Current Flicks and TV shows strut.

DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
edited March 2012 in Strut Central
Most people are talking all about the Hunger Games. I bought Battle Royale on Blu-ray instead.

If you're looking for an action movie this weekend and it's playing in your town, maybe check out The Raid.

Mad Men season premiere this weekend. Game of Thrones next. Looking forward to watching both.

My friend keeps telling me to check out Breakout Kings. Is that any good? Every time I see a commercial for it I think dude is being Herc from the Wire.

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    dbl

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    The latest episode of South Park was a goody.

I'm happy that Community has clawed it's way back on to tv, but the latest episodes have been kinda whatever.

And Spatacus is also back, with a vengeance. And boobs. Not Spatacus himself obviously, the new guy playing him probably has the smallest set of man pecks on the show.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    DOR said:
    Most people are talking all about the Hunger Games. I bought Battle Royale on Blu-ray instead.

My boy told me about Battle Royale a long minute ago, and there has been some talk regarding whether Hunger Games author knew of BR prior to writing it.

It seems like some serious whitewashing to me.

My co-worker was like" yeah my daughter loved the book and is eager to see the movie". I axed him if he's heard of Battle Royale...

Ive never seen it and was curious about the Blu-Ray deluxe set. I heard the second one is wack.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    i keep up with walking dead, but mostly out of a commitment to the comic. cant really say i recommend the show, but the last two episodes were pretty damn good and gave me hope for a great third season.

i recently went down the breaking bad rabbit hole and watched 4 seasons in 2 sleepless weeks. i was literally watching the show during breakfast, lunch, on the toilet, and late night and very early morning. big big thumbs up. look forward to discussing season 5 with yall when it comes out

a friend gave me a dvd of trailer park boys and it was close to unwatchably retarded

• Same as Tripledub on Walking Dead

The Killing starts next week which will keep me busy and make time go quicker waiting for Breaking Bad.

Shameless(US) is still worth watching

Challenge:Rivals still has me into it

Celebrity Apprentice.

Need to watch 1st season of Game Of Thrones..

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    TV shows I consistently try to catch are:

American Pickers

Justified

I keep on forgetting to see Eat Bound And Down when it comes on so catch it On Demand.

Looking forward to Game of Thrones

I gave up on watching the Walking Dead. There's just not enough of a payoff to keep up with it.

There are a bunch of other shows I was watching but their seasons have ended like Anthony Bourdain's Layover.

Okem said:

And Spatacus is also back, with a vengeance. And boobs. Not Spatacus himself obviously, the new guy playing him probably has the smallest set of man pecks on the show.
    Yeah, I'm still watching this. The violence (While cartoonish) has been pretty crazy. In the last episode with Ilithyia at the bath was :face_melt:

Jspr said:
    Been diggin Homeland.
    This is another show friends keep telling me to check out.

batmon said:

Ive never seen it and was curious about the Blu-Ray deluxe set. I heard the second one is wack.

The 2nd one does indeed suck. From what I've read, it's not a complete rip off. I does seem odd the similarities. Battle Royale is originally a book as well (Which I've never read).

"You know what they call The Hunger Games in Paris?"

http://i.imgur.com/CGzOW.jpg

tripledouble said:

i recently went down the breaking bad rabbit hole
    One of my fav shows on TV. Looking forward to the next season!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    motown67 said:
    Justified.

I've missed most of Season 3.

I wanted to see Carla Gugino as Karen Cisco/Goodall. The same character as Jennifer Lopez in Out Of Sight.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    tripledouble said:

a friend gave me a dvd of trailer park boys and it was close to unwatchably retarded

:(
    my favourite comedy of all. it takes a couple episodes to get into, that is for sure.
    it's a lot smarter/funnier than it originally might let on.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    thats what my friend maintains. maybe juxtaposed against 4 seasons of breaking bad, i just couldnt be bothered with bubbles and his cats

Don't watch Trailer Park Boys. But I'm a fan of Rickyisms!

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    haha, fair enough.

Ricky is comedy gold, though! Rich-man's Kenny Powers OG.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    Every generation needs a hyped "Most Dangerous Game" update, I guess. American tradition for almost a century.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Trailer Park Boys is fucking awesome.

• RisingsonRisingson 696 Posts
    DOR said:

Game of Thrones next.

two weeks to go, season 1 was excellent, can't wait for season 2

The finale of Fringe season 4 in the coming weeks also. I fuckin love Fringe.......fingers crossed for a season 5

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Magic City premieres on Starz April 4th. But then i'm biased as 1) it was filmed here in Miami and 2) I did some extras work in it (blink and you'll miss me kinda stuff)

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Just switched cable companies and now have a DVR, which is amazing. Too bad I almost never watch TV.

Really looking forward to Mad Men Season 5, but since we only have AMC OnDemand (free), I'll have to watch episodes a week later. Or find someplace online.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I've started watching Archer. Recommended.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Here's the trailer for Magic City

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    The new season of Justified is great. They've introduced a whole new set of criminals, plus some real crazy shit with one of them. No spoiler.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    A few current flicks:

Young Adult - One of my favorites that I've watched in a while. Hard to go wrong with Charlize.

Midnight in Paris - I had actually never watched a Woody Allen film before, but enjoyed this. Excellent if you like literary and/or historical references; not recommended otherwise.

Toast - Enjoyed the narrative and also related to it personally, as a child of parents with lackluster cooking skills (sorry, Mom).

The Hunger Games - Pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this. Also surprised by the emotive and somber tone. The HD close-ups were really hard to focus on, though (headache-inducing). If you haven't read the book, don't waste your time.

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - Good movie, but you have to pay attention. Lots of narrow twists.

And I've watched about a million others this year but can't think of all of them right now.

• I advocate Mad Men. I've never liked a show so much. So well done and can't wait to see where the writers take it. I love the lack of a protagonist and the mood it sets on the 60s. Can't recommend it enough.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    motown67 said:
    The new season of Justified is great. They've introduced a whole new set of criminals, plus some real crazy shit with one of them. No spoiler.

Yeah this season of Justified is fantastic. It is getting comical how they have to keep finding justification for Rayland to even be involved in Harlan County at this point, but at least it's referenced on the show "how is this even US Marshall work?"

but yeah, all the new characters are excellent and every episode has had me engrossed completely. I just watched the 3 most recent "on demand" episodes in a row the other night and now I'm caught up. I was just going to watch one but it was so good I kept watching.