the FIELD RECORDINGS thread...

milliondollarsmilliondollars 568 Posts
edited March 2012 in Strut Central
raw & uncut

recorded "in the field" which means in the artists natural surroundings

sometimes very primitive recording equipment being used (in most cases without grid connection)

sometimes with ocassional background noise like playing children, passing vehicles or even animals.

rep what is worth to rep, rep what you love...

Comments

• this one i discovered only because it has been reissued recently, not too easy to find the OG.

crazy atmosphere on this one. instrumentals played by six ghetto boys playing mostly on garbage cans and empty bottles. has something like a pre- Wild Style feeling for me

highly recommended

• please add on...

• I picked this up last year. Its a box set of field recordings taken in Northern Brazil by Mario De Andrade. Andrade was a famous poet and ethnographer who was worked closely with the eminent anthropologist Levi Strauss during his formative years conducting research in Brazil (and if I remember correctly he was rumored to have had a thing w/ Strauss' wife at the time). There is a website for the tapes where you can listen to some of the recordings here--> http://www.sescsp.org.br/sesc/hotsites/missao/eng/cd01_frameset.html

Also, you may already know of this, but have you checked out the Alan Lomax Archive on Youtube? There is some amazing stuff on there that used to be relegated to the archives that is now available to the public. Don't think much (if any) of this material was ever put out on Folkways or by the Library of Congress.

• thanks for the heads up on the Lomax Archives. didn't know about this. some incredible stuff in there. the Belton Sutherland vids are mindblowing!

here are some more records which i recommend.

the field recordings from Bengt Olsson, a blues researcher from sweden. these are all the records i know from him, if anyone knows more please let me know!

the first two on Flyrigh are quite tough to find and the third was released just recently. it contains unreleased stuff from the time the first two were made.

incredible stuff, goes mad deep!!! the Southern Comfort Country has some of the best liner notes i read n a while...

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    Yosi Horikawa is a really talented Japanese artist that uses field recordings. Check these bits.

There's also a track that he did with Dorian Concept at the Red Bull Music Academy that's really good as well.

• thanks Mondeyano, this is some other "field music" i was actually talking about but i like the idea of using noises and sounds from the surrounding very much.

the Red Sound tune is really nice!

• Mondeyano said:
    Yosi Horikawa is a really talented Japanese artist that uses field recordings. Check these bits.

There's also a track that he did with Dorian Concept at the Red Bull Music Academy that's really good as well.

yeah, yosi's awesome

• Yeah that yosi shit is pretty dope.
    As far as ethnomusicologists go, I also want to mention Vance Randolph. I have a modern comp of folksongs he recorded from the Ozarks that is really fascinating to to listen to. There are also some LPs of recordings put out by the Library of Congress floating around, I haven't seen em though.