nephew of Laurent Gbagbo if he believed in the power of a Witch Doctor.

This is a highly educated guy with 2 degrees and working on his third......he looked me square in the eye and said "It's real".

I still don't believe, but then again I don't believe in a supreme being either but am willing to be proved wrong on both/either count.

I was only half joking with my "theory". Could be that it's how his family says and dude was just dehydrated and exhausted and needed a glass of water and a good nap but his behavior how it was described by eye witnesses and, what can be seen on the video clip... naked or in briefs, pounding onto the pavement and on the roof of cars, yelling and screaming in jibberish but being non-aggressive when approached, the resemblance to those "cursed maniancs" I've seen over there is eerie. To any outsiders, those cases are probably just untreated mental illness and maybe they are right. To me personally, there's really no question that this stuff is real. There's a lot of bogus shit out there that's just scams, smoke & mirrors and hokus-pokus and that's what most people ever get exposed to but there most definitely also is the "real thing". Did you show the TMZ video to your Ivorian employee? Ask him where he would go to do this to somebody and he most likely will mention the area around N'Zerekoure just North of Ivory Coast in the forest region of East Guinea.

Frank said:
    Rockadelic said:
    Horseleech said:
    Frank said:

I was only half joking with my "theory". Could be that it's how his family says and dude was just dehydrated and exhausted and needed a glass of water and a good nap but his behavior how it was described by eye witnesses and, what can be seen on the video clip... naked or in briefs, pounding onto the pavement and on the roof of cars, yelling and screaming in jibberish but being non-aggressive when approached, the resemblance to those "cursed maniancs" I've seen over there is eerie. To any outsiders, those cases are probably just untreated mental illness and maybe they are right. To me personally, there's really no question that this stuff is real. There's a lot of bogus shit out there that's just scams, smoke & mirrors and hokus-pokus and that's what most people ever get exposed to but there most definitely also is the "real thing". Did you show the TMZ video to your Ivorian employee? Ask him where he would go to do this to somebody and he most likely will mention the area around N'Zerekoure just North of Ivory Coast in the forest region of East Guinea.

He didn't say where but he did say that it had to be someone who knew the victim that went to the Witch Doctor to request the spell.

bassie said:

Yes.^^^

And I'm now convinced of the Witch Doctor theory.

Dehydration? Exhaustion? It's been days now, haven't they given the dude a drink of water and a good night's sleep?

I think he's got the hex, and the irony is that they'll probably have to give KONY a million or so to get it lifted.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    bassie said:

this this this

serious whiteman butthurt gold in the comments.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I spent a lot of time in Africa with Peace Corps kids. I was in Uganda, too.

The Peace Corps kids fell squarely into two camps: those who "got it" (usually 1-2 yr vets) and those who actually thought they were helping (usually newbies or hopeless cases).

But even the Peace Corps kids harbored a special disdain for the shiny white Land Rover people, the ones who were actually kinda PAID off this isht.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    I thought this would sizzle quickly, but am surprised by the rate at which KONY 2012 is losing face.

• Rockadelic said:
    Frank said:
    Rockadelic said:
    Horseleech said:
    Frank said:

He didn't say where but he did say that it had to be someone who knew the victim that went to the Witch Doctor to request the spell.

Seems like the witchdoctor theory has started to catch on:
    http://www.tmz.com/2012/03/24/kony-jason-russell-voodoo-video/#.T23pQZjmuJs

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts

'Kony 2012' Exec Joked About Keeping $900k Donation for Himself

One of the heads of Jason Russell's Invisible Children organization made a video after the charity won a $1 million grant ... in which he appears to be drunk and joking about keeping $900,000 for himself.

TMZ has obtained the clip ... featuring Jedidiah Jenkins, the Director of Ideology for the charity dedicated to hunting down African warlord Joseph Kony.

The footage appears to be shot in 2010 ... right after Invisible Children won the $1 million grand prize in the Chase Community Giving Facebook competition.

In the video, Jenkins is holding a handle of Smirnoff vodka ... and slurs to the camera, "I don't know if you heard this or not ... but we won a ... we won a million dollars so ... pretty rad."

After chugging from the bottle, Jenkins continues ... "a hundred thousand for Haiti and $900,000 in extra for me."

As for the Haiti reference ... the contest was held one week after the earthquake in Haiti and Invisible Children had promised to give $100k to Haitian relief efforts if they won the prize. We have no idea how the remaining $900,000 was spent.

A source connected to Invisible Children says the video is a joke that Jedidiah recorded and posted on a private YouTube page right after the group won the prize. We're told the bottle was filled with water, not vodka.