Record Storage / Stacking boxes

threetwosixthreetwosix 270 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
I'm throwing my lp's in storage for a year or so due to a move. I picked up some OfficeMax 14x14 boxes, filled them with records, laying a few throwaways on top to make up the two inches in height. Maybe 100 lps/box. QUESTION: Will stacking these boxes a few high result in the bottom box's lp's getting warped due to the weight? Boxes looked pretty sturdy, but these get pretty heavy, maybe 40lbs/per. I've been putting boxes in a 2x2 pattern and putting plywood between layers to better distribute the weight. Thanx!

Comments

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    I think the warp factor is more due to temperature and moisture than weight.

• I think the warp factor is more due to temperature and moisture than weight.

this is true, but storage spaces aren't exactly air conditioned year round.

if you pack each box tightly (so theyre straight up the whole time, no pressure from an angle) shouldnt be a problem

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    this is true, but storage spaces aren't exactly air conditioned year round.

They can be, just get a "climate controlled" unit.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I'm throwing my lp's in storage for a year or so due to a move. I picked up some OfficeMax 14x14 boxes, filled them with records, laying a few throwaways on top to make up the two inches in height. Maybe 100 lps/box.

QUESTION: Will stacking these boxes a few high result in the bottom box's lp's getting warped due to the weight? Boxes looked pretty sturdy, but these get pretty heavy, maybe 40lbs/per. I've been putting boxes in a 2x2 pattern and putting plywood between layers to better distribute the weight.

Thanx!

It bugs me that they are a little over sized. Sounds like you are doing good other wise. Only 2 high and plywood to distribute weight and packing them tight is all good.

Dan

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    I'm throwing my lp's in storage for a year or so due to a move. I picked up some OfficeMax 14x14 boxes, filled them with records, laying a few throwaways on top to make up the two inches in height. Maybe 100 lps/box.

QUESTION: Will stacking these boxes a few high result in the bottom box's lp's getting warped due to the weight? Boxes looked pretty sturdy, but these get pretty heavy, maybe 40lbs/per. I've been putting boxes in a 2x2 pattern and putting plywood between layers to better distribute the weight.

Thanx!

It bugs me that they are a little over sized. Sounds like you are doing good other wise. Only 2 high and plywood to distribute weight and packing them tight is all good.

Dan

I'm getting ready to do this too. So you think the plywood will actually help? I considered this....but it seems you still have the same amount of weight comming down on the boxes. I understand the THEORY of distributing weight, but in a case like this I'm not sure.

example:

each box is 5 pounds. stack 1 on top of the other you have 5 pounds comming down on the box.

now make a square out of 4 boxes.......xx (overhead view) cut a piece of plywood
    xx

to go over that then put another 4 boxes in the same manner.xx
    -- (side view)
    xx

Now you have 20 pounds distibuted through the plywood. But isn't that still going to average 5 pounds of weight on each box on the bottom.

Math heads step up!

• I don't think you'll have any problems. The boards may very well be unnecessary. Theoretically, they may not be helping to distribute the weight at all, just adding more weight period.

I just moved to New York from San Francisco and I packed my records in 27 12X12X18 boxes. I thought I was going to tell the movers that I didn't want the boxes any higher than 2 high.

WRONG.

Dudes packed them six high. I couldn't watch. Anyway

Got them all last week fine, even though the truck drove through a heat wave.

I've also unearthed boxes from storage units where the records have been burried in 6 feet of storage for 20 years.

They are always fine.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    I don't think you'll have any problems. The boards may very well be unnecessary. Theoretically, they may not be helping to distribute the weight at all, just adding more weight period.

I just moved to New York from San Francisco and I packed my records in 27 12X12X18 boxes. I thought I was going to tell the movers that I didn't want the boxes any higher than 2 high.

WRONG.

Dudes packed them six high. I couldn't watch. Anyway

Got them all last week fine, even though the truck drove through a heat wave.

I've also unearthed boxes from storage units where the records have been burried in 6 feet of storage for 20 years.

They are always fine.

I though the same thing about the board just adding weight......

How many did you get in those boxes???? About 100? So your collection was about 2500-3000 records? This is exactly the numbers I'm working with as far as number of records and box size. Thanks!!!!

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    I'm a packaging pro. Dealt with this stuff for 7 years.

This is what you want to do:

don't worry about stacking them 2 high. you can go 4 high.

filling these boxes to the brim height-wise is not very wise wise. It just puts more pressure on the records below.

you want a good 1/4" of space from the top of the LP jacket to the top of the box. This will result in the weight of the top boxes to only effect the boxes underneath--the records do not support the weight, all pressure is put on the box, and a good box can handle 3 boxes on top.

one other piece of wisdom: if you're storing those records for a year, odds are that you will not be listening to them ever again. save yourself some money, and make yourself some money by getting rid of them.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Ocassionally, I get records that look like someone took an iron and pressed all the grooves out. It may look really clean and it isnt warped, but it looks flat and usually causes skating. Is this from heat? Can packing records really tightly together or in plastic sleaves increase the heat?

• you want a good 1/4" of space from the top of the LP jacket to the top of the box. This will result in the weight of the top boxes to only effect the boxes underneath--the records do not support the weight, all pressure is put on the box, and a good box can handle 3 boxes on top.

one other piece of wisdom: if you're storing those records for a year, odds are that you will not be listening to them ever again. save yourself some money, and make yourself some money by getting rid of them.
    Thanks- will reevaluate and give these recs a bit more breathing room. I had little faith in the strength of the boxes and was using the plywood to avoid a implosion of the bottom boxes.

A smarter dude than I would have unloaded most of this stuff.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Ocassionally, I get records that look like someone took an iron and pressed all the grooves out. It may look really clean and it isnt warped, but it looks flat and usually causes skating. Is this from heat? Can packing records really tightly together or in plastic sleaves increase the heat?

Yes, Ive wondered that too. Kind of like a Tire-Fire?

Any tire-fire experts on this board?