Brasilian albums serious like the Arthur Verocai

Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
edited March 2012 in Strut Central
This is my schitt! REALLY nice album. Straight bananas.....

Please to post some super crazy Brasilian albums that you love.

Comments

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts
    WOAH, that Hareton Salvanini is awesome!

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    This soundtrack by Salvanini is also SUPER nice........

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I don't think I'm understanding what you mean by serious albums. The closest album I can think of sonically, and overall listening experience wise to the Arthur Verocai album would be the Jorge Ben Jor album, "A Tabua de Esmerelda." It's not as serious in tone, but its lush arrangements and soulful vibe feels on point.

Everybody knows about that record though. (or should know)

- Diego

SPlDEY said:
    I don't think I'm understanding what you mean by serious albums. The closest album I can think of sonically, and overall listening experience wise to the Arthur Verocai album would be the Jorge Ben Jor album, "A Tabua de Esmerelda." It's not as serious in tone, but its lush arrangements and soulful vibe feels on point.

- Diego

I just mean a really damn good album with great songs and production that you can listen to over and over again.

And yes, the Jorge Ben album, "A Tabua de Esmerelda" is fantastic!

• rather hard to find, i settled with the beautiful shadoks reissue...

crazy album! absolutely love it

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Always adored this record, and it strikes a chord w/ Verocai in that it comes across as a concept album, it's sound being so unique

This one is just so damn funky, it's got that phat rich sound that Odeon was doing in the mid 70's. Needs a re-ish badly.

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    I highly recommend Lobo's LP. It's one of the best brazilian records ever.

LoopDreams said:
    Always adored this record, and it strikes a chord w/ Verocai in that it comes across as a concept album, it's sound being so unique

Di Melo's album was reissued recently here in Brazil, but the price for a copy is totally crazy, due to copyrights and pressing it in Europe.
    Great, great album!

LoopDreams said:
    This one is just so damn funky, it's got that phat rich sound that Odeon was doing in the mid 70's. Needs a re-ish badly.

• Hehe, I just ripped the di melo lp to send to another strutter, everyone can check it here:

http://soundcloud.com/dj_mario2/sets/di-melo-s-t/

can sort a full rip for the hareton at the start of the thread too here, it's one of my stoner friends favourite brazilian records that I've shown them!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    djmario said:

can sort a full rip for the hareton at the start of the thread too here, it's one of my stoner friends favourite brazilian records that I've shown them!

brigadao

• No worries. Come to think of it, there's a rip of Previs??o Do Tempo by Marcos Valle on my soundcloud too for download here. There's another album I hold in high regard; currently people worldwide are having heavy gripsweats over it too!

• exte82exte82 202 Posts
    Lula C??rtes e Z?? Ramalho ??? Pa??biru 1975

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    I like Limite Das Aguas Lp by Edu Lobo very much

Unfotunatly I sold a mint copy of this one on a setsale list here a few month ago. :cry:
    Now I regret it badly... Thank good I ripped it before.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    That Hareton was my secret squirrel heat for a long time. I got it years ago for maybe $50/$60 and consider it pretty undervalued because it's not a common record by any means.

More under-the-radar heat:

djmario said:
    No worries. Come to think of it, there's a rip of Previs??o Do Tempo by Marcos Valle on my soundcloud too for download here. There's another album I hold in high regard; currently people worldwide are having heavy gripsweats over it too!

Previs??o Do Tempo is a great album.

This is the joint....

This too....

• exte82exte82 202 Posts
    finelikewine said:
    I like Limite Das Aguas Lp by Edu Lobo very much

Unfotunatly I sold a mint copy of this one on a setsale list here a few month ago. :cry:
    Now I regret it badly... Thank good I ripped it before.

Really great music!

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    i was in brazil last september and bought a lot of stuff like the valle posted above, here are some more records i dig:

jaime e nair
    o som psicedelico de L.C.V.
    club de esquinha (spellcheck?)
    antonio adolfo , especially transamazonica

and on a more bossa/traditional tip:
    tenorio jr - embalo
    trio 3d - tema 3d
    the green quarteto em cy, killer!!

buying records with moogman was a pleasure, i got the first azimuth for free on top etc ...

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Some classics, some slept on. Digital copies are out there.

• this one is also worth to be mentioned. def one of my top 5 brazilian albums

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    sabadabada said:

One of my favorites from anywhere^^^

Do you know this one?

Has a few re-recordings of songs from Sonhos that are at least as good.

Also:

Thank you all for posting some of your favorite Brasilian albums! I'm finding out about some great records that I have never heard or seen before.

• Just picked this up the other day. This is more of a fusion album but it covers a lot of ground and has some cool samba elements throughout. It starts off kinda Deodato meets PFunk, gets pretty mellow in the middle with some nice acoustic compositions, and ends on some Peter Frampton business. Its pretty wild. Not too raer but definitely worth picking up if you see it around.

• StringsStrings 82 Posts
    sabadabada said:

Got this one. Its insane. Can't recommend it highly enough. The movie can be downloaded as well, but without subtitles though. One of my favourite brazillian records, and one of my favourite OSTs, regardless of genre/country of origin.

How hard is it to get a copy? I got mine for cheap, but I'd like to upgrade it. Its that good. As far as I can see it has only been sold online once, last year by Moerer for $325. It has been discussed on verygoodplus, and it looks like it will be hard to get hold of a VG+ or better copy. Got nice trades if someone have a spare ;)

• Strings: I know a couple of people with copies of the Diamante Cor De Rosa OST that expressed an interest in selling it, I'll ask them about their copies for you if you want.

deleted

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Strings said:
    sabadabada said:

Got this one. Its insane. Can't recommend it highly enough. The movie can be downloaded as well, but without subtitles though. One of my favourite brazillian records, and one of my favourite OSTs, regardless of genre/country of origin.

How hard is it to get a copy? I got mine for cheap, but I'd like to upgrade it. Its that good. As far as I can see it has only been sold online once, last year by Moerer for $325. It has been discussed on verygoodplus, and it looks like it will be hard to get hold of a VG+ or better copy. Got nice trades if someone have a spare ;)

Even more rare. This has all the Jose Bertrami tracks from the OST and then the non-Bertrami tracks are replaced with other Bertrami tracks.

• StringsStrings 82 Posts
    djmario said:
    Strings: I know a couple of people with copies of the Diamante Cor De Rosa OST that expressed an interest in selling it, I'll ask them about their copies for you if you want.

Thanks! Appreciated. Send me a PM if you have some info.

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    obvious one, but this is amazing. /braeks. everyone needs it.

and there are some great Arthur Verocai arrangements on here. (singing's not that great tho)

• Think I might need to give some of the soundtracks recommended here a few more listens as they sounds like borderline James Last territory to me at the moment. Then again, I prefer the more folk/jazz Brasilian style than the easy listening stuff, so maybe they're just not for me...

Here's something from an album I've been listening to this week (which I believe Arthur Verocai had some hand in arranging):

Azimuth is what got me into Brazillian music bitd... their first is a top drawer must have.

bet one of these guys is holding a joint